You suppose to be driving a chevy dude

-

MemphisDart

Reaction score
I am definitely not a sensitive person, but it trips me out when I go to the parts store, mechanic or pull up at a gas station and someone always makes a comment about me driving a Mopar (oh yeah I am a black guy or African American for the politically folks out there.)

I take a ribbing from my Chevy and Ford friends who have the classics with the 22 to 30 inch rims on them and the mega sound systems.

And I was in Autozone today and the guy ask me what type of car i need parts for and I said a 72 dodge dart. And he replies "i didn't see that one coming. Huh?

Just odd to me:???:

what an ***. i guess thats not any better than having my duster called a nova every other day and some fool asking me whats in it when there are 360 callouts smeared on the quarters and 360 four barrel emblems on the scoop.

Isn't it great to not fit the "mold". I never understood the whole thing. You need to do this because everyone else does...

He was basically going off a stereotype. He expecting you to say Impala or Caprice. He is ignorant.

Hey MemphisDart, what reactions do you get whenever you tell somebody that the engine is a slant six?

It seems I don't fit in any mold and I have five vehicles. 2 Signets, 1 VW, 1 Mercedes and a Chevy truck I wouldn't trade for anything. My low 64 Black Signet is awesome and everyone loves it chevy people too, the 66 blue Signet is being traded for two paint jobs, one on my truck and the VW. I was offered 25 g's for my 64 Signet and as I always said, its not for sale. Yet all this does not make me a Mopar fanatic, just a hot rodder..
66016.jpg

Hey MemphisDart, what reactions do you get whenever you tell somebody that the engine is a slant six?

The look I get is priceless especially when I tell them that I want to keep it in there.

two recent conversations about the slant-

Inner city custom shop mechanic: Man you need to get rid of that engine and put something else in that Dart, ain't sh*t you can do with that.

Suburban hot rod shop: Oh sh*t a slant 6, man i used to work on them all the time, I can make that baby hum:burnout:

I think that shaker scoop! Any pictures of the install

i commend you for holding your tongue, had that been me, i would have asked him WTF that was supposed to mean

i commend you for holding your tongue, had that been me, i would have asked him WTF that was supposed to mean

I would have added and what pos are you driving probably some lame tuner with a shity sounding muffler!!:finga:

I am definitely not a sensitive person, but it trips me out when I go to the parts store, mechanic or pull up at a gas station and someone always makes a comment about me driving a Mopar (oh yeah I am a black guy or African American for the politically folks out there.)

I take a ribbing from my Chevy and Ford friends who have the classics with the 22 to 30 inch rims on them and the mega sound systems.

And I was in Autozone today and the guy ask me what type of car i need parts for and I said a 72 dodge dart. And he replies "i didn't see that one coming. Huh?

Just odd to me:???:

Could be he was just making conversation. I don't think it's anything more than that.

I own 2 Ram diesel pick ups, a GMC Sierra, a Chevy Silverado, and a Ford Chateau Club Wagon. I do much of the work on them myself, because I enjoy it and find it relaxing. Never in a hurry, and try never to get too upset about things that happen to go wrong.

The closest parts store to me is an Advanced Auto store. I've gotten to know the crew there fairly well, and they never know which brand I'm there for. lol

Could be he was just making conversation. I don't think it's anything more than that.

I own 2 Ram diesel pick ups, a GMC Sierra, a Chevy Silverado, and a Ford Chateau Club Wagon. I do much of the work on them myself, because I enjoy it and find it relaxing. Never in a hurry, and try never to get too upset about things that happen to go wrong.

The closest parts store to me is an Advanced Auto store. I've gotten to know the crew there fairly well, and they never know which brand I'm there for. lol

maybe so...just thought his statement and the look on his face was odd.

I pulled up to a car show earlier today and parked next to this high dollar 69 Camaro with a radical paint job... I got out of my car and the 1st words out of his mouth were, "that things not gonna fling oil on my car is it"? I replied back I wouldn't waste used Hemi oil on that!

Last night at another car cruise in I met a older black guy that had a dart swinger (nice looking ride too) later come to find out he owns 7 other mopars two of which are original 426 hemi cars.. Did I mention he was African American? lol Oh I forgot to mention I am Mexican too... well I like to call myself Texican.

Come on Frankie that comment was as stereotype statement as they come,i commend you for letting him slide due to his ignorance. No matter what we read or are told there are still prejudiced folks in this country and stereotypeing is every where, don't know how many times folks poke fun at me be'in a redneck an how wer'all inbread an we cain't spell, emagine that.

I don't fully understand the issue...

If you're a MoPar guy, and you're driving your Mopar, and someone driving another brand makes a snide remark, why would that set you off? It seems to me that if they were so sure of their ride, they wouldn't have to try do denigrate yours.

I've always thought that it's the personal knowledge that we're driving Mopars that gives us the satisfaction and the piece of mind that makes it unnecessary to denigrate someone else's car, our Mopars do that for us. ;)

I don't fully understand the issue...

If you're a MoPar guy, and you're driving your Mopar, and someone driving another brand makes a snide remark, why would that set you off? It seems to me that if they were so sure of their ride, they wouldn't have to try do denigrate yours.

I've always thought that it's the personal knowledge that we're driving Mopars that gives us the satisfaction and the piece of mind that makes it unnecessary to denigrate someone else's car, our Mopars do that for us. ;)

without getting too deep into this...there are not many minorities in my area who drive Mopars...Chevy and Ford are the cars of choice for many minorities...so it just surprises some folks to see a black guy cruising in a Mopar...and not having huge rims with spinners on it...I would never get upset about a comment like that, it's just that I've heard it over and over again...definitely not attacking any one group of people because even blacks make some type of crazy remarks like " where you get that car from or you the only black dude I know with a Dodge Dart...and I'll end it at that.

Speaking of minorities driving MOPARS, You should see the look on peoples faces when they see a NATIVE CANADIAN in a RESTORED 70 340 Swinger. LOL. I take it with a grain of SALTED SALMON.

Ray Cook, some of you in the north east might remember him... He raced a 70 Challenger Convertible, very successfully.

Here's a pic of his car.

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/d...ocks/challenger-ss/raycookdirectconnec-3.html

and another...

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/d...stocks/challenger-ss/raycookdirectconnec.html

Reprinted from the Oct. 19, 1979 issue of National DRAGSTER: "New Jersey's Ray Cook bagged his third and biggest Stock crown of the season.

He also won the US Nationals at Indy in 1980.

He raced a 70 Challenger Convertible, very successfully.

:burnout:

Big Willy is another famous african american racer. (R.I.P)

Thanks guys for the informative conversation...as for me and my Mopar, we will hit the streets.:salute:

-
Back