You never forget your first.

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I received my first Mopar as a "hand-me-down" from my brother after the second gas crunch of 1979. It was a 1970 Rally Red Duster 340. With the current rise in muscle car prices, it's hard to believe that these cars just weren't desirable.
The car served me well through high school and local college until somebody did a hit-and-run on my left front fender. I decided it was time to take my pride and joy off the road with hopes of restoring it to it's previous glory.
Unfortunately, the restoration project got shelved during medical school, residencies, marriage, divorce and raising three wonderful children on a full-time basis.
Through all these years, I have kept my first car in storage and continued to dream of the day that it would be back on the road with me behind the wheel. I had hoped that I could do the restoration work myself but I know that I don't have the time, equipment or facility to tackle the job myself. Looks like I will probably need the help of a professional restoratio facility to get the job done.
My youngest son, Sam, and I spent Sunday taking inventory of my parts, sucking out rodent nests and cleaning up the interior. I've included pics for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

PS. Anybody have any comments/ suggestions about a reputable Mopar restoration facility in Pennsylvania?

Attachments

• P1020009.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 405
  • P1020058.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 398
  • P1020024.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 391
  • P1020033.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 400
  • P1020067.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 406
  • P1020013.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 403
Nice car! So is it a restore to stock or restore to more modern flare?

I want to keep it mostly stock. I have deluxe interior door panels and a split bench with center armrest that I scrounged from a bone yard years ago. I'm sure that I will try and get more ponies out of the engine during the rebuild but still keep the stock appearance.

love it, and it is even a column shift

That's awesome man. I am speechless other than to say you suck. lol

Welcome to the site, btw!

I sat drive it the way it is.............. I smell surviver

Welcome and congrads. By the way, what else you got under those tarps behind her.

Welcome to FABO! You'll have a blast here.

But I'm just curious about one thing. Why'd you post this in the Website Help / Suggestions forum? You should be in The Welcome Wagon where everyone can properly make your acquaintance and have a look at your sweet old Duster.

Nice car... wish I still had my first!! Envious but happy you cared enough to keep it all that time!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!! Great father/son project!!

My car is stored in a converted chicken house. The other cars aren't owned by me; however, my older brother has a 67' notchback 'cuda 5 slots down from me

Welcome to the best site on the net. We even have car **** here. Good luck finding some one to fix it up.

I live in York, Pa and know of a small shop that did a great job on a friends Dart. If you are close to York we could get together and go down to this persons shop.

Have been looking for my 1st Mopar (1973 Dodge Dart Sport) with no luck.

Attachments

• My_73_Dodge_Dart_9.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 304
Totally auto is a very well know mopar resto shop in PA http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

I'll ask over on Moparts in the restoration section for you about good/reputable shops in and around PA. A word of advice if may, would be to spend the $ on having a good well known shop do it, then try to save some $ and have a little or unknown shop do it. Theres too many resto shop horror stories because of that decision.

Heres that link for you: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6398788&an=0&page=0#Post6398788

Nice Duster BTW! That must have been a fun car to have back then. I had a red 70 340 Dart in college so I relate to those good times. Very cool you got your son invloved with it.

I live in Lancaster, Pa just across the river from York. I just started the search for resto shops and would be willing to check out the one that did work on your friends car. I have called Totally Auto about my Duster. I am getting ready to send my pics to them for their opinion. I would like to check out their shop.

I guess the deciding factor is going to be what kind of work the shop does. I'm not looking to have a concourse trailer queen but rather something that looks authentic and not "over restored."

I live in Lancaster, Pa just across the river from York. I just started the search for resto shops and would be willing to check out the one that did work on your friends car. I have called Totally Auto about my Duster. I am getting ready to send my pics to them for their opinion. I would like to check out their shop.

I guess the deciding factor is going to be what kind of work the shop does. I'm not looking to have a concourse trailer queen but rather something that looks authentic and not "over restored."

Just Let Me Know, They Do Nice Work For The Price...

Thats a very sweet Duster. Your gonna find lots of great info and good deals from good people on parts.

Have fun with that project

Thanx for the imput about shops. I did check out the moarts link. I should register on that site as well.

FJR, be prepared. You're obviously able to judge for yourself, but you should know Moparts has a slightly different 'feel' to it than FABO does.

Welcome to FABO and congrats to a nice survivor! I wish I had my first 65 Dart! But I sold it due to lack of money!

Is that a stock 340 engine you got there?

-
Back