10" x 1.75" drum help

-

momoparman

MOISMYHOME
Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating drums for my 8-3/4 set up.
It has the dreaded 10" x 1.75" shoes/drums. It also needs to be 4.5" bp but I believe that it does not exist.

Does anyone know where I can get a part number or link to where I can get a pair?

I currently have the Canadian style Darth Vadar drums....at least that's what I think they are. They are drilled out to lbp.

Help?

Thanks,

Mop

You will not be able to get 10x1.75" drums in BBP, they simply don't exist. And never existed. You can drill a new set with the BBP, that's the best you can do there.

As for the drums, check eBay. There was a link here not long ago that had them listed. Otherwise, they are EXTREMELY difficult to find. I do not believe that they are currently being reproduced. You will also not be able to find what you call the "darth-vader" drums that came on the Canadian cars. Those aren't reproduced either, and haven't been for some time. Used is the best you can do for those, if you can find a set.

***Update***

Here's the link for the guy selling the 10x1.75" drums on eBay. Not sure if they new or used/reconditioned, but here they are...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rear-Brake10-x-1-3-4-5-on-4-NEW-Rear-Drums-ADD-brk-shoes-hdwe-cyls-/380695241704?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a33463e8&vxp=mtr

I knew they did not exist.

I will keep looking and if anyone else has an option I'm listening.

Thanks,

Mop

It seems to me it would be a lot easier to switch to the standard LBP brake setup (10 x 2 or whatever) -- it should be pretty common. Lots of LBP 8-3/4 axles out there, many of them converted to rear disks, so the parts are around...

I have lbp axles already and good backing plates springs pads cylinders....etc.

My drums are OK but of the end of their life. I could use them but figured now would be a good time to upgrade.

Trying not to spend $$$

I just need leads to the parts thanks.

Yeah, but you're competing with us SBP guys for the last rare drums ;)

Game on.......Got a hot lead at a nationwide auto store :D

Seriously....this is about my needs not yours. :D

Anyone else with a helpful comment a la 72bluNblu?

Looks like these are being made again.

Guy on ebay has 10 sets so I guess this is the way I go.....and there's plenty left over for others :glasses7:

Thanks again 72bluNblu for the lead. I read the Q&A and that's where the guy mentions that he has new ones now.

Mop

FYI-

If you're running 10x1.75" drums on your LBP axles, you would still need new LBP axles to upgrade to 10x2.5" LBP drums.

The offset that is built into the axle for the 10x1.75" drums is different than the offset used for 10x2.5" drums. Funny enough, the 10x1.75" SBP drums have a unique offset, so if you have axles to run those brakes you can't run anything else without an axle change. The 10x2.5" LBP drums use the same offset as 11x2.5" drums, 11x2" drums, and even 11x3" drums. All of those brake set ups can use the exact same axle as long as you have the right backing plates for the drums you're using.

So, if you drill a set of SBP axles to LBP, you're still stuck using SBP drums and you have to drill them to LBP as well. You can also buy new axles that have the SBP offset but a have the 5x4.5" LBP, but again, you're stuck re-drilling SBP drums to LBP.

Seems like you probably have your issue solved, but I just wanted to clarify this point.

You can get 10X2 1/2 drums in SBP that will work ... i just bought some .... they make them ... Goodluck on finding 10X 1 3/4

10" x 1.75" drums are still available at ADVANCE Autoparts. They aren't cheap ($95 ea.) and probably made in china.

you can get them for rock for under 50 ea. at least you could a couple months back.
sure they don't have that Huge bell or Darth vader look the originals did but they are new.

$150 for 2 new drums is not terrible. Previously, people asked $80+ for 1 used drum on ebay. My plan was to try cutting off the dust lip on a front drum, which looked like it might work, but if they are making them again the price will surely drop.

Correct ... 10X1 3/4 not available anywhere... i tried ... correct if i am wrong... that is why i purchased the ones that are avail on ebay .. no mods needed to axles ...

Those are the ones i purchased ... again ... they are deeper than 1 3/4... but i was guranteed by Rick that they would work ...

B-bodies could come with 5 on 4.5 rear drums for 10x1.75 shoe and linings.

for A & B bodies.
10 x 1.75" Shoe & Lining Pkg (axle set) p/n 2808 493

10" Drum (only for A-bodies) p/n 2535 757
10" Drum (only for B-bodies w/ 6 cyl engine) and MW housing p/n 2534 173
10" Drum (only for B-bodies w/ 6 cyl engine) p/n 3001 744
10"x2.5" Drum (for B-bodies) p/n 3001 745

good luck in your searches!

You can put it in your cart at Advance Auto but when you try to check out it says "The order contains quantities that are unavailable."
I actually bought them at an AA store(Waco,Tx), not online.

I would be amazed if the were the actual 10 X 1 3/4 ... but let us know depth ... would think that drum depth should be around 2 inches .. if the are the Actual 10 X 1 3/4 drum as advertised ...

B-bodies could come with 5 on 4.5 rear drums for 10x1.75 shoe and linings.

The B body drums will have a larger center register and can not be used safely on the smaller A body axles.

When? I called our AA store and was told they were not available.
August. I think they had (3) drums in stock, which I bought (2) of.

-
Back