You have to read this.

-
Badart,
Thank you for the article. I have a 10 year old son and I had him read it. He is extremely intelligent and struggles with it. We had him tested for asperger syndrome but after 8 hours of testing the doctors said he is just highly capable. He is currently reading at a 12th grade level and doing 11th grade math. His downfall is in communicating and developing relationships with his peers. Just the other day he told me "I wish I didn't know so much". I think the article helped him.
~Michael

Badart,
Thank you for the article. I have a 10 year old son and I had him read it. He is extremely intelligent and struggles with it. We had him tested for asperger syndrome but after 8 hours of testing the doctors said he is just highly capable. He is currently reading at a 12th grade level and doing 11th grade math. His downfall is in communicating and developing relationships with his peers. Just the other day he told me "I wish I didn't know so much". I think the article helped him.
~Michael

That is too cool. I just think that it's amazing hearing about kids like your son.

With my son we never told him he couldn't do something or he wasn't old enough. He started reading maps when he was 3. He memorized the bus routes and bus numbers to get him from school to home so I did not have to go pick him up. He gets frustrated with the way the city designed the streets and placed bridges and constantly tells me "It would be better if they had done it this way". He has difficulties with children his age but he can carry on an in depth conversation with an adult for hours. He loves to read, build and draw his own towns and maps. We have more Lego, Lincoln logs and K'nex kits than I can count. I am going to start teaching him computer programming this winter because he has been pestering me about it for a year now. If only I could get him to help with the Dart.
~Michael

.............That is truely amazing.........it is really a shame that there is way too many kids out there that are not given the chance too go further in life for various reasons........we need to change our way of thinking................kim........

My son is also, well, lets just say, "On the ball." His reading level is 12th grade. He is 9 years old and understands most of "The Lord of the Rings"

His teacher today, at parent/teachers conf. day admitted to not only being blown away, but in shock at the level of understanding he has when asked about what he read. She also admitted to having him help her understand a passage or two in the book. So now I say, WTF did this teacher learn or is my son that bright in just simply getting it?

Now if he could just calm down at test time........

Dang, now I feel somewhat innept. I read and understood LOTR in 6th grade. my best friend read War and Peace a year later (i got bored out of my skull at page 200, but read Atlas shrugged when he couldn't). I can read and retain info like no one's business, but dang that guy just blows me out of the water. and he's only 2 years older than me.

My wife is a high school English teacher and has had a few really bright kids in her career. This young man is in a higher class than any she has seen though. Unfortunately there is peer pressure to dumb down to the level of the other kids to get along or the bright ones get shunned. It takes a strong personality to excel in school. Plus with the no kid left behind programs and budget problems; there are no gifted programs in most schools. The parents have to guide and help the kids like Dartman and Rumblefish. Keep their spirits and curiosity up.

A good read. I made it a point when my kids were growing up that I would not demean or be critical of them. I encouraged whatever interests they had. I also made known that they were expected to contribute. Around the house, yard work and for the community as a whole. Computer games - sure, after our work was done. My son just graduated with a degree in mathematics, my daughter is presently studying at a bible college.

I won't bore you with all the stuff I could say about them. I will relay one short story regarding my son. We always made it a point to go to the local "friends of the library" book sales, where old books are sold for funds going towards new books. My son would often buy old math textbooks. One night when he was in college he called me all excited. Dad, he says, you probably don't remember this particular textbook I bought one year at the library sale - but I gave about 50 cents for this textbook... I just found out that it is some rare, out of print and highly sought after book that is worth about a hundred bucks!

As for cars, he did help me restore my old '67 Firebird, ground up. He was 14 when we started and 19 when we finished. I gave it to him.
C

My wife is an elementary school teacher and is a firm believer that everything is a learning opportunity. When she reads to our younger children they talk about each page and predict what is going to happen next. She has the patience of a saint and believes that all children have amazing potential. Luckily even with budget cuts our school district still offers a gifted program. It has been reduced to one day a week but they at least offer it still. My son started school early. He was only 4 when he entered kindergarten but he really wanted to go to school.
@ Rumblefish my son also read the Lord of the Rings books and loved them. He is just finishing up the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. Might want to check it for your son.
~Michael

I see he mentioned me in the last couple of lines. I'm just stupid enough to think i can change the world. Yep that's me. I'm still trying to change AMERICA. I'll take on the world as it happens.
Small Block

-
Back