Your max rpm for your big block????

-
My 496 with a mild cam stops making more power at 6200 rpm so that`s where I go with it. Check out Dan Dvorak`s machine shop website for lots of info on big block oiling.

7500 rpm w/440 +.030 over speed pro forged pistons on stock rods w/replace style rod bolts, stock pump, windage tray & no other oil mods.

Mr.....ferguson
How long has the 440 been running?????????

Mr.....ferguson
How long has the 440 been running?????????

Moper .......
All drag ....but will be highly geared and highway driven.
I most likely will just install a high volume pump and deep pan and use arp bolts for sure.

T67 - Not sure on the cam you're running, but I don't see a reason to have to cool the springs with that use. I'm guessing a highway rpm around 3500-4K and not for hours.

My engine has been together since '88 and I used to turn it to 7200 all the time for years. Then I went to the track and found out it quit making power around 6300 with stock port 516 heads so that's where I shift at now until I get some nice heads. 383 stock stroke, milodon single swinging pickup, roller lifters, cross drilled crank, balanced assy etc.

7500 rpm w/440 +.030 over speed pro forged pistons on stock rods w/replace style rod bolts, stock pump, windage tray & no other oil mods.
X2 here back in the day and we are talking about 12 years ago and the engine still running today, i did shift my 4 speed at 7,500 from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd 4th gear usually i shift at lower rpm's cuz the other guy already quit and trust me that car i use to beat on it more than 4 days a week on street races and was my only car so everyday use, and yea, it hurts a lot on the pocket with gas!

like everybody else stated, you can run a wedge up to the about 7 grand with a deep pan, good oil control, full grooves, 1\2 pickup, hv pump. myself once i start getting to the 7 grand range on a engine i like to up the oil system a little more. 10 quart pan (especially on a hemi because they don't return oil real well) & external set up. usually do some deburing on the pump, work the oil holes on the crank, pretty much massage every part.

i also run my bearing clearences on the looser side, i like around 0.0028-0.0032 on the mains. run the rods around 0.0024-0.0026

all these are street/strip motors

external on the hemi, milodon pump
3109051.jpg

3109027.jpg

stroker 400/499 we built for my buddys dart, indy maxx pump
70roadrunner023.jpg

68barracuda001.jpg

modified a 7 quart moroso on my dads 493 for external, milodon pump, line isn't on yet
70roadrunner035.jpg

This is my 400 based 500 ci engine.
Limiter set at 7400 rpm.
250 plus pass's on block.

IMGP1124.jpg

-
Back