Your thoughts on this combo in the 1/4 mile

-

ProStreetDuster

Reaction score
My 17 son has been trying to get the right setup for his 1/4 mile goal and wanted me to post this combo to see what you guys think it will run.
I already gave him my opinion.
So here is his list,

72 Demon
360 bored 40 over
KB 107's trying for 9.5-9.8 compression
Windage tray
small port J heads, ported, port matched, 3 angle valve job
Edelbrock Air Gap and Holley 750 Vac sec
Lunati Voodoo 268 Duration .494 intake/.513 exhaust lift
Summit Headers
Clutch fan
Mopar performance Distributor, chrome box and accel super coil
2 1/4 Exhaust with 40's Flowmasters (already on car)
727 trans with trans Go shift kit and stall converter in 2400 RPM range
4.10 posi
SS leaf springs or just some good heavy duty ones and a pinion snubber.
MT ET street Radials around 26-27" tall

How much does it weigh? If it hasnt been lightened signifigantly I'd say high 12's with the converter and smallish exhaust being a sticking point. But hey thats just my opinion and I hope it it runs what he expects!

With that cam i'd go with more converter,i ran that same cam in my stroker last season with a 3500 stall converter,other then that the rest of the set up looks good...:thumbup:

As far as weight goes, he's going to run 15 x 3.5 Centerlines in the front, and 15 x 8.5 centerlines in the back and it's a bare bones optioned, manual steering, manual brake car, so it's a pretty light car already.
He'll Probably go with a fiberglass hood later and maybe some light weight racing seats.
He doesn't have the converter yet so that has some flexability, but it's also going to be his daily driver for school and work, so 3500 stall might not be a good thing for this. Maybe a 3000 stall?
I was wondering about the exhaust size to, but since the Mufflers and exhaust are new, that may have to wait until later.
He's trying for mid to high 12's.
Hey 340srule, what valve springs did you run with that cam?
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll say 13.50
Hope your son gets on the track and lets us all know how it runs soon. :thumbup:

Lunati recommends a 2400 stall with that cam, so I think you're ok. But I think the exhaust needs to be 2 1/2. If everything is dialed in properly I don't see why low 13's or high 12's wouldn't be possible with the right conditions.

That is pretty much the same build I have in the 75 dart and she has gone a best of 12.9 at 104. My cam is a little smaller (480 lift) and I have a 904 instead of a 727, but I have an "X" pipe, a weiand single plane, and a MP 2600 stall convertor.

I would expect you to run a couple of tenths quicker than me with proper tuning and a decent 60'.

I agree w/ everyone else, biggest thing that stuck out to me was the exhaust. I'd go 2 1/2" if at all possible. Some other tidbits for him to consider, take 'em or leave 'em...

-What fuel pump is he going to run?
-Think about a carb spacer maybe?

Both are fairly cheap and can make a difference. Good luck!

i think 2400 stall for that cam is just fine, especially as a daily driver. you could go 2500-2800 stall, but thats as big as i would run on the street. 2.25 inch exhaust may increase torque a bit, but 2.5 may be needed, run it as is and find out. on the carb, are you running a holley with a rear metering block? if not do so. also add the quick change spring kit. i would start around 72/80 but you may need to change up. sounds like its gonna run hard.

My 17 son has been trying to get the right setup for his 1/4 mile goal and wanted me to post this combo to see what you guys think it will run.
I already gave him my opinion.
So here is his list,

72 Demon
360 bored 40 over
KB 107's trying for 9.5-9.8 compression
Windage tray
small port J heads, ported, port matched, 3 angle valve job
Edelbrock Air Gap and Holley 750 Vac sec
Lunati Voodoo 268 Duration .494 intake/.513 exhaust lift
Summit Headers
Clutch fan
Mopar performance Distributor, chrome box and accel super coil
2 1/4 Exhaust with 40's Flowmasters (already on car)
727 trans with trans Go shift kit and stall converter in 2400 RPM range
4.10 posi
SS leaf springs or just some good heavy duty ones and a pinion snubber.
MT ET street Radials around 26-27" tall

That should run pretty good, but the pinion snubber doesn't work all that great. I would also opt for a low gear set for the trans...
And maybe change the carb to a 950HP.
Brian

The convertor and exh will really hurt it. Get more convertor and bigger exh and he might hit mid 12's. Good luck , Ron

-
Back