Indy/RHS Heads

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJR Racing

Reaction score
I recieved these heads from RHS, and I must say that I don't get impressed easily. But these recieved my attention. They are some very nice castings, clean and heavy, more so than a stock casted head. The machining on them was very good for production castings. The bowl area is as I figured it would be, very deep. The intake port window is about like a stock casted magnum head, with very little room to grow into.

The port shape is a good design, and has most of the work that generally needs to be done on most other heads is already done or casted with this work in mind. The head cc'd at 171 intake port runner 64 cc exh. runner and 62 cc chamber as recieved. With a stock 1.92 and 1.62 intake and exh. valves from a stock magnum head.

There are a few draw backs that I can see and one of them is the size of the rocker stud that they have for this head. They use a 5/16 thread for the head side and a 3/8 for the rocker side. This seems to be kind of wimpy to me, as the small block chevy's have a problem with breaking these with high lift cams with high durations at .050. The studs are about half the length of the std. stud for the chevy, as you can see in the pictures. There's no room for a stud girdle so it seems that the rocker jam nuts will be close to the top of the stud. IMO I think it really needs to be improved with something beefier, and at least equal to the sbc stuff.

With minor bowl blending and a gasket match as far as I dare go, the heads performed fairly well, and really better than what I expected. But with such a large bowl they really need to be used on a 390 or larger CI engine. These heads are a very good or should be very good performers on engines of this size. The intake port window is or looks really small but it works just fine. I could see doing some moving of the pushrods and running a set of offset rockers and getting flows in the 320-340 range, and port volumes in the 190-200 cc range. Overall these heads would be a very good starting point for most any stroker engine. The selection of valves is rather slim at this time so a change to 11/32 valves should cure this problem. The stock guide size is 8mm so a simple reaming of the guide takes care of this. And now this opens up a good selection of componets to be used.

The spring seat is already 1.550 so cutting the guides down for seals and clearence is about all it needs here. With the bead locks on the factory 8mm valves it has enough clearence for a .550 lift cam without any additional work. But if changing to 11/32 stem valves you will need to get them .150 long as the stock 8mm valves are the same length as the stock sbc valves but the locks are in a different location. This may be able to be cured by using .050 tall locks and .050 taller retainers. The stock installed height is 1.64 with the factory valves, so a longer valve I think would be better than cutting the spring pad down .100 and taking strength out of the heads at this point. Even though I know they say to cut it there and that much.

So from what I see this has to be one of the better flowing heads from a cost effective stand point. I would recommend them, and this is saying alot from me. I personally would rather have a set of these than a set of Eddy's, even though they'er heavier. Any way here are some flow #'s after doing some bowl and gasket work. Keep in mind that this is with the 8mm stem valves so this is going to change with the 11/32 stuff.

lift.............Int...........Exh

The exhaust side was just cleaned up from the seat to the guide and the rest was as cast.

Louis Cruz 001.jpg

Louis Cruz 002.jpg

Louis Cruz 003.jpg

Louis Cruz 004.jpg

Louis Cruz 005.jpg

Louis Cruz 006.jpg

Louis Cruz 007.jpg

I knew you'd like'em. he he

I agree about the studs and the magnum push pinch isn't my favorite but hey if the #'s aren't affected by it too much then cool..... just another high velocity/speed area in the port.

Sounds like good heads to me.:thumbrig:

The exh. side is like a W-2 and there's alot left there for porting but I didn't want to get the exh. flowing too good or at high RPM's it will have a chance of running lean. Sucking the fuel/air charge out the exh..Now if your going to use NOS then port away. I could see the exh. going 230 ish or so.

The short side has already been laid back a good bit in as cast form, and really doesn't need any more as the flows show it to work very well. Weather Indy or RHS came up with the port shape they did there home work. Hopefully after the holidays I'll get the chance to get a 11/32 valve in it and flow it again.

Well the Racetrack is calling me, and I have to go. lol

That's a very good report.

My friend with them was concerned when the Hughes report was posted, as was I. These might be a good choice for one of my engines coming up in pedastal form. I like the factory style look of them. A little grinding of the RHS and one X and you're sort of good to go.

I'd be interested in seeing how they work with a 2.02 11/32 valve in them fully ported.

Thanks for the write up BJR.

I'm tempted to buy a head and tell BJR to go untill it's junk to see where the walls are a go - no go. Those intake numbers are very ihgh for just a bit of work and I would love to see where the exhaust goes.

I want to get a set of these. I have magnums right now and I think that someone put 2.02 valves in them, So I want to transfer everything over to these heads from valves to valve springs how much would the cost range be for bigger valves and cutting them for dual valve springs?

Always apreciate your insight on everything mopar bjr!

Those heads on a 4" stroke small block would make some good power.

I agree! Those heads would work great for a towing rig/4x4 stroker engine.

BJR,

Is there enough meat to drill out the rocker stud pad for larger studs? Thank you for the great write up! :thumbup:

Bobby, what valves did you use for your tests? If the numbers from hughes are to be believed, your bench seems happy. I have yet to see other's results. So i'm just wondering what the trend will be on them.
Intake Average CFM Exhaust Average CFM
.100 66
.200 116 91
.300 177 138
.350 202 155
.400 224 167
.450 239 171
.500 252 174
.550 262 176
.600 263 177
.650 263 179
.700 246 179

Since they are a very similar design to the EQ heads I'd think the stud girdle Hughes engines sells for the EQ heads should work just fine. I'm contemplating drilling out my EQ pads to use bigger studs. Looks like there's plenty of meat there. What do you think Bobby?

Since they are a very similar design to the EQ heads I'd think the stud girdle Hughes engines sells for the EQ heads should work just fine. I'm contemplating drilling out my EQ pads to use bigger studs. Looks like there's plenty of meat there. What do you think Bobby?

I was going to buy the EQ Iron Rams or the fully ported edelbrocks, but decided on these.........Bobby is going after it for my 410 Stroker. I am using the Jomar Rocker Girdles across the studs. Hughes told me that they can be drilled out to accept a bigger stud. I am hoping the girdles take care of the weakness in this area. I would have Bobby drill them out for bigger studs but I already have the ALL the parts to finish it off with the smaller ones. If I didnt have them then I for sure would have probably went with the LA version and the good old design of the SHAFT MOUNTED ROCKERS.............I will do that set up on the next stroker that I have most of the parts for already in a few months.

GO GETRRRRRR BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!! I only need 700 horse out of this thing..8)
HAAAAAAAA

I'm tempted to buy a head and tell BJR to go untill it's junk to see where the walls are a go - no go. Those intake numbers are very ihgh for just a bit of work and I would love to see where the exhaust goes.

The thing is that when they cut the seat in the heads that they left a fairly large ridge in the bowl area that I removed and I narrowed up the VJ and use a back cut valves on both the intake and the exh. sides. I also took the short turn down a bit from as cast, and redid the radius on it. I haven't done anything to the guide as of yet but I'll get to it after I cut the larger valve stem size.

I want to get a set of these. I have magnums right now and I think that someone put 2.02 valves in them, So I want to transfer everything over to these heads from valves to valve springs how much would the cost range be for bigger valves and cutting them for dual valve springs?

You would be looking at $450.00 plus shipping. This would be for enlarging the valve seats and recutting the bowls and flowing the heads, cutting the guides and the spring pads.

I agree! Those heads would work great for a towing rig/4x4 stroker engine.

BJR,

Is there enough meat to drill out the rocker stud pad for larger studs? Thank you for the great write up! :thumbup:

Ram,
Theres plenty of room for the larger studs, even in the port where the stud boss is. I don't really see a problem there but I'm restricted on these as they belong to Mad Dart, and what he says go's.

Bobby, what valves did you use for your tests? If the numbers from hughes are to be believed, your bench seems happy. I have yet to see other's results. So i'm just wondering what the trend will be on them.
Intake Average CFM Exhaust Average CFM
.100 66
.200 116 91
.300 177 138
.350 202 155
.400 224 167
.450 239 171
.500 252 174
.550 262 176
.600 263 177
.650 263 179
.700 246 179

Dave,
I used the factory 8mm valves with a large back cut and a narrow .030 wide seat. But keep in mind that I already did work to these to get the #'s.

I agree.

Ram,
Theres plenty of room for the larger studs, even in the port where the stud boss is. I don't really see a problem there but I'm restricted on these as they belong to Mad Dart, and what he says go's.

Bobby, sent you a PM

If the Bigger studs will work and thread pitch is the same I say go for it.

I just need to make sure the hardware I have will work with it is all............

Louis,
The top of the stud is the same but the bottom is a small 5/16 where as the sbc are 7/16, alot more strength IMO. The only problem that I see is that they may be too tall for the valve covers with the girdle installed.

Louis,
The top of the stud is the same but the bottom is a small 5/16 where as the sbc are 7/16, alot more strength IMO. The only problem that I see is that they may be too tall for the valve covers with the girdle installed.

I have taller aluminum covers with thick Cometic Gaskets also to accept the Girdles........shouldnt be a problem.

Thank Bobboy, I didn't think you did any work to them. Did you flow any with a std seat and valve? On the studs... I believe there are guys who are drilling and tapping the larger holes, but I dont know what they are using for the stud part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back