‘64 Dart GT - Moving to bigger wheels

-

Greg D.

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have a ‘64 Dart GT convertible with the original 13” wheels and hubcaps. I want to move up to bigger wheels.

I’ve done a lot of research on this site; which has been very helpful.

I believe I’ve made my decision but before I pull the trigger, I thought I’d run it past y’all.

Fronts
14x6 Cragars (sbp) 3 3/8” back spacing.
205/70-14 BF Goodrich tires

Rears
15x7 Cragars (sbp) 4 1/8” back spacing
225/60-15 BF Goodrich tires

I want 15’s on the car, but with manual steering, I was thinking of 14’s in front (less footprint to rotate).

Its a /6 225.

I’ve seen one other Dart with 15’s in the back and 14’s in front. Am I overlooking anything that would make this a bad idea?

Thank you
Greg

50/50 odds of having the wrong spare when you get a flat. Weird-*** appearance to the car. I'm a big fan of one-size-at-all-four-corners wheel and tire selection. Your "front" spec (14 × 6" wheels, 205/70R14 tires) is a very good one for all four corners.

And unless you change the bolt pattern, good luck finding 15 in wheels with the 5 on 4inch pattern.

I put 15x7's with 4 1/4" back space on my 66 and on my Swinger. 225-70's on the 66 and 255-60's on the Swinger. I left the stock 14's on the front. I was after the look.View attachment 1715101495
001.jpg

001b.JPG

Now I sold my 66, I dont need small pattern wheels any longer. :thumbsup: Thanks..

Greetings all,

I have a ‘64 Dart GT convertible with the original 13” wheels and hubcaps. I want to move up to bigger wheels.

I’ve done a lot of research on this site; which has been very helpful.

I believe I’ve made my decision but before I pull the trigger, I thought I’d run it past y’all.

Fronts
14x6 Cragars (sbp) 3 3/8” back spacing.
205/70-14 BF Goodrich tires

Rears
15x7 Cragars (sbp) 4 1/8” back spacing
225/60-15 BF Goodrich tires

I want 15’s on the car, but with manual steering, I was thinking of 14’s in front (less footprint to rotate).

Its a /6 225.

I’ve seen one other Dart with 15’s in the back and 14’s in front. Am I overlooking anything that would make this a bad idea?

Thank you
Greg
Yep, I've run some mix & match combos, not the same reason as others tho'. While it's nice to have all four corners the same, a spare is a spare, given the compact/
mobility kit era We live in You can't do much worse. Keep in mind all the extra traction combined with the more important detail diameter, is going to reduce the
stopping power of the OE brakes & encourage fading to occur more easily, so try not to go too far up in dia. esp. on the front.

Not sure what where you are located but in some states it will not pass a state inspection with 14's and 15's.
Rod

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight. I’m still on the fence, but I’ll post a picture once the deed is done!
Thanks again
Greg

A37CF847-8D2C-4EBA-8769-1077A66EBAAD.jpeg
And it’s done. I did end up going with 15’s in the back with 14’s up front. I like it. I may lower the front torsion bars just a bit though.

As always... thanks again for all the great feedback.
Greg

Greg, what is the rear tire size & offset? Any mod needed to the inter fender? I will have a similar combo when I'm done! Good info! I swaped out an 83/4 with aftermarket big bolt pattern axles!

IMG_1010.JPG

I went with 205/55x15 Cooper's on 15x7 rally wheels and if you look close I have small and large bolt patterns . That will change in the future when I get around to installing my 8 1/4" rear axle with 3.23

Dart Left.jpg

Macman...
I went with:
Rear: Cragar 61754 w/ 225/60 BFG tires
Front: Cragar 08060 w/ 205/70 BFG tires
Through this process it has become clear that in the 50+ years this car has been around it had some kind of front end hit to it. Car, rock or water buffalo, something pushed my driver front fender back a bit. I have 1/2 in clearance. Long story short... I wish I went with 205/60 BFG tires in the front. Slightly lower profile would have suited me well.
Greg

The '70 AAR Cuda and TA Challenger came with 15in but different size tires. E's front, G's back, 60 series. Not sure what size that relates to now, BUT It had a slight rake. Me I would go with 15 inch. wheels, with a slight rake from tire size, if you want that. To much rake is hard on your front suspension, I have always been told.

-
Back