10" x 1.75" drum help

-
There are "hub-centric" rings on ebay to deal with different size center registers. They are nylon, so fairly easy to sand if you can't get the exact size needed.

The B body drums will have a larger center register and can not be used safely on the smaller A body axles.

No disagreement. Just pointing out that drums for bbp 10x1.75" shoes existed. From the initial post it wasn't clear (to me) how the OP ended up with 5 on 4.5" pattern. I considered there was the possibility it had B-body axles.

Later post imply this might be a a-body axle set that had been, or was going to be redrilled to the larger pattern.

There are "hub-centric" rings on ebay to deal with different size center registers.
I suppose if one is boxed in a corner that's a solution, or have a shop machine one.
I would be amazed if the were the actual 10 X 1 3/4 ... but let us know depth ... would think that drum depth should be around 2 inches .. if the are the Actual 10 X 1 3/4 drum as advertised .
That is correct. The inner surface of drums are a bit wider than the widths of the shoes.

Can you take a photo and post once you get drums ... interested to see if the same ones i got .. thanks

I post pics once they get here. Just have to drill the holes out to 4.5" and should be good to go.

The axles are 4.5"bp from an abody 8-3/4.

That is if the drums are as specified.....wish me luck.

Mop

OK so the naysayers were correct.

This guy is selling a product that DOES NOT WORK with 10 x 1.75" pilot hole is good but the drum is to deep.

So now I am about to crack.

I guess I am going to have to get another set up for 10 x 2 or 2.5".

:banghead:

OK so the naysayers were correct.

This guy is selling a product that DOES NOT WORK with 10 x 1.75" pilot hole is good but the drum is to deep.

So now I am about to crack.

I guess I am going to have to get another set up for 10 x 2 or 2.5".

:banghead:

I wonder if these are front drums? Could you please post some detailed pictures?

Sorry but they are already back in the box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rear-B...3463e8&vxp=mtr

I'm going to clean up my drums as they are still within tolerance and the lining is smooth.

I have new pads so I will set it back up and when they wear out down the road I will deal with it then.

I can't let this slow me down as the weather is turning and I have to get this thing rolling ASAP.

Sorry but they are already back in the box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rear-B...3463e8&vxp=mtr

I'm going to clean up my drums as they are still within tolerance and the lining is smooth.

I have new pads so I will set it back up and when they wear out down the road I will deal with it then.

I can't let this slow me down as the weather is turning and I have to get this thing rolling ASAP.

Were they in the original box? If so did you by chance write the part number down?

White boxes no part numbers....contact Mopar Madness at 970-454-2636 if you want more info.

I wonder if these are front drums? Could you please post some detailed pictures?

Could they be pre-1973 7-1/4 drums? They used a different backing plate than the A body 8-3/4 so the offset would be different.

Could they be pre-1973 7-1/4 drums? They used a different backing plate than the A body 8-3/4 so the offset would be different.

I have never heard of there being a different 10" drum between the 7 1/4" and the 8 3/4". 70 to 72 had bell drums and 69 back wasn't bell but they interchange. Maybe someone else can weigh in with more information on this.

IF your goal is to get 10 inch drums on vehicle with 4.5 pattern ... locate an ASPEN or VOLARE ... steal the backing plates from them ... then buy new F body drums and they should work ... I had a volare that i installed the 8 3/4 axle and basically reinstalled the backing plates and drums back on... i do recall... you may want to ask a F body owner who did this recently ...

IF your goal is to get 10 inch drums on vehicle with 4.5 pattern ... locate an ASPEN or VOLARE ... steal the backing plates from them ... then buy new F body drums and they should work ... I had a volare that i installed the 8 3/4 axle and basically reinstalled the backing plates and drums back on... i do recall... you may want to ask a F body owner who did this recently ...

Only works if you get new axles. If you search the forum there is a ton of threads on here about it.

The swirl of water is done and the turd has disappeared.

I moved on with what I have and honestly I don't see any issues with doing so.

I just figured that while I had it all torn apart I could get new drums.

My old darth drums will work for a long time as this car won't get but a couple thousand a year on it if that much.

Thanks for the input....thread out.

I have never heard of there being a different 10" drum between the 7 1/4" and the 8 3/4". 70 to 72 had bell drums and 69 back wasn't bell but they interchange. Maybe someone else can weigh in with more information on this.

My mistake, its the backing plates that are different between the 8.75 and 7.25. The drums are the same for both sbp 10" rears. (Thank you DrDiff for the info!)

Side note for possible searches...the small bolt pattern drums were used on 1973 through 1976 model year 4 wheel drum brake A bodies (mfg before 1/1/76).

-
Back