.030" longer push rods and where to find them.

-
I guess I wasn’t clear about my point.....which was.......
When everything is stock, those spacers don’t seem to have any wear issues.
I looked at a few I had here, and they just look like they’re polished on the side, but no evidence of wear.
But then...... why would they?
There is plenty of clearance between the rockers and the spacers when all OE parts are used.

The hold downs in the pic look like the ones Indy supplied with their rockers, and then later on Comp switched to them as well.

The early days of the Comp BB Pro-Magnum rockers came supplied with OE type hold downs, which weren’t a good match for those rockers at all.
The fairly coarse texture of the rocker bodies and the way the side of the tab on the hold down interacted with each other, the rocker would end up filing a groove on the bottom corner of the tab on the hold down.

It would be interesting to know if there is a difference in the side clearance, per pair of rockers, with the aftermarket vs stock hold downs.

FWIW, through the years, I’ve had several customers run Ede heads with all the stock rocker gear.
No issues reported.

View attachment 1715743225
I understood what you were speaking of and agree that with a complete stock setup there should have been no problem.

I just went out into the shop and as I have a drawer of different aftermarket hold down kit remnants I measured some. They are all wider by .030"-050" than the factory ones.

Your point is well taken by me.

I just went out into the shop and as I have a drawer of different aftermarket hold down kit remnants I measured some. They are all wider by .030"-050" than the factory ones.

It’s been years since I put a set of the original Comp Pro Magnums(that came supplied with the stock hold downs) on a motor, but how I remember it is that no massaging of parts was necessary.
When they started coming with the black hold downs that look like what the OP is using(although the Indy ones and the Comp ones are steel), if you tried bolting it all down onto a head, it doesn’t quite fit.
The rockers are all bound up, and “something” needs to be relieved to be able to arrive at the desired side clearance.......... so, it does appear that those hold downs that come with the Comp rockers are wider than the OE pieces.

I have the same fitment issue with the Mancini rockers when using their aluminum hold downs.

From an end user standpoint, the 32 thin heat treated shims and separator springs that came with the Crane Golds were a piece of cake.
I used several sets of those through the years......... just assemble all the pieces onto the shaft and bolt it down....... done.

In 2018 when i assembled it i couldn't find stock hold downs or spacers so i ordered stuff from Mancini and it seemed to work but started getting noisy at the end of last year. I think these spacers O/d aren't large enough they just don't seem right.
My parts should be here tomorrow and ill go from there oh yeah i also was pricing roller rockers and yeah can't afford them at this time.

i have roller rockers but didn't want to spend money on pushrods for those when i plan on changing the cam next year.

i also was pricing roller rockers and yeah can't afford them at this time.

The factory spacer rings actually have a pretty small profile......

7F559809-EA0A-43F2-8B95-8EBFD7278CFD.jpeg

Last edited:
The factory spacer rings actually have a pretty small profile......

View attachment 1715743533
Well ****! So how the hell did this happen? And the roller rockers i have are 1.6.1 and I'd have to pull the heads and open up the pushrod holes, and after inspecting them I'm a little hesitant to use them as they are used.
I found a shim and galled shaft so i was really thinking just get a better new set instead of using someone else's past problem.

The thing a lot of people don’t take into account when using some factory stuff, mixed in with non-factory stuff, is....... the factory stuff all had a fair amount of engineering time spent on it, and has been durability tested to provide trouble free service for many miles........ when used with all the companion factory parts.

You start throwing in a mix of aftermarket stuff....... you’ve changed the recipe.
There is no guarantee the new parts are going to be equally compatible and reliable as the factory stuff.

My suggestion would be to put a want ad on a few forums and see if you can come up with a set of decent factory hold downs and spacers.

The thing a lot of people don’t take into account when using some factory stuff, mixed in with non-factory stuff, is....... the factory stuff all had a fair amount of engineering time spent on it, and has been durability tested to provide trouble free service for many miles........ when used with all the companion factory parts.

You start throwing in a mix of aftermarket stuff....... you’ve changed the recipe.
There is no guarantee the new parts are going to be equally compatible and reliable as the factory stuff.

My suggestion would be to put a want ad on a few forums and see if you can come up with a set of decent factory hold downs and spacers.
I ordered the new factory style hold downs and spacers from 440 source so hope it works.

Since this thread is about prods, where can I buy 7/16" diam prods? So many places out of stock.

Well all assembled it's less noisy but still hear it i think I'm good, 60 miles the other day and didn't sound any different. Measured distance before and after between rockers and before .264" and after .216" ! Yikes! Seems much better side to side.

Measured distance before and after between rockers and before .264" and after .216" !

Uuuuummm....... huh??

.250 is a quarter inch.

Or do you mean without the spacer rings?

My OE spacer rings are .200 wide.

Uuuuummm....... huh??

.250 is a quarter inch.

Or do you mean without the spacer rings?

My OE spacer rings are .200 wide.
.044" difference between the rockers installed. The aluminum blocks were too narrow didn't know at the time since no one i knew had a big block and the machine shop never returned the rocker spacers or hold downs.

264-216= 48

But what’s 4 thou among friends.

It’s still not clear what the side clearance per pair was, and is now.

-
Back