zinc oil useage?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
360 dirt track engine. oil changed after each session. flat tappet cam broken in. should I use high zinc/breakin oil? With FT cam failures I want to be proactive if I can. thank you for your time. RR

I would think that you do not need breakin oil any longer, but think that it would be wise to continue with the zinc. Probably going to get a lot of controversy on this one.

Loaded question. Put "zinc" in the search box and study up.

Or buy a race type oil with zinc in it. Like the Joe Gibbs stuff. Or most diesel oils also if zinc loaded. Rotella T is like 1350ppm of zinc.

And when you “study up”, believe the non detergent advice. You can not buy non detergent oil off of the store shelf.

Use penn grade or driven. It’s not that costly on Summit
Or Valvoline VR1, Amsoil, Redline, Mobil1 15W-50. There are several available with lots of ZDDP to protect flat tappet cams. You just might have to put a little more effort into finding them as they might not always be found at parts stores or big boxes.

Where you've got extended warmup times, shell Rotella SAE-30W T-1 Off-Road diesel oil. Tractor Supply Co.

Not break in oil.......
B/in oil is for.....breaking in. You have done that now. B/in oil has different additives.
Select a running oil which has Zn/Ph in it & good to go. I would NOT use separate additive.

Oh OK obviously I misread what the prior poster earlier posted on non detergent oil. (it did sound a bit suspicious!). good info, much appreciated & I will take you guys'
advice. Thank you. RR

I use Summit's house brand in my "Buzzin Half Dozen Slant" as my grandson calls it. Quite a few people around this area use it in both go fast motors and stock cruisers. No issues that I know of.

Spanol Engines up in Cheney carries the Driven or the Penn Grade. He has whatever you need. give Chuck a call.

360 dirt track engine. oil changed after each session. flat tappet cam broken in. should I use high zinc/breakin oil? With FT cam failures I want to be proactive if I can. thank you for your time. RR
What do you mean by "oil is changed after each session"?

Cheap and easy to find

image.jpg

What do you mean by "oil is changed after each session"?
decades ago an experienced racer told me that he changed his oil (& filter iirc) after each Saturday night session & at the time I had just accepted it as gospel thinking how toxic that a dirt track environment must be. it certainly does sound excessive & later someone else has said they changed the oil every time but only the filter after several races. I am open to thoughts/suggestions. RR

Oil composition breaks down from high heat, that would be above 240°. Otherwise, contaminates should be captured by the oil filter.

-
Back