1157 tail light sockets

-

txstang84

Reaction score
Has anyone run into a set of tail light bulb sockets that were so seized they couldn't be used? If so, how did you or how would you go about replacing them?

My brother's '72 Scamp is in need of some type of remedy for this and from what I recall, those sockets are essentially permanent in the housing unless they're drilled out or damaged to a point where they cannot be reused. And unless I haven't been looking hard enough, there are no direct replacements-any ideas??

Is the problem that you cannot get the bulbs out? I have had a couple of those and got the bulbs out by breaking the bulb glass, and then carefully used needle nose pliers to grip the exposed edge of the base and work and gradually crush one side of the base inward; they would eventualy loosen up enough to get the bases out. The sockets were then cleanable to a usable degree...

They used to sell new sockets with pig tails that you could splice in.

I don't know if they are still available...

I picked up a couple not all that long ago at NAPA and put them in an acquaintance's Dakota P/U.

If you cant find originals... would something like this work? I would also like to find some replacements. Corrosion is really bad from Fla salt air. Anybody else have success finding something more original?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sockets-bulbs-automotive-1157-1154-6-12-volt-brake-tail-light-blinker-turn-/161098777870?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25823c450e&vxp=mtr"]Sockets Bulbs Automotive 1157 1154 6 12 Volt Brake Tail Light Blinker Turn | eBay[/ame]

This is the other option I found at NAPA pn#787134

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Taillight-Socket/_/R-NW_787134_0434195291

Attachments

• 1157 sockets.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 321
  • napa NWMDC.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 310
So far as I know you can still get that kind of stuff at parts stores

From the three in the picture above, the middle one looks closest to the originals.

Thanks for all the replies!

Is the problem that you cannot get the bulbs out?

Well, that was a problem; he got the bulbs out, and now even after copious amounts of lube and exercising the springs in the socket, the contact plate is just seized and the socket is all kinds of corroded.

They are very much available, but they're more built for modern assemblies where the socket just twists or pops out. I recall trying to take mine out a few years ago for the same reason, but all the socket does is spin in the housing...they're retained by a rolling the edge of the metal on the inside of the housing (like a grommet), so the only way they can be removed is to damage the method by which to retain them. In my case though, I was able to get the contact plates unstuck and use them as was.

I picked up a couple not all that long ago at NAPA and put them in an acquaintance's Dakota P/U.

Unfortunately, this ain't a Dakota :(

So far as I know you can still get that kind of stuff at parts stores

The only ones I could find on the shelf were similar to the ones pictured above...which are great if you can simply remove the old socket...I looked on a couple resto sites and couldn't find any direct replacements.

I suppose it's possible to notch the housings where a different style will fit-any of you guys ever try it that way?

I found all these on Summit, and the Ron Francis setup looks like they'd work like a champ, but $25...damn...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...lb-sockets/light-bulb-number-application/1157

I've bought sockets off the HELP rack and used parts from those to rebuild crusty OEM sockets.

$25... no friggin way. Im gonna try the $4 socket and try to modify it. JMO

No **** lol! If I were doing something from the ground up-scratch, maybe...otherwise, I was trying to avoid that...

I've bought sockets off the HELP rack and used parts from those to rebuild crusty OEM sockets.

I didn't think about cannibalizing them-but that probably should work sufficiently.

Much appreciated y'all

Has anyone run into a set of tail light bulb sockets that were so seized they couldn't be used? If so, how did you or how would you go about replacing them?

My brother's '72 Scamp is in need of some type of remedy for this and from what I recall, those sockets are essentially permanent in the housing unless they're drilled out or damaged to a point where they cannot be reused. And unless I haven't been looking hard enough, there are no direct replacements-any ideas??

RockAuto has a GM part and it is wrong, listed under the 65 Dart. Way too small. I found them at repairconnector.com

Groovy-thanks!
Installed today and work beautifully. Now to get the tag light working and install the wiper blades and she is ready to be inspected and back on the road since 1989. 65 Dart GT Car I learned to drive in. Dad passed and I drug it to my house and started the revival

-
Back