12.193 @112.27 MPH in Mom's 4150# Brick

-

VIOLENT\6

12 second N/A Slant 6?
Reaction score
Not an "A" body, but I was able to run a 12.193 @ 112.27 MPH in Mom's 2006 Daytona. 5.7 N/A all motor @ 4150# race weight. The cam supports MDS too.(multiple displacement system)

I have Josh convinced that a junkyard 5.7 Hemi has a lot more potential @ a budget than an LA block in his "65" Valiant.

$500 for a good core from a low milage RAM & about $1700 for cam & heads will put over 400 HP on the ground W/headers & a free flowing exhaust.

The "06" charger puts out 421 STD RWHP & 411 RWTQ

Not an "A" body, but I was able to run a 12.193 @ 112.27 MPH in Mom's 2006 Daytona. 5.7 N/A all motor @ 4150# race weight. The cam supports MDS too.(multiple displacement system)

I have Josh convinced that a junkyard 5.7 Hemi has a lot more potential @ a budget than an LA block in his "65" Valiant.

$500 for a good core from a low milage RAM & about $1700 for cam & heads will put over 400 HP on the ground W/headers & a free flowing exhaust.

The aspect I love about the 5.7 Hemi is the road manners it would bring to one of our old muscle cars. It would idle smoothly, have plenty of vaccuum, and be very street worthy which is something you don't always get otherwise.

Thats SRT- Hemi times. Whats done to that 5.7 ? Congrats as that runs great ! Ron

Crane 216 cam, Mopar Performance heads, Mopar performance headers/cats, stock 6.1 "suitcase" exhaust W/resonators replaced by "Blastin' Bob's" resonated kit, 6.1 intake manifold port matched to the heads W/phenolic adaptors, CMR "Predator" tune & AFE Stage II CAI. That rounds out the engine/PCM part of the equasion

Pro-Torque 2800 Stall convertor, 3:06 SRT differential, (4.32:1 FDR in 3rd gear) 25.7" Mickey Thompson 275/40R 17 Drag radials on `17" X 9 1/2" Centerline "Hammer" forged aluminum wheels. (the short drag radials ups the effective FDR in 3rd gear to 4.67:1 compared to 28" drag radials) M&H 4.50 X 17 26" "Frontrunners" mounted on 17" stock spare wheels W/1.3" adaptors to clear the brake rotors.

Thing is, cam/heads/headers/tuner yield from 100 to 150 RWHP on the 5.7 while similar mods on the 6.1 only yield gains in the 50-75 RWHP range due to the fact that the 6.1 is already "turned up" from the factory. There is about a 25-35 RWHP difference in the end & the 200# or more of additional weight due to the beefier block & other components goes a long way to negating that HP advantage. Right now, of the 4 quickest N/A stock displacement LX cars (Magnum/300/Charger) on the LXforums database, 3 are 5.7s W/the top 2 spots held by 5.7s. (the top N/A spot is held by a 426 6.1 based stroker)

The aspect I love about the 5.7 Hemi is the road manners it would bring to one of our old muscle cars. It would idle smoothly, have plenty of vaccuum, and be very street worthy which is something you don't always get otherwise.

The Crane 216 W/the 112* LSA was a bit of a challenge in the idle department until the "Predator" tuner came along allowing complete control of A/F & ignition timing. The engine now idles @ 750 RPM W/the slightest hint of some lope. Just enough to tip off someone W/a good ear that something is not OEM.

Street manors are impeccable other than the fact that that the stock OEM replacemnt size 245/55R 18 BFG KDWSs will not allow me to stand on it in low gear W/O going up in smoke. MPG in my mixed rural/small town driving is about 19 MPG, hi-way cruise @ 75-80 MPH is about 23 MPG. drop to the speed limit & it goes up about 2-3 MPG.

If the Mercedes "E" class derived "NAG1" 5 speed auto could be transplanted into the early mopar bodies, (near impossible W/the overbearing computer "HAL") the 1.41:1 reduction 3rd gear would yield a FDR of 4.55 W/a 3.23 axle ratio.

Imagine that W/the 1:1 4th gear & overdrive 5th. A 10 second "A" body that you could drive to the track 4 hours away.

i am so thinking about putting a 5.7 in my dart.

Check out forum member MomsR/T. He is involved W/Frank's Racing. They have been on the leading edge of developement of the new Hemi performance cams/heads & are working on "A" body tarnsplant kits.

If anyone is interested I can post some PIX, dyno charts etc. from my home computer.

I am @ work now & can not cut & paste on this computer.

Check out forum member MomsR/T. He is involved W/Frank's Racing. They have been on the leading edge of developement of the new Hemi performance cams/heads & are working on "A" body tarnsplant kits.

yea i was talking with him at BBD.. he said they were working on a web site.

Here are some PIX

17NovTimeslip001.jpg

NEDPhoto8X10.jpg

Towsetup001.jpg

DragSetup003.jpg

DragSetup002.jpg

I'll chime in here and I'm old enough to be considered "old school"...

That pic of the trailer hitch is for haulin'. Haulin *** that is!!

I have a business associate/friend that has a new 2007 Charger SRT8, "425 hp" Hemi...

Loaded, moon roof, leather, CD, the works...

I made the first runs with 1800-ish miles on the car at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA on a Wednesday night last summer...

12.80's (fairly consistant) at 106. Then, after three runs...I made a lap with the AC on...just for kicks...

12.88 @ 105. BONE STOCK. On the scales it weighed 3,998 with NO DRIVER and a 1/2 tank of gas.

Good point on a junk yard find: A low mileage from a wreck, ported heads...and it's EASY HP in ANY ride.

Comparision: Car Craft took a 5.-something liter GM LS-2 and with a cam change made 480 HP....a set of GM PERF heads took it over 500 HP...for about $4000-ish!

So, I convince a buddy with a 70 Nova to do the same thing. He gets a LS-2 something that's 364 inches, adds the GM cam that Car Craft used, a single plane intake from GM with one of the 750 Holleys I've got laying around. With a L480E-something trans, a 10" street converter, 3.73 gears, a 28" drag radial in that Nova, runs VERY consistant 11.40's @ 116. AND gets 16 MPG on the highway!! GM or not, IT ROCKS.

That makes me think that a 5.7 Hemi, single 4 Holley and a OD auto in a 3000 lib A-body outta run the same and be COMPLETELY street-able!!

Joshua's Valiant sure looks nice,:thumbrig: Hope it come's together soon for him and me so I can watch and learn.
Sounds like you have him pointed in the right direction.
I have learned allot in this thread, Thanks guys!:wave:

I'll chime in here and I'm old enough to be considered "old school"...

That pic of the trailer hitch is for haulin'. Haulin *** that is!!

I have a business associate/friend that has a new 2007 Charger SRT8, "425 hp" Hemi...

Loaded, moon roof, leather, CD, the works...

I made the first runs with 1800-ish miles on the car at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA on a Wednesday night last summer...

12.80's (fairly consistant) at 106. Then, after three runs...I made a lap with the AC on...just for kicks...

12.88 @ 105. BONE STOCK. On the scales it weighed 3,998 with NO DRIVER and a 1/2 tank of gas.

Good point on a junk yard find: A low mileage from a wreck, ported heads...and it's EASY HP in ANY ride.

Comparision: Car Craft took a 5.-something liter GM LS-2 and with a cam change made 480 HP....a set of GM PERF heads took it over 500 HP...for about $4000-ish!

So, I convince a buddy with a 70 Nova to do the same thing. He gets a LS-2 something that's 364 inches, adds the GM cam that Car Craft used, a single plane intake from GM with one of the 750 Holleys I've got laying around. With a L480E-something trans, a 10" street converter, 3.73 gears, a 28" drag radial in that Nova, runs VERY consistant 11.40's @ 116. AND gets 16 MPG on the highway!! GM or not, IT ROCKS.

That makes me think that a 5.7 Hemi, single 4 Holley and a OD auto in a 3000 lib A-body outta run the same and be COMPLETELY street-able!!

Not surpizing that you were still able to turn 12.8s W/the A/C on. @ WOT, the A/C compressor kicks out on these cars.

I think a good 5.7 putting out the kind of power that this one is would possbly hit 10.9s W 28" drag radials.

If that NAG1 transmission could be adapted, 3.23 axle gears yielding a 4.55:1 FDT in 3rd gear could do that & have 2 more gears on top for hi-way use.

4th gear being direct 1:1 would of course be 3.23 & 5th W/the .82:1 overdrive would be 2.65:1 FDR.

It would still be a great road gear.

Geez Dan.

How many sites are you on??

LOL

Chas

Crane 216 cam, Mopar Performance heads, Mopar performance headers/cats, stock 6.1 "suitcase" exhaust W/resonators replaced by "Blastin' Bob's" resonated kit, 6.1 intake manifold port matched to the heads W/phenolic adaptors, CMR "Predator" tune & AFE Stage II CAI. That rounds out the engine/PCM part of the equasion

Pro-Torque 2800 Stall convertor, 3:06 SRT differential, (4.32:1 FDR in 3rd gear) 25.7" Mickey Thompson 275/40R 17 Drag radials on `17" X 9 1/2" Centerline "Hammer" forged aluminum wheels. (the short drag radials ups the effective FDR in 3rd gear to 4.67:1 compared to 28" drag radials) M&H 4.50 X 17 26" "Frontrunners" mounted on 17" stock spare wheels W/1.3" adaptors to clear the brake rotors.

Thing is, cam/heads/headers/tuner yield from 100 to 150 RWHP on the 5.7 while similar mods on the 6.1 only yield gains in the 50-75 RWHP range due to the fact that the 6.1 is already "turned up" from the factory. There is about a 25-35 RWHP difference in the end & the 200# or more of additional weight due to the beefier block & other components goes a long way to negating that HP advantage. Right now, of the 4 quickest N/A stock displacement LX cars (Magnum/300/Charger) on the LXforums database, 3 are 5.7s W/the top 2 spots held by 5.7s. (the top N/A spot is held by a 426 6.1 based stroker)

The Crane 216 W/the 112* LSA was a bit of a challenge in the idle department until the "Predator" tuner came along allowing complete control of A/F & ignition timing. The engine now idles @ 750 RPM W/the slightest hint of some lope. Just enough to tip off someone W/a good ear that something is not OEM.

Street manors are impeccable other than the fact that that the stock OEM replacemnt size 245/55R 18 BFG KDWSs will not allow me to stand on it in low gear W/O going up in smoke. MPG in my mixed rural/small town driving is about 19 MPG, hi-way cruise @ 75-80 MPH is about 23 MPG. drop to the speed limit & it goes up about 2-3 MPG.

If the Mercedes "E" class derived "NAG1" 5 speed auto could be transplanted into the early mopar bodies, (near impossible W/the overbearing computer "HAL") the 1.41:1 reduction 3rd gear would yield a FDR of 4.55 W/a 3.23 axle ratio.

Imagine that W/the 1:1 4th gear & overdrive 5th. A 10 second "A" body that you could drive to the track 4 hours away.

If anyone is interested I can post some PIX, dyno charts etc. from my home computer.

I am @ work now & can not cut & paste on this computer.

What's all that extra add-on stuff cost??? to run 12.19 on an Hemi R/T?? Sounds pretty expensive.

Is it less than the difference of a R/T to an SRT-8??

What's all that extra add-on stuff cost??? to run 12.19 on an Hemi R/T?? Sounds pretty expensive.

Is it less than the difference of a R/T to an SRT-8??

No it it's probably about the same as buying the SRT, but not many SRTs will turn 12.19 stock. None that I know of. A few mods on the SRT will get you there though in SOME cases, Diablo tune, short drag radials, etc. From there on out there is little difference mod for mod between the R/T & SRT.

Cam, heads, headers & tuner on an R/T = 100-150 RWHP gain.

Same mods on an SRT = 50-75 RWHP gain.

Besides, anyone can go out & "BUY" an SRT. It's a lot more fun to have a "sleeper" R/T that will kick some A$$.

Dan,

You know we've said the same thing from day-1.........."Imagin this in a light A-Body"

We're going full bore into this relm and our motor is almost done.........we're going to do a big write up for the websites we goto so everyone can see that the cost really is reasonable and that with all things considered, its possibly cheaper than any LA motor to get the same times out of.

Bring on the info! I'm still undecided about an engine and the new hemi is very tempting.

Bring on the info! I'm still undecided about an engine and the new hemi is very tempting.

You won't be disappointed in the 5.7.

Cam ($400) reworked stock heads (($1200) headers ($800).

Add that to about $500 for a good low milage core & you will have 500+ crank HP.

Less than $3000 total & it will weigh 40# less than an LA.

Keep the stock composite manifold. If you get a truck engine find a composite manifold from an LX.

It makes a $hit load low end & mid range of TQ.

-
Back