10 in drums

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Ok, I called NAPA about 10 in drums for the rear of my 65 Formula S. The ones I had simple will not fit so hopefully they were the wrong size. A local guy who restores Mopar told me the drums from a duster would work. I have the drums off and have checked and double checked everything. The wheel cylinders are new as are the pads. I have replaced the brake lines and the master cylinder. There has been no fluid added as everything is new. The emergency brake is disconnected just to see if that would be an issue.
Brings me back to the guy from NAPA. He suggested take off the front drums and see if they were the same as the rear. He thought they were the same even though the book has a different part number for the rear. Is this even possible? Has John from NAPA lost his mind or am I just drawing at straws to get the car off jack stands and out of the garage for a bath and allow me to start on something different?
Thank as always.

Ok the fronts are 10 inch diameter also but are a wider drum therefore having a different number. In other words the front drums will not work on the rear but should slide over the shoes. The rears are 10 x 1 3/4 shoes.

Thats what I thought, Just drawing at straws I guess. I will be away from the car for the next 10 days or so, but would really like to get her out of the garage for a good bath.
Thanks for the info

There is a thread on this site that states it is a possibility that machining off the inside of the front drum that it will actually work. Quite good pictures and details in the thread. I haven't personally done it so I can't say that it is accurate.

IF Small bolt pattern .... 8 3/4 diff ... you can buy fronts hubless .. machine front lit slightly so they do not bottom out on backing plate .... ONLY thing is drum inside contact surface is slightly wider .. some on this site were concerned with drum failure ????? i use them no issues as of yet...

IF Small bolt pattern .... 8 3/4 diff ... you can buy fronts hubless .. machine front lit slightly so they do not bottom out on backing plate .... ONLY thing is drum inside contact surface is slightly wider .. some on this site were concerned with drum failure ????? i use them no issues as of yet...

8 3/4" diff makes no difference. The 10" sbp drums are the same on both the 7 1/4" and the 8 3/4" rear ends.

Many posts here. Can't buy SBP 10" rear drums, except as rare artifacts (<$100 new, $80 used). Many listings are wrong. I thought I scored rears on rockauto ($25) only to receive common front drums (to add to my stack). However, some fronts have just a single "snow lip" that looks easy to cut off so they fit the rear. I posted my genius idea, only to hear "talked about 5 yrs ago" and a few "worked for me", but none w/ photos. One guy recently said he would try it soon and report back. Since I don't own a lathe, my second genius idea is to bolt one up to a rear hub facing outward and use my car as a lathe, holding a band-saw or file against the lip to cut it off. I am brave, but smart is a question mark. "Should work", post that on my headstone.

Check with John at [email protected]. He has new drums machined down to fit. I bought a pair and they work great.

Are those the $240 per pair plus shipping drums that are being sold on eBay?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rear-Brake-Drums-10-x-1-3-4-5-on-4-NEW-BRAKE-REPLACEMENT-Dodge-A-Body-/380791733329?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a8f4bc51&vxp=mtr"]Mopar Rear Brake Drums 10 x 1 3 4" 5 on 4" New Brake Replacement Dodge A Body | eBay[/ame]

240 is for a pair. The picture shows the part he grinds off. I think they are off of a 74 duster or something. That's what I have. They will fit fine with that piece in place, and cost a lot less money. Still are way to tight to use. Hopefully I can check mine soon.
thanks for the info

-
Back