12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

-
ok, I have to ask .....what is the story on the coronet wagon in the first post?

I have a 68 coronet wagon just like the one in your picture and I have considered using it as a tow vehicle. What did you have to do to it to make a tow vehicle, was it just as easy as adding a hitch or was there more??

That car is awesome isn't it. Every time I see the picture I regret selling it. The same friend I mentioned in the first post bought this car and it was completely rust free. It has a /6 in it originally and didn't run. Somehow this friend had acquired a /6 (don't remember how) that was supposedly built pretty good complete with 4 barrel carb and a header. We put that in the wagon and it was a complete pig. We ended up pulling the car apart and painting it and installing all new carpet, headliner, and seat covers. When we put it together, he decided to put a 383- 4 barrel in it. When he decided to sell it, I decided to buy it. I actually drove it daily for a while. It was a great car, except the amount of gas it burned. To tow the duster I put a made up a receiver hitch and used a weight distribution/load leveling hitch. It worked perfectly. My trailer had electric brakes, which is probably a necessity if you plan to tow with the wagon. The 383 had more than enough torque to pull the Duster.
Oh by the way. The wagon was loaded, A/C, power steering, power brakes, and the third row seat that faced the back window. Damn I wish I still had that to haul the family around in...

Finally got my intake back from getting the bungs welded in. If I were to do it again I would just buy an intake with the injector provisions cast into it. Apparently the aluminum the M1 is made with is crap and turned out to be very difficult to weld. It cost way more than anticipated because of this.

Attachments

• image-3176856120.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 885
  • image-396533313.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 904
I have no idea how many people actually read my build thread since I haven't had many replies, but I'm asking for opinions on engine choice. I hope I get some replies.

I recently came across a deal impossible to pass up on very complete 5.7 out of a cop car with ~60K miles. It's so complete, I have everything from the fan belt to the tail pipes behind the cats, transmission included. So here's the question, should I go ahead with my same plan of my well build 408, or install the 5.7? The only mods I'd do to the 5.7 would likely be a cam swap. I know the 408 will have way more power, but my intentions with this car is to get in it and drive anywhere. Good gas mileage would be a plus, but not required. It would be great to hear from someone who has mad the switch to the modern motor.

I have no idea how many people actually read my build thread since I haven't had many replies, but I'm asking for opinions on engine choice. I hope I get some replies.

I recently came across a deal impossible to pass up on very complete 5.7 out of a cop car with ~60K miles. It's so complete, I have everything from the fan belt to the tail pipes behind the cats, transmission included. So here's the question, should I go ahead with my same plan of my well build 408, or install the 5.7? The only mods I'd do to the 5.7 would likely be a cam swap. I know the 408 will have way more power, but my intentions with this car is to get in it and drive anywhere. Good gas mileage would be a plus, but not required. It would be great to hear from someone who has mad the switch to the modern motor.

I know what you mean. I have the same aspirations for a new HEMI, but the motor I bought is pretty tame and I plan on Super Charging it later. I found a smoking deal on a 360 Magnum Crate Motor on CL. It was use in a movie studio car and saw very little use. It came with manifolds and accessories as well as a 904. I sold most of the stuff I didn't need so I in it for a $1000. For you if you can get a deal jump on it. You have read the stories about the HEMI, so there is no surprises. I can only imagine it being a much better daily driver.

Thanks

since you want to be able to drive it anywhere, I would install the hemi. you cant beat efi for driveability. not to mention they make good power and have a lot of aftermarket support. personally I cant afford one, but I did just pick up a 95 360 magnum with the harness and pcm. Im aiming for the same thing, efi and driveability.

I'd just go forward with EFIng the 408 and building that. Honestly from what i've seen with A-body hemi swaps, they can be pretty trying. Once the 408 is assembled, you'll have it running/driving in no time flat.

I had a 68 Coronet wagon similar to that one. It was a 318 car with 3 on the tree.

Been a while...

I finally got all the jambs, trunk, underside of trunk and hood, door jambs, and engine compartment cut in. Hanging all the panels back on. It is so nice having a car that has all the original sheet metal. I can practically throw them on from across the garage. Should be shooting the outside the car in the coming weeks. Pictures soon...

Pics?!?!
Been following waiting to see the first run down the track.

Joe;
I bracket race a Duster with a 5.7 hemi stroker and a carb. It really was a ***** to get the motor in the car onto the stock big block K member and make it fit around the manual steering and expensive TTI headers, which you would need also. I went with a 727 torqueflite for racing, if you go with a modern tranny you will have to cut up the floor pan and fab a new one to make it fit. Also I didn't have to deal with drive by wire or kickdown linkage since it is a race car only. I love the Hemi, the car does 6.35 in the 1/8th and 10.0 in the quarter, but I don't see how these guys that put one in a street car with wiper motors, power steering/brakes, EFI, heater motor, etc. made it all fit.

Pics?!?! Been following waiting to see the first run down the track.

The first run down the track for this car was years ago. Haha. It won't be set up for straight lines this time. The only track I hope it sees will have turns in it.

If it helps, I'm sure the 408 would out perform the 5.7 any day. I have a 5.7 in a 67 dart, that is all stock except a comp 268 cam and springs. It drives great, I can take it just about anywhere... Mine is FAST controlled. I currently run a 727 and 3000 stall, but plan to switch to a OD next year. My car weighs 3400 lbs, and has 3.73 gears. Up here in the thin air of denver I put 337HP/356TQ down on a Dyno at this Alt, and run a very consistent 13.26 @104. Lower altitude I'm sure I'd pick up 4-5/10 real quick, not bad for a stock motor with a cam... I'm in love with mine to say the least.

Joe

If it helps, I'm sure the 408 would out perform the 5.7 any day. I have a 5.7 in a 67 dart, that is all stock except a comp 268 cam and springs. It drives great, I can take it just about anywhere... Mine is FAST controlled. I currently run a 727 and 3000 stall, but plan to switch to a OD next year. My car weighs 3400 lbs, and has 3.73 gears. Up here in the thin air of denver I put 337HP/356TQ down on a Dyno at this Alt, and run a very consistent 13.26 @104. Lower altitude I'm sure I'd pick up 4-5/10 real quick, not bad for a stock motor and cam... Joe

I have decided to go with the 5.7. After much research, I'm going to do an eagle head/intake swap and change the cam. I'm sure this will put me over the 400hp at the crank. I'm going to reuse my TKO-500 and the MS3X. Also plan on getting a hemi deny k-member.

Looks like a fun build and you are a talented person. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Good Luck!

Here are some teasers. Still need to hang a door and a fender, then time to sand....again

Attachments

• image-4273534221.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 754
  • image-3479013263.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 720
I have decided to go with the 5.7. After much research, I'm going to do an eagle head/intake swap and change the cam. I'm sure this will put me over the 400hp at the crank. I'm going to reuse my TKO-500 and the MS3X. Also plan on getting a hemi deny k-member.

That will put down that number without batting an eye, mine is an early (06) motor, and the numbers I mentioned are at the wheels... Yours will crush 400 with the better heads and intake.
Good plan for the k-member... I wish I wasn't running the stock stuff.
Joe

Planning on squirting some color on Friday, finally! Hope to get some good pics once I roll it out of my garage/booth.

Attachments

• image-2398073618.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 668
Nice! Can you take some pictures of your garage booth? What did you put on the floor?

I'll go out there later today and take some pics. I bought some 1x2x8s from Lowes (about $3/ea.) and made 8' square panels and screwed them together. Then draped visqueen over everything.
I had some left over house wrap from building my house. That is what's covering the floor. It's there mostly to keep the paint off the floor and cut down on the dust/dirt from whatever might be stuck in the porous concrete even after I cleaned the crap out of it. When I was cutting everything in I was just wetting the concrete, but it dried before I finished because it's so stinking hot here. I had to come up with something else.

I am running a 415 Indy cylinder stroker and love it! It is street driven and fun as hell 520hp/500 torque!

Nice! Can you take some pictures of your garage booth?

Here some shots of the booth. The portion with the blue filters and tape is actually a door.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 635
-
Back