MuuMuu101's 68 Dart, A Learning Process...

-
Yep. It's almost done. We're ordering some of the last bits like shifter, tach, shift light, radiator hoses, fuel pump, etc. Hopefully, the parts come quickly and I should have this car by the end of the month.

Parts were ordered on Wednesday. Steering column was modified to fit the Borgeson box and fuel lines are being created.

Last edited:
Glad they are working on it finally! I'm really a bit surprised that they are not tying the bottom of the torsion bar crossmember together somehow.

Glad they are working on it finally! I'm really a bit surprised that they are not tying the bottom of the torsion bar crossmember together somehow.

It's a little difficult with how massive the T56 is, but the tunnel and trans brace are pretty darn strong. The new trans brace that follows the contour of the tunnel is in plane with the torsion bar crossmember.

Visited the shop this morning. The car is getting there. Fuel lines almost done. We're just waiting on a couple of fittings. They're installing a remote oil filter as we had some trouble clearing the TTI shorties. Modifying the fan shroud to make it fit and cool better. Some of the pullies needed some spacing to align. Shifter and tach are installed and are great! But she's almost there. They should fire her up for the first time sometime next week or early the following week. Sorry, I forgot to take photos.

Visited the shop this morning. The car is getting there. Fuel lines almost done. We're just waiting on a couple of fittings. They're installing a remote oil filter as we had some trouble clearing the TTI shorties. Modifying the fan shroud to make it fit and cool better. Some of the pullies needed some spacing to align. Shifter and tach are installed and are great! But she's almost there. They should fire her up for the first time sometime next week or early the following week. Sorry, I forgot to take photos.
Did they light her up yet did you get a chance to drive your car? Details :D

Did they light her up yet did you get a chance to drive your car? Details :D

I just talked with them yesterday. They are getting fluids ready and fixing some of my wiring. I probably won't drive it till I pick it up. Finding collector car insurance for this has been a pain, but I think I'll have something worked out.

Just gonna drop a follow here. Awesome build man. I noticed in your first post you said something about a mini baja club? If by that you mean baja mini bikes I've got one I've done some stuff to. They're fun little things lol

Just gonna drop a follow here. Awesome build man. I noticed in your first post you said something about a mini baja club? If by that you mean baja mini bikes I've got one I've done some stuff to. They're fun little things lol

Thanks man! No, it's actually a college SAE club. Think of a very mini sand rail/dune buggy that's powered by a lawn mower engine.

919455_464727296952438_1662258042_o.jpg

They're having problems with my parking lights continuously on and the turn signals not working. Driveshaft was just dropped off today. Waiting till tomorrow to figure out when I can pick her up.

Your getting there man! :steering: remember the cones are your friend so Dodge them not Ram!:rofl:

Your getting there man! :steering: remember the cones are your friend so Dodge them not Ram!:rofl:

Lol. I think I'll hold off on the autocross for a couple of months. I want to shake it down on the streets and enjoy it for a little first.

As of Thursday... Driveshaft is in, seat belt harnesses are being installed, wiring harnesses are being fixed, and the brand new fuel regulator was bad out of the box. So a new was supposed to show up Friday, supposedly. Looks like I'll be picking the car up next week.

Does that have the third member in it we built here? Did you ever get a chance to break it in? If you haven't, don't forget to do it. And like I always say, DON'T FORGET THE OIL.

Wish I could be there to see the look on your face when you get to drive it!!!!

Russ.

Does that have the third member in it we built here? Did you ever get a chance to break it in? If you haven't, don't forget to do it. And like I always say, DON'T FORGET THE OIL.

Wish I could be there to see the look on your face when you get to drive it!!!!

Russ.

Thanks Russ. The first thing I did after I assembled the rear end was put oil in it. I have not broken in the rear end.

The note I got today... "After a long day of tracing wires, repairing connections, and some new pins on several connectors we were able to get the wiring fixed and everything working. The new fuel regulator is installed and test for pressure. We expect to run the car tomorrow. We will bolt in the console and cover the rear seat pan. If shake down goes well, we should have the car ready to go on Friday! I can confirm tomorrow."

Stressful week due to the Dart. Hotchkis goes to fire the motor yesterday and it's misfiring and building pressure in the radiator but is staying cool. Back and forth between Hotchkis and IMM and we can't figure out what's wrong. It's got the symptoms of a blown head gasket but has no signs of oil and coolant mixing in the engine or radiator. I'm having Hotchkis fix 2 minor details and I'll tow the car next week to Superior Engineering in Anaheim to diagnose. 95% chance the Dart will not make it to Fall Fling.

Well, I got a phone call today, "Whenever your ready, feel free to tow the car to the engine shop as the car's ready." My response, "I'll see you in 30 minutes." I took a half day at work and had AAA tow the Dart to the engine shop. I drove it a wopping 10 feet to get it lined up with the trailer. I will definitely be on a learning curve. I'm not used to the clutch or carburetor yet. But the problem with the engine was that the vacuum advance was connected, but the engine doesn't produce enough vacuum to sustain. I dropped the car back off. There are a couple small things that need to be done and it should be ready by Tuesday. However, I may not be able to pick it up till Thursday. Depending on how comfortable I feel driving home on Thursday, I may or may not take it to both days of Fall Fling.

Video of the car running. We were putting it back inside on the lift.

20161021_124106.jpg

20161021_124115.jpg

20161021_124124.jpg

20161021_124134.jpg

20161021_124144.jpg

20161021_124147.jpg

20161021_124209.jpg

very cool. do post more pics of the cage and suspension when you can. also what fuel tank are you running for the auto cross? stock type with baffles or fuel-safe style ??

-
Back