You guys 'think' you got HVAC troubles

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So, this week, "the end of" my part of getting my Dart painted, is installing the OD unit for the neighbor's AC/ furnace

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/your-guide-to-the-japanese-car-culture-54990_1.jpg

And.......everything fell to you-know-what

First, Lowe's screwed up and sold him an oversized unit. Instead of noticing that his 30 year old furnace was a 65--70% AFUE and downsizing the new 80% plus unit, the sold him a new unit with more heat OUTPUT than his old one. I under--fired the damn thing to keep it from short cycling

And, (we didn't know at the time) due to old remodel, some of the ductwork is "marginal"

======================

On to the AC............

Lowes sold him a 3 ton (36000 BTU) when a TWO ton would have been more than ideal. The good news is they sold him and indoor coil with an external equalized TXV instead of an orifice

The BAD news is the cheap --*** Winchester condensing unit HAS NOT START relay. Like a window banger this means the damn thing won't start until pressures equalize, "not something you want" with a TXV

========================

ONTO the fireup..............

So I get things together, started up, and things don't look too bad. UNTIL I went to remove the gauges, THE LIQUID SERVICE SCHRADER is STUCK OPEN!!!!!

This would not normally have been a big deal, except I yanked out the disconnect, shutting down the compressor. I probably SHOULD have just shut off the liquid line service valve and let it "pump down" right then and there.

=========================

So what we have NOW is.........

A liquid service schrader stuck open, and the gauges still hooked up

It still won't start

And have evacuated a recovery tank, tossed it into the freezer, and spend 3 trips 1/2 hour apart trying to get enough out of the indoor side to get the damned compressor to start again..........

I did not need this. I'm getting too old for this. Plus, I don't have a recovery machine "exactly designed" for R410. If you are not aware, it operates at about TWICE the pressures of R22

Sorry for the rant LOL. "May have" gotten it fixed but STILL don't know why it would not start.

Dumped out some refrigerant using a freezer cooled recovery bottle, got it to re-start by jerry rig'in a start relay, and pumped it down, changed the schrader, and started it back up. When it warms up again, I'll adjust the charge.

Meanwhile, since I've not "done this" in 20 years, I need to find a start relay and cap for a frickin Bristol compressor

Well things look "OK" today. Went over and ran the system, adjusted the charge a bit. Still don't know why it would not start. Hope this is not a twinge of things to come. Over 60% relative humidity in their basement!!

I'm not too happy with the new HVAC system in my son's house (that I paid for) Same scenario, replaced a 85% system with a 98% system without doing a Manual J study. It works but it short cycles and it's always cool/clammy in the house. I am tempted to hook the gauges up and bleed off a bit of freon. Not the correct way to fix it but I don't want to pay to replace it with the correct size. It has been long enough that the company doesn't want to do anything about it.

And every time it does anything the least bit strange good ol Del is going to hear about it for the rest of his days. :D
That's what I hate about working on other people's crap.

Greg, I thought the same thing! I sure hope for your sake Del, that these people are decent and dont call you over all the damn time.

I installed a boiler in a house for a friend of mine. She bought the house after someone started a remodel and lost interest half way thru. Well lets just say I had to re run almost all the hot water piping, except the stuff that was in the walls. She had more problems with that house with the radiators getting air bound. I was over there at least twice a month in the winter helping her out.. It got old really quick!!!! Thank god she sold that house and I dont have to worry about it anymore.

We are good friends, they are good people. Scott painted my car. On a side note he just scored a two--post through a friend of his, FREE. The thing (I think a Mohawk?) is just about twice as heavy as my Challenger, and I've been told mine is a good one. He's nearing 50 I guess, and didn't take him long to put it into use, LOL

This afternoon I went over and put the recovered refrigerant back in and it seems to be OK.

-
Back