You guys use Permatex copper sealer on steel shim gaskets?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you use Permatex Copper sealer on your steel shim gaskets, or do you have another favorite? Mike

some people say to use it, some say not to. i do use it with great results

Wow quick response 340. I hate to put them on dry and I don't like the idea of silicone everywhere.

yea, i try to stay on top of things.lol anyway, i always use it on import engines with aluminum heads to steel blocks, and run high levels of boost. i am talking about 30-38 lbs. i have never once had a blown headgasket when using it.

as a final thought, it cannot hurt to use it

i say use it, as if there is any imperfections in the manifold sealing surface, then you would avoid all potential issues. like if you are using a used manifold, that may have scrapes in it from being removed at one time. i call it insurance

I just got the intake machined today. The head surfaces were machined also.

It's a good thing I was having problems getting the bolt holes to line up. The manifold was warped bad. Milling heads can really goof things up.
She's straight now.

I use Copper Coat on my Cometic head gaskets.

I agree with 340plot.

I use Permatex Copper spray, on all my stuff....works good.
My DSM never saw more than 25 psi boost....and the headgasket never let go....course it was a MLS Cometic Gasket and I used ARP Head Studs as well.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I bought a can, sprayed a few coats, let ti set up to tacky and installed my intake tonight. It worked good. Mike

engine 184.jpg

I agree with 340plot.

I use Permatex Copper spray, on all my stuff....works good.
My DSM never saw more than 25 psi boost....and the headgasket never let go....course it was a MLS Cometic Gasket and I used ARP Head Studs as well.

lol, another dsmtooner.lmao

-
Back