10 inch Drum Brake Backing/Dust Shields

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

I am going to install a 7-1/4 Sure Grip in my 65 Dart GT Charger clone. It will have the Small Bolt Pattern axles. The differential currently has the 9 inch drum brakes, but I will be converting this, using a set of 10 inch drums, shoes, and the hardware, which I already have, for this differential. Does anyone manufacture/sell the 10 inch backing plates/Dust Shields for this differential? Thanks for the ongoing help on my 65 Dart Project. Much appreciated. Old Dart 66

I don’t believe they have manufactured these parts for decades. You will have to search out good used pieces!!

I'm sure you can use almost any year 10" backing plates up to about '72? The shoes should be 1.75 wide, same as 8.75 small bolt pattern. Drums are the same too.

How wide are the shoes you want to use,?

I am not sure on the brake shoes. I bought them some time ago, and they are still in the box. One and three quarter or two inch. Whatever they are to match the drums I have. I think 1-3/4 inch. Will it make a difference on the backing plates? Thanks. Old Dart 66

I'm sure you can use almost any year 10" backing plates up to about '72? The shoes should be 1.75 wide, same as 8.75 small bolt pattern. Drums are the same too.
Hey 65Val. Yes, on the Small Bolt Pattern. I thought I had a ten inch set, but the backing plate mounting on these have 5 holes as opposed to the 7-1/4 has 4 mounting holes. I think the center hole is the same diameter, but I will see tomorrow. Thanks. Old Dart 66

I am not sure on the brake shoes. I bought them some time ago, and they are still in the box. One and three quarter or two inch. Whatever they are to match the drums I have. I think 1-3/4 inch. Will it make a difference on the backing plates? Thanks. Old Dart 66

Hey Jerry, if it’s a small bolt rear you’re doing, they would all be 1 3/4” shoes, same shoes for 7 1/4” and 8 3/4”. Geof

Hey Jerry, if it’s a small bolt rear you’re doing, they would all be 1 3/4” shoes, same shoes for 7 1/4” and 8 3/4”. Geof
Yes, I measured, and the shoes are 1-3/4. Thanks for the info, so I know I'm on the right track. Jerry

Hey 65Val. Yes, on the Small Bolt Pattern. I thought I had a ten inch set, but the backing plate mounting on these have 5 holes as opposed to the 7-1/4 has 4 mounting holes. I think the center hole is the same diameter, but I will see tomorrow. Thanks. Old Dart 66
If I'm not mistaken, the 5 hole backing plates will have a larger center hole, and the bolt holes themselves will be in a different place. I think when the 7 1/4" went LBP in '72/'73? they also went to the 5 hole configuration....I stand to be corrected here. I run out of talent post '70/'71 years....!

Not sure on the 7.25 but if I recall correctly, the 8.25 also used 4 bolt backing plate but the actual backing plate had 5 holes and was the same for 8.75 rear.

-
Back