zinc oil useage?

-
At what RPM?

I don’t think it went over 7k. It was a 555 bbc. The customer was all fired up to test some other oil (I forgot what it was) but the cost to test two oils made him wobble a good bit. A third oil would double the money he already spent.

Just got off the phone with them. They recommended the TR1R 10w30 for both Vixen and Gladys. Summit sells a case of 12 for like 139, which ain't terrible. I may go ahead and do that next payday. He said their PPM of ZDDP was 1800

Well crap…now I need to call them because I looked on their web page and I can’t remember if they using ZDTP rather than ZDDP in that oil.

What's the difference?
One is zinc diakyl dithiophosphate. The other is zinc dithiophosphate. IIRC some of the higher end synthetics are using ZDTP rather than ZDDP and for the life of me I can't remember why they were using it.

My best WAG right now is the ZDTP worked better with Group IV and V base oils.

That oil is pretty close to what Torco said for RRR. 2 bucks difference in price.

I want to say that the Torco oil is Group IV and V base stocks but it looks like it's a group III base oil. Which means you can use it with alcohol based fuels. Group IV and V oils hate alcohol based fuels.

I want to say that the Torco oil is Group IV and V base stocks but it looks like it's a group III base oil. Which means you can use it with alcohol based fuels. Group IV and V oils hate alcohol based fuels.

you are speaking another language to me with all that..lol

you are speaking another language to me with all that..lol

OK...I had to call Torco. The oil they picked for RRR is NOT a synthetic blend by the strict definition of synthetic.

Group III base oils are highly re-refined mineral oils. Group IV base oils are Ester based and Group V base oils are PAO and some other things I forget.

The upshot is the Torco oil IS legally a synthetic blend but they, like me don't agree with the SCOTUS decision to label Group III base oils as synthetic. So they don't call it a synthetic blend oil.

By law, you can call an oil "synthetic" using Group III oils at 10%!!!! That's cRaZy.

I forgot to ask how much of the base oil in the Torco oil but my memory was its 50% Group III base oils and the rest is Group II oil and the additive package.

EDIT: Group IV oil is polyalphaolefin base oil. Group IV oils are Ester based oils.

-
Back