MuuMuu101's 68 Dart, A Learning Process...

-
very cool. do post more pics of the cage and suspension when you can. also what fuel tank are you running for the auto cross? stock type with baffles or fuel-safe style ??

These are all the pictures of the cage I have on me. I believe we used the Jegs 4 or 6-point kit for the main hoop and then added the diagonal bar to it. The side members are all custom and they swing out. It's difficult, but I managed to get in and out of the car without swinging out the arms as well.

As for fuel tank... Bone stock. I'll run it mostly full and we extended the vent tube quite a bit. That's how Hotchkis runs it on the E-max Challenger and they don't have any problems.

Roll Cage.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

Interior Mock Up 3.jpg

I took a vacation day and went to pick up the car today! Had my friend come by the house pick me up and we cruised our way down to the shop. We get to the shop and there the car is ready to go. The mechanic was installing a new driver's side rear view mirror for the final touch. There are some little other bugs here and there that need to be finished, but the car was very driveable. Well, the mechanic and I get into the car for a quick 15 min test drive (even though the mechanic has been driving it every day this week to fine tune everything). The car roared, cornered flat, and was super stiff. Between the electric fuel pump and the engine, you couldn't even here the turn signals clicking along. I still need to get used to the side door bars as well. It's definitely a lot more race car than I'd like, but it's still an awesome car.

Well, my friend and I get going. We drive two blocks away to the local gas station. My friend is admiring the car from behind. We get to the gas station and my friend comes up to me and says, "Your right tail light was out, but besides that, your car is cornering super flat." So, I call the shop and tell them I'll be back even though the lights were working 2 minutes ago when I was there.

I make a right turn out of the gas station and almost immediately the car shuts off. As I'm coasting I turn the key and the car starts up I [censored] into second, and then again into third and it shuts off again. So, I turn into the closest side street and call the shop. The mechanic comes over and we found out the engine has no fuel pressure. Turn the key and we can here the pump. We unscrew the line leaving the fuel regulator and not much is coming out. So, either my brand new fuel pump crapped out on me, which wouldn't surprise me as the fuel regulator that came with that kit crapped out last week, or the gunk from the fuel tank clogged up the filter (first time the tank has been completely full since the build started 2 years ago). So, we had to flat tow the car back to the shop. Since they're going to have it, I'm going to have them fix even more minor stuff.

Starting the day off, I knew something funny would happened. When my friend asked me if I was excited, I really wasn't. Me and this car have this weird history and connection. Nothing can never be right between us. At the end of the day, while everyone was bummed, all I could do was laugh. It's just another memory in the books. We'll see what happens in the next week or two.

20161027_150754.jpg

I don't know the end of the statement. It's not the shops fault. It's my terrible luck.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Some days are just that way, you know?

It's get better Samy, much much better.

Russ.

Thats pretty much normal for a new build. Its always something for the first few miles or hundred miles.

Thats pretty much normal for a new build. Its always something for the first few miles or hundred miles.

I figured. That's why I wasn't as bummed as everyone who was with me. It just kind of sucks that it's been moving all week and then once I turn the keys, it decides to poop out. But she'll come around.

...When my friend asked me if I was excited, I really wasn't. Me and this car have this weird history and connection. Nothing can never be right between us...

I can completely relate.

A friend of mine and I have both own my Duster 360 twice now. It was his first car and we became friend due to it when we randomly ran into each other in a wrecking yard and got to talking about our cars. I later sold it back to him, and then got it back in a trade deal. In all, neither of us has been able to do anything to this car only once, it always seems to take multiple times to get anything right. He got to the point where he could pull the 4 speed in like 45 minutes he had to do it so often. I spent 2 years chasing a motor noise and unable to drive it when I got it back. It was my own fault, but as typical for the two of us, it shouldn't have happened but did. Lost another year when I was unable to solve an overcharging issue, and in the end it fixed itself (same alternator, same VR, etc., and yet it works right now). I say all of this with a shutter, too. I am at this moment waiting for a call to tell me the car is painted and ready to be picked up. Then I have to get it home and put it back together. So many opportunities for things to go wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. And when it is right, it is really right. Heck, I drove it as my daily driver until the late '90 and as far as I can remember it only let me down once, and it was sitting in the car port at the time. Oh wait, I had the end of the clutch fork break off once, but it wasn't a huge deal. Weird, but not the end of the world.

Just saying that it might not be you, it might just be the car. My friend and I figure either someone died or was conceived in my Duster, maybe yours is similar?

lol... She hates you.... Now hate her back and stick your foot in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
They like it rough.... :) :)

Well, everyone this week has been asking me, "Did you get your car back?!" And all I can tell them is "No." The Dart was way far back on my priorities this week as I had a Project and an Exam due on the same day. On top of that, SEMA was going on so I'm pretty sure nothing happened with the car, but I didn't bother asking.

So, very little update. I haven't had time to pick up the car as I've been very busy. It doesn't look like I will for another 2 weeks. They've been driving it and working out the bugs. They installed a gauge pack under my dash as the fuel and water temp gauges are intermittent. They also fabricated and installed window crank spacers so now I can roll the rear windows down.

501191183.jpg

What's the red light on the left? Oil pressure warning? Shift light?

It's a shift light. We had installed that a couple of months ago. Since I needed some gauges we decided to incorporate it into the gauge panel for aesthetics.

I took a vacation day and went to pick up the car today! Had my friend come by the house pick me up and we cruised our way down to the shop. We get to the shop and there the car is ready to go. The mechanic was installing a new driver's side rear view mirror for the final touch. There are some little other bugs here and there that need to be finished, but the car was very driveable. Well, the mechanic and I get into the car for a quick 15 min test drive (even though the mechanic has been driving it every day this week to fine tune everything). The car roared, cornered flat, and was super stiff. Between the electric fuel pump and the engine, you couldn't even here the turn signals clicking along. I still need to get used to the side door bars as well. It's definitely a lot more race car than I'd like, but it's still an awesome car.

Well, my friend and I get going. We drive two blocks away to the local gas station. My friend is admiring the car from behind. We get to the gas station and my friend comes up to me and says, "Your right tail light was out, but besides that, your car is cornering super flat." So, I call the shop and tell them I'll be back even though the lights were working 2 minutes ago when I was there.

I make a right turn out of the gas station and almost immediately the car shuts off. As I'm coasting I turn the key and the car starts up I [censored] into second, and then again into third and it shuts off again. So, I turn into the closest side street and call the shop. The mechanic comes over and we found out the engine has no fuel pressure. Turn the key and we can here the pump. We unscrew the line leaving the fuel regulator and not much is coming out. So, either my brand new fuel pump crapped out on me, which wouldn't surprise me as the fuel regulator that came with that kit crapped out last week, or the gunk from the fuel tank clogged up the filter (first time the tank has been completely full since the build started 2 years ago). So, we had to flat tow the car back to the shop. Since they're going to have it, I'm going to have them fix even more minor stuff.

Starting the day off, I knew something funny would happened. When my friend asked me if I was excited, I really wasn't. Me and this car have this weird history and connection. Nothing can never be right between us. At the end of the day, while everyone was bummed, all I could do was laugh. It's just another memory in the books. We'll see what happens in the next week or two.

View attachment 1714983654
I like the boxes u built for the main hoop to weld to. I bent the 1/8" plate to fit my floor board-was a pain in the ***, didn`t even think about the box deal.

I like the boxes u built for the main hoop to weld to. I bent the 1/8" plate to fit my floor board-was a pain in the ***, didn`t even think about the box deal.

When we first took a look at the Jegs kit when it came in, we weren't impressed that the role hoop was going to be welded onto a plate. The guy building the car thought it would be best to box it in and I am glad he did. We both thought it would be a stronger and safer route.

Saw this on Facebook. Looks like after all that time, you finally got the car back :)

I filmed some stuff yesterday and was going to post a video; however, my video editing software is having trouble rendering my GoPro footage.

When we first took a look at the Jegs kit when it came in, we weren't impressed that the role hoop was going to be welded onto a plate. The guy building the car thought it would be best to box it in and I am glad he did. We both thought it would be a stronger and safer route.
might be, I welded the edge of my floor plates to the new 2x2" subframe connectors that run thru the floor seems pretty darn stout, hope I never test it !LOL Good lookin dart.

So, as some of you guys may have figured out, I picked up the Dart yesterday. She's awesome, but I'm definitely not done with her. All I can say for now is that she's a Riot!

Here's a Walkaround video of the Dart:

20161209_110219.jpg

Very nice. Of course you'll never be done! They never are!

Which mufflers did you end up with?

Were the fans running when you started it or is that just the fuel pump? Somehow I can see an in-tank pump in your future if that's the pump (didn't seem like you're a fan of the sound).

Very nice. Of course you'll never be done! They never are!

Which mufflers did you end up with?

Were the fans running when you started it or is that just the fuel pump? Somehow I can see an in-tank pump in your future if that's the pump (didn't seem like you're a fan of the sound).

Talk to me about it how they're never done. I have to change the oil in the engine as it's the stuff from the engine builder and only good for 100-200 miles. Like I said in the video, I have the driver's door trim and want to install that. The only problem is this door is from a '69 or newer car so there's no holes for the trim (I hate drilling holes, but I'll have to do it). I also have another cool change that will change the outward appearance just a tad.

The exhaust is TTI's full X-pipe system with shorty headers up front. The muffler's are the Dynomax Super Turbos. They really sound awesome. Idling and driving around, the engine sounds fairly aggressive. Once you get on it the car just roars. My only problem is that I get drone between 1800-2000 RPM, so mix that in with the electric fuel pump (the noise you noticed in the video) and things get annoying pretty quick.

The tank is the stock tank and we have a Holley Blue fuel pump with a pressure regulator on it. Our first set (pump and regulator) failed on us, so we had to replace it. I'm going to see if the pump is mounted on rubber isolaters. Either way, I'd probably get some sound deadening pads and place them in the trunk just above where the pump is mounted.

I have the same exhaust system except I have the long tube step headers and Dynomax stainless welded Ultra-Flos. I have a drone in about the same range, but I'd expect mine are actually louder since when I had side exit, I had the super turbos. Maybe I'm just so used to driving a flowmaster super 40 equipped I5 Colorado that it doesn't seem to loud.

My friend has a Chevelle that had one of those blue pumps on it, and it sounded a lot like that. They are just stupid loud. He eventually swapped to an HP series holley pump which is a lot quieter and so far has been more reliable. Given your experience thus far, my friend's experience, and also having seen fuel pumps die constantly on Roadkill, I can't say I regret my decision to do an internal pump. The problem is that you'd need a return system for a tanks inc or aeromotive setup. I have the Aeromotive Phantom in-tank system with the 340 lph pump and the thing is quiet. Light hum when you flip the key on and can't hear it when the engine runs. I think we talked about this on Woodward lol.

-
Back