young and need help

-

7swinger2

Reaction score
hey everyone i bought a 1972 dodge dart and am building it for a fun project car im young and a little new at this scene so any info is greatly appreciated... my question is what will i need to do to the front suspension on my car to add more meat for my rims and tires..i am going for a low pro touring look on the car going to keep the old dog dish rims just going to get them cut and widened...the car has a big block 383 and i just purchased my under body headers also i have purchased 4 wheel disk breaks...in the rear i have the 6" relocation kit and yet to found time to put it in...but i am lost on what i need to do to the front any help?

there,s a couple of choices you can either buy your stuff locally as u can afford it and take aweekend to put it in or go thru pst or just suspension and order the kit. since you,ve got a big block i would put in the larger torsion bars.your doing pretty much the same thing that im doing to my dart good luck

There are some basic things you could do to tighten up you car's handling. The number of upgrades you could do to your car just depends whether you want to terrorize the neighborhood or do organized road racing.

Some basics:

Sub-frame connectors.

Poly bushings.

C-body tie rod ends and fat adjustable center link.

LCA stiffener plate.

Fat anti-sway bar.

Full K-frame welding and added gussets.

Thicker torsion bars.

Quality shock absorbers. Fiberglass hood and/or fenders.

There are a lot of things that can be done to improve handling. The best thing for you to do is read through some of the threads here to get more info.

I think what he's asking is how he can get a wider rim/tire combination up front. I can't tell you what size you can get because my build is 100% custom, but get a tape measure and the size tire you want to squeeze in the and figure out what backspace you need to make it work. I've never tried it, but I would think you could get a tire from Discount or similar that is used if you're just using it for mock-up. I don't know for sure though.

im not going for the road racer kinda of feel but i have the power if i ever wanted to... but more of the stock old sleeper type and still debating on what trans im going to use i have a hemi 4speed and also a built 727 manual valve body but thats still up in the air of what one im using...back to my problem but with a low wide tire look..like i said in the post im keeping the dog dish hubcap wheels but getting them cut and widened... i have never seen but think it would look cool...i kept the bench seat and just getting everything recovered getting a new paint job but its staying the old pea green puke color i just want a clean low wide tire look...and when i originally put the big block in it had fender well headers but that would never give me the clearance i need tor a wide front tire i have everything for the rear but is there a way to add some meat...i have heard of some kits but they range into the thousands and that is a little salty...being young alot of old timer buddys of my dads have helped me out and got me deals but i think im stuck at this point

There is this thing, I can't remember what it is called, but you can bolt it up to your wheel studs and use it to measure backspace and tire and wheel clearance so you get the right fitment the first time. Blast, if I could only remember what its called.

Btw, stockton wheels make widened mopar steelies. Just not sure how much they run, never have emailed them for a quote. Maybe someone will chime in who has experience with stockton wheels

There is this thing, I can't remember what it is called, but you can bolt it up to your wheel studs and use it to measure backspace and tire and wheel clearance so you get the right fitment the first time. Blast, if I could only remember what its called.

Btw, stockton wheels make widened mopar steelies. Just not sure how much they run, never have emailed them for a quote. Maybe someone will chime in who has experience with stockton wheels
Is this http://www.percyshp.com/store/Wheelrite/Wheelrite-Wheel/Tire-Fitment-Tool/prod_112.html what you were talking about??

go to rimsntires.com/specs.jsp it tells what different size rims will do with offsets and how much a bigger tire will fill out the fenders

As a general guideline rim width on disk brake equipped/stock suspension A body you will be limited to a 15 x 7 with a max back space of 4.25". The contact point is the upper ball joint and the wheel's rim. On a 17" wheel the contact point is the tie rod end and rim. Back space around 5.5 - 5.75", though variances will occur with anything non stock.

-
Back