08 chargers

-

scamp360

Reaction score
Thinking of buying an 08 charger with a 3.5 litre. Anything I should know about? I want a R/T but I do not believe I could afford the the demerits.

the guys at http://www.lxforums.com/ should be able to tell ya more about them. they seem to like to ricer them out but someone should be able to give you a good answer. i can say we bought an 07 magnum with a 3.5 motor in it and it has plenty of power for us. good running motor so far. the 2.7 is under powered in them and from what i have read had sludge problems.

the guys at http://www.lxforums.com/ should be able to tell ya more about them. they seem to like to ricer them out but someone should be able to give you a good answer. i can say we bought an 07 magnum with a 3.5 motor in it and it has plenty of power for us. good running motor so far. the 2.7 is under powered in them and from what i have read had sludge problems.

my buddy has a magnum with the 3.5 and the auto stick. Its pretty fun to drive and has plenty of power. He added a catback system to it, it sounds pretty decent

yea we have the auto stick also and i just don't get it. i don't like it. i rest my hand there and it bumps it into a lower gear. stupid design. should be a lock out so you don't accidently down shift.

Thanks I don't think that the 2.7 would be considered heard to many bad stories.

The 2.7 issues have long been corrected, all the rental chargers have that motor and it is adequate.

I have an 07, 08, and just ordered two 09's at work, but they are all hemi's, my wife also bought me one for my birthday (hemi).

I hear great things about 3.5 models, and they are well liked, especially when unable to jump up to the hemi models, fuel mileage is pretty much the same, with the hemi, at times, getting even better mileage.

As far as problems, they are known for outer tie rods wearing out prematurely, other than that, I haven't had a bit of problems with any of these, and they are fleet models. Mine only has a couple thousand miles.

In addition to lxforums, chargerforumz, and chargerforums, all are great sites to go to.

i've owned 2 chargers now an 06 and an08. both 3.5 auto. the first one was an auto stick, and it really was apain in the a#&. the 08 is an auto without the slap . as far asmotor goes they run great, but the trans is a little sketchy on the big road. if the cruise is set at 70 and you start down a hill it will downshift out of OD and it hits pretty hard. the factory cant seem to find a prob though.

Fuel milage is the same for the V-6 & the HEMI. My buddy has an '05 R/T Magnum, 25MPG on the hiway. I just bought an '05 R/T Magnum for my wife. I have yet to take it on a road trip, but with my kids borrowing it & the wife driving it locally, 17-18MPG. Its hard for me not to drive it hard, very fun car. Bottom line, BUY THE HEMI! Equal fuel milage, better resale, & great fun factor. Oh yea, my son has already outrun a nissan 350z. He said "you should have seen the look on that guys face".

i've owned 2 chargers now an 06 and an08. both 3.5 auto. the first one was an auto stick, and it really was apain in the a#&. the 08 is an auto without the slap . as far asmotor goes they run great, but the trans is a little sketchy on the big road. if the cruise is set at 70 and you start down a hill it will downshift out of OD and it hits pretty hard. the factory cant seem to find a prob though.

These cars are heavy, the V-6 is to small an engine. This is why the fuel milage isn't any better, you are always dring with more throttle input. More throttle, more fuel used.

The 3.5 is a good engine and it's been around for a time, originally in the 300M then 300C (or the other way around) then the magnum and charger. But it sucks gas as far as I'm concerned and over the last 10 yrs. I've rented a lot of them. The charger/300 is a heavy car but handles and brakes better than most the same size. Personally I wouldn't own the charger or challenger cuss of the interior and especially the dash and instrument panel. Most of it including the shifter is right out of the 300.

Terry

I got my wife a magnum RT and it was between the charger and the magnum. When you are looking at mpg not much different from the v6-hemi. However when we looked at the charger there was no room in the backseat at all. We figured this car will be the one we will have when we have kids and all our other cars a two door so we needed a four door with room.
I have to say the Magnum drives really nice and is very spacious. The RTs are not much more $$ as the v6 models too.

just my .02

oh and with the hemi it is great to be able to cruise up hill at like 80mph and the car not even flinch when you step on it. :)

I am incredibly pleased w/ my Magnum RT. It was my option for avoiding a minivan. I've had it since Dec 2005 and it is great. LXForums.com has many clicks there like so many other groups. Some are into only the speed and some are into the chrome or stereos. Look around there a bit and you will find someone with the same interest. I'm there under the same name.

BTW, check out buying one in Michigan. That is where I found the best deals by almost $9K compared to Texas.(I had it shipped to me for $750).

the 3.5 works great. if i need to go fast i get the dart out. anyway, i like the 3.5 in the car. heck i just like the car.

I bought the 08 with the 3.5 it seems to be o.k. I doubt it would keep up with my old Grand Prix but if I want to play I have the Scamp. I could not find a hemi I could afford 8 to 10 K premium. Thanks again.

I was originally getting a 3.5. I drove it and was satisfied. When I took the family to the dealership for a test fit, an RT was easier to access than the RT. Yeah, probably a sales ploy.

But, since I was limited to a single car and it had to be family friendly, too, I went for the RT. Since then, it has served duty with the carpool car and as an autocrosser. It's fun to beat vettes w/ a stationwagon!

Now that I have the Duster to hotrod, the Magnum is not getting much in the way of hot rodding. It still serves as a daily ride and carpool.

I would have selected a 3.5 had I owned the Duster at that time. There are some minor things you can do to wake up the 3.5 & improve MPG for not much $. Over at LXForums.com, get in touch base w/ Blastin' Bob's for some tailpipes ($150) that get rid of that monster restrictive resonator and throw on a less restrictive "Cold Air Intake". BTW, you can make your own intake (~$50). Some folks talk about 5 mpg improvements, though I think 2-3 is more reasonable.

I'm sure you'll love that car for years to come. After 3.5 years, i still look forward to driving mine.

-
Back