Yukon Axles

-

kenny b

kenny b
Reaction score
Bought a set of Yukon axles for my 71 Demon. Stock housing dimensions and the axles are 28 inches in length. I have the green bearings with 3 inch studs. When I bought the housing it had No axles and I was offered a 4:10 or 3:91 center section. I chose the 4:10 with the clutch type sure-grip. Put it all together and first time out tore the splines off one of the axles. It looks like the axle only went into the diff side gear carrier about 1/4 of an inch. Called the place where I bought the axles and they said that I had to remove the centering pin in the diff. Axles didn't go in any further. Do I need special length axles or are they different length between the cone type diff than the old clutch type. Has anybody ran across this before. I put the axles back in and parked the car for the winter. Didn't take any pics. Thinking of getting new ones soon.

Kenny B

Sounds like your axles are too short. I would start with measuring from the center section out to the flange. As Lelo Dart said might be a b-body housing.

I had a set of those axles, same issue. Too short for a A body housing. Used strange the next go around, no more issues.

Thanks for the replies. Mancini's has a set that are 3/16 inch longer but I can't see that working. Probably going to call Dr. Diff first of next week.

Kenny B

Thanks for the replies. Mancini's has a set that are 3/16 inch longer but I can't see that working. Probably going to call Dr. Diff first of next week.

Kenny B

Cass has the best customer service their is.......

I experienced the same thing. The Yukon axles for the A-body housing would only reach the second half of the splines in two piece spiders by about 1/4". I eventually had a need for an axle about 5/8" narrower than stock so shortened a C-body housing to make them work. Dr Diff will fix you up correctly.

When you first put it together and it tore the ends of the splines off I bet it also got the 2 sets of splines in the sure grip out of sync. When their not aligned correctly you'll never get the axle to go all the way in. You should also pull the 3rd member and clean all the metal shavings out of the sure grip (requires complete dis-assembly and don't forget that the bolts in the sure grip are left hand threads) or your asking for big trouble such as completely trashed bearings and gears.

A buddy of mine ran into this very same problem with his 72 Duster. He brought it to me and I disassembled the sure grip and cleaned out all the metal and reassembled it making sure to align the side gear splines and removed the thrust pins and put it together and it worked fine.

-
Back