Yet another "what will it run".

-

BBBCUDA

Reaction score
Headed to the track tomorrow, with my pile of used junk. Here's the combo: 1967 Barracuda, 383, flat top pistons, (not new, call it freshened up). "516" casting heads, 1.74" exhaust added, ported. ElCheapo Summit .465" lift cam, stock rocker gear, Edelbrock Rpm intake, 750 DP carb. 2" TTI headers, 3-1/2" exhaust, Super Trapp muffs. 727 auto, Dynamic 9-1/2" converter, 4.86 gears in the rear. The car is all steel. Any guesses? :burnout:

660 or 1320?
Hmmm.
7.70/ 13.1
Had that cam in a 440. Flat at 5k
Get a little more w 383.
Tongue waaaay out at the 1,000 with them cogs!
Carefull not to float or worse, drop a valve.

I figure if he has to ask,the rest of the car isnt dialed to go in the 13s,not first time out.My Opinion.Guzzi Mark

Well, to start off the morning the charging system decided to start dumping 18+ volts into the battery and boiled it over. I switched the regulator, same deal. Unplugged alternator, run it off battery. First pass, weak burnout, popping at 5K in the water box, tried to get it to go to 6K down the track, no-go, a 13.20 @ 102. Changed ignition box. Another weak burnout, still popping at 5K in the water box, screw it, shift at 5K, in high gear at 1/2 track and popping, 12.56 @ 104.6 Mph. Third and final pass, decent burnout, better 60 ft. (1.7 sec). shift at 5K, --12.4sec-- @ 103.97. If I could get it to run right, and actually pull the last 1/2 track, I wouldn't rule out a high 11. Not what I was hoping for, but not a total waste of a day..

Pretty decent,considering your situation.Hope you get it sorted out.

Pretty decent,considering your situation.Hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks, I am thinking ignition or maybe a lifter preload issue. I wish I had swapped in the 4.10's before I went, at least that way I could have pulled a little on the top end. I've got under $2K in the engine, and I'd like to see some 11's before I pull it to put my 440 in. Who knows.

I'd be looking at the valve springs. I'd think the cam should pull higher. I was going to say mid 12s... But the gears are killing you. Drop the gears to a 3.91/4.10 depending on your tire height, and I'd say low 12s.

The springs are fresh Cranes, and I have them set to 120# on the seat, give or take 2#'s. Open pressure is a little over 350#'s. I have a friend that had a MP distributor that malfunctioned at the same rpm as I am having problems. He fought with it for a whole summer, and replaced it with an MSD setup, which cured his problems. I just ordered a MSD distributor, and hope to have 4.10's installed this weekend, (29" tire). The odds aren't in my favor to make the track again, but I am trying.

i had the same popping last year started strong half track it was popping , it was the distributor , it was some screw or something that had to be set at .008 when it was popping i ran 12.19 after the popping was fixed 11.47

The springs are fresh Cranes, and I have them set to 120# on the seat, give or take 2#'s. Open pressure is a little over 350#'s. I have a friend that had a MP distributor that malfunctioned at the same rpm as I am having problems. He fought with it for a whole summer, and replaced it with an MSD setup, which cured his problems. I just ordered a MSD distributor, and hope to have 4.10's installed this weekend, (29" tire). The odds aren't in my favor to make the track again, but I am trying.

Smart man, thats why i'll NEVER use MP dizzys & boxes anymore, a PITA to curve them, the timing bounces around do to crappy bushings, The orange boxes are junk, Basically there junk period :wack:.

Well, my parts are in, I decided to use a fresh 3.91 gear set I have, Vs. setting up the 4.10's, just too much stuff to do with no time. Hopefully the MSD will fix the rev problem, and I think I can get another 1/10th or so out of the launch. It's been sucking through a 2-1/2" paper air filter so I might pull that also. I'd really like to see some 11's with the midget cam, then swap in my .528" solid.

Thanks for the help guys, I got to look at the gap between the pickup and reluctor in the distributor, and it looked correct, until I grabbed the rotor and saw a ton of side to side slop on the bushings... If it had a million miles I might have forgiven it, but it's brand new. Not too impressive.

Had my brother help me with the MSD ignition, and WOW I have RPM's! I took it for a quick blast, and it buzzed quickly to 6,000 rpm's, even with the newly installed 3.91's. Hoping for a good day next weekend.

Well, 3.91's proved to be a mistake. 60' times suffered, and the best I could muster was a 12.6 e.t. The MSD also didn't help, even though it fixed the above 5,000 rpm miss, as the cam is on it's face well before 6,000. Shifting at 6,000 slowed it down to 12.8. Best Mph was 107.17. I think my converter is way too loose for the cam, and I'm spending most of the run past peak power. I'll try 4.30 gears, and a .528 solid cam next year.

004 - Copy (3) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy ----Never mind, tried to post a vid, but no-go.

Your mph is up by almost 4. That's significant. What rpm is it trapping at with the 3.91s?

Your mph is up by almost 4. That's significant. What rpm is it trapping at with the 3.91s?

I didn't pay attention on the 107 mph pass, but the final pass it was at 5,200 at the line. The converter flashes nearly that high, so I think I am slipping my way down the track. The car E.T's faster the lower you shift it. I think 4,800 rpms. might be faster yet, but the converter is screwing me. I am thinking 4.30 rear gears, and the .528" solid would be a much better combo. Does that sound logical?

-
Back