YouTube training videos

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Step right in.

IMG_9891.jpeg

Touched a nerve on this one. I have a cousin Mike who's a nice guy in general, but he won't listen to anyone when it comes to mechanical or electrical things, 'cuz he can find everything he needs on Youtube. Or so he thinks...

Uh, huh. Yeah. Right. (How's that working out for you, Mike?)

Had to cut him loose a few years ago, as he was arguing with me about fans (furnace fans and blower motors), and even though I have over 30 years of experience in my field, and used to be a Technical Phuqing Trainer, Youtube gave him different (aka: simpler) advice.

One guess as to which one he listened to.

Last I heard he's still fighting the same issue.

Stupid2.jpg

AND NOW an annoying story from the old days. When I was stationed at NAS Miramar, our RADAR shop was WAY out on the W end of the field, nobody much ever went there, and we worked 24 on/ 48 off. One afternoon after the normal work day (after 3PM aka 1500) one of the Chief POs came in there to change oil. He was NOT a mechanic. Repeat, NOT

So he asked me "how?"

I asked him, "can you safely get it off the ground?"
"Yes"

"Are you going to change the filter"
"No."

OK, get it up and safely supported, look under the engine pan for a plug, get your pan under there, and drain the oil out.

"OK"

SOMETIME, LATER:

Comes over, says
"I got the oil back in, but now the car won't move."

OH ****!!!

SURE ENOUGH

Back then, most GM I saw (66? 67?) did not have drains in the auto transmission, but THIS ONE DID

So not only did he have to go over to the store --before that closed---to buy ATF, but he had to buy more oil, plus figure out a container to now hold the original old engine oil (that was still in the engine) as well as the 5 quarts that had been POURED IN ON TOP of it.

Never occurred to me, until now, that in San Diego, he probably could have just gotten away with draining some of the mixed oil out, adjusted the oil level with the now mixed new/ old oil, and given up on the oil change "till next time."

The 63 SS 327 P-slide I arrived there in, late May, 1970

_mg_6201cs-jpg.jpg

Our shop WAS where the curser arrow is near the top of the photo N. of the big crossing taxiway.
MCAS Miramar.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back