You Aint Gonna Believe This!

-

moparker

Reaction score
I was taking my front wheels off to check the drum brakes on my DUSTER and 2 studs stripped on me! I can't tighten them or loosen them. Here is the best part. I have a set of those 15" 5 on 4" Crager s/s on there from newstaigia wheel. So torching is out of the question. I have thought about drilling throgh the lugs into the stud but that is gonna be alot of drilling. ANY SUGGESTIONS!? Please help

Just snap them off and replace the studs after. No sense risking damage to the wheels.
Good Luck.

George

There spinning either way. Thats tough. Are you using an impact gun ?

Oh! I didn't know they were spinning, I thought they were just stuck on the stud. Man, thats a tough one.............

Geo

I've tried impact while pulling on the wheel. What the f*$@! Is it asking to much for me to do the most mundane task and it actually stay mundane!?

LOL, Yes it is. Those are the ones that get you. the "easy" jobs.

is it possible to remove the center cap on the wheel to expose the dust cap? if you can do that, you could just undo the nut and pull the whole tire and drum assembly off exposing the backs of the studs... i dont know if this will work with your wheels. i bet the centers install from the inside of the wheel.

Would it be possible to take the wheel and drum of as one assembly and tac weld the studs to the drum?

No, the back of the studs would not be exposed if I'm thinking right. As far as the center cap I would have to drill through it. I'm just gonna get f#$%ed up and try to get a sympathy lay tonite. Hopefully you guys will come up with something.

How about a cut off wheel? Cut into the nut and stud to break it off? Where is memike he usually can put a positive spin on things. Back to the miller lite I geuss.

Would it be possible to take the wheel and drum of as one assembly and tac weld the studs to the drum?
Like wayne suggested, if your center cap is removable from the outside then yes. If not, It might be possible to sacrifice the C cap to get at your grease cap, only if it will fit out the center hole. Ole Murphy jumped all up into your project did`nt he, Jeez, what a predicemate. The only other thing I can think of at the moment, would be to fashion a 18 ga. piece of sheetmetal into a large funnel tight to the lugnut and Hotarc it off. goodluck

I've used a nut splitter for these issues in the past, but those wheels may not give enough room to get one in there. Maybe lots of careful grinding with a Dremel if nothing else works. Ewww.

If you have a Dremel rotary tool with a mini cut off wheel and can into the nut with out messing up the wheel. You might be able to cut into the lug nut. It may take awhile , but it might be better then a large cut off wheel.
Find somethin to protect the wheel if it slips.
Good luck.

this tool for lug nuts if that wont work try a small metal chisel and cut through the bolt

8766ecframesplitter.jpg

That looks like it would ruin my wheel.

I Have Taken A Sawsall And Cut The Stud Off Between The Wheel And The Brake Drum I Think It Is Still Faster To Drill Out The Studs Start With A Small Bit
Good Luck

I have a dremmel. I was wondering what a nut cracker looked like. Can any of you explain how this happened? I never put these on with a impact. I allways used a torque wrench set at 60ftlbs like they man. suggested. What the F#$%?!

I would need a really long blade for the sawsall. Do thay sell long ones?

We might be on to something now. Was it a bear to control?

-
Back