13.3's to 11.8's to Forget it...

whose got this?

• 318hasason 392 Hemi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 318isaDad 360 Duster

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
-
Start cutting some weight on that 76. There is a lot to lose on a good diet with those heavier sport styles that year. Take that front bumper off and lighten it would be my first on the list. Use the skin and make tour own light weight brackets. Taking things off of the car is free. Every 100 lbs. is at least a 1/10 on a car running 13's. A 9 second car won't gain as much.

Decreasing reciprocating weight gains are much more. Light weight rear tires and wheels, even a lower profile and narrower tire helps. lighter drive shaft. Put a shut off on the alternator. Electric water and fuel pump.

Stop eating bread and potatoes.LOL
Totally agree. especially your last remark :D

My .02....
If this is the complete level of rework(as in....... you’re changing only those items, and will run 3.23’s)you’re not going to get there.
Especially if you’re serious about

I’ll enjoy watching how you go about it though.
yes, I really want to focus on 4 items. Heads, cam, converter, gears (but not 4.56's). You may very well be correct, I may not get there, and that's ok.

Agreed. some money. Performance upgrades will be change heads, cam, converter and gears.

Seems dumb to do all that when the blue bottle would get the job done. I've never really been a proponent of it, but it's lookin better and better as I get older. Maybe it's the "less work" thing. lol

Thanks, and I agree. But for money sake, this is a list what I have that I'll be using, and a list of possibilities that I have that I could use. Not opposed to buying better heads and better cam.
I will use:

• Doug headers, they are on the car with 2.5" duals out the back
    • 750 Holley Double pumper, it's on the car now.
    • One of the three intakes listed below
I have and could chose:

• magnum heads with mild port work by me at home, hughes spring kit
    • magnum edelbrock RPM air gap
    • Weiand Stealth intake
    • LA RPM (non air gap and on car now)
    • LA 360 596 heads home ported by me 1.88/1.60
    • MP 284/484 cam (old grind)
    • 273 adjustable rockers/push rods in case i buy a solid cam.

Since you're going to run the adjustable rockers, I would look around for the old MP 528 cam. That's a damn good grind.

Seems dumb to do all that when the blue bottle would get the job done. I've never really been a proponent of it, but it's lookin better and better as I get older. Maybe it's the "less work" thing. lol
yeah, surely it's the easy way out. Pretty sure most people know I like the hard way - challenge myself. LOL.

Since you're going to run the adjustable rockers, I would look around for the old MP 528 cam. That's a damn good grind.
those rockers are an option if I go solid. I like the cam you recommended. But do you think that cam would like 3.23's or 3.55's?

those rockers are an option if I go solid. I like the cam you recommended. But do you think that cam would like 3.23's or 3.55's?

You ain't goin 11.8s with either of those gears. Not without a LOT more motor. Ain't happenin.

That was my OPINION you disagreed with, dumbass. It's not wrong since it's my opinion. lol

Thanks, and I agree. But for money sake, this is a list what I have that I'll be using, and a list of possibilities that I have that I could use. Not opposed to buying better heads and better cam.
I will use:

• Doug headers, they are on the car with 2.5" duals out the back
    • 750 Holley Double pumper, it's on the car now.
    • One of the three intakes listed below
I have and could chose:

• magnum heads with mild port work by me at home, hughes spring kit
    • magnum edelbrock RPM air gap
    • Weiand Stealth intake
    • LA RPM (non air gap and on car now)
    • LA 360 596 heads home ported by me 1.88/1.60
    • MP 284/484 cam (old grind)
    • 273 adjustable rockers/push rods in case i buy a solid cam.

That's ok. The headers are a luxury and I didn't know you already some. So running those is fine.

Ditto with the carb. Didn't know you had that already. I just detest Holley so much for the criminally ignorant tuning tips they put out and the fact that they hamstrung other carb manufacturers for decades, and the fact that Holley was slow to even begin to admit a choke was essentially useless and getting rid of it was a good thing. Just my personal disgust with the entire company history since I've started doing car stuff.

I'd use the 596 heads, your old school 284 cam (that's a good cam BTW, despite all the hate for it because it's not a "new" lobe) and your 273 rockers and the Stealth intake.

I would use the magnum heads for a compression bump and the rpm intake. Use that 528 cam and oil through lifters. Buy the conversion kit for the heads and run cheap chevy rockers. 3500 stall and at least 3.55 gears. Or. shave the la heads .060 and .050 intake side. and run them with the same cam and the rpm intake. Wont have to find oil through lifters or rockers arms. I still don't think youll get there without some 3.91 or deeper gears but much closer.

That was my OPINION you disagreed with, dumbass. It's not wrong since it's my opinion. lol

Your OPINION is exactly what I was disagreeing with. And I happen to think your opinion is wrong in that particular case. Doesn't mean I don't like that 528 cam.

As you're being a dumbass I don't think you want people to know why I think I was a dumbass in the pass.
Knock it off with the name calling.

Your OPINION is exactly what I was disagreeing with. And I happen to think your opinion is wrong in that particular case. Doesn't mean I don't like that 528 cam.

As you're being a dumbass I don't think you want people to know why I think I was a dumbass in the pass.
Knock it off with the name calling.

Hay man I was just playin around. It's all good though. I'll just knock it all off.

I think the nitrous idea is a better idea. Big cam, high stall converter, 3.91’s when racing=fun. Put the 3.23’s back in while not racing=crap street car.
Smaller cam, streetable converter, 3.91’s for racing/3.23 for street use, nitrous for et.

You might be able to dip into the 11’s but nothing will get you there quicker than the sauce. (Nobody has to know you have it :usflag:)

Hidden nitrous systems??? - Yellow Bullet Forums

I'll just say, if you want to keep costs down, I wouldn't go past 4:10's. Once I went into the 4:xx ratios, heat(@ cruise) became an issue, freeway speeds and fuel economy went into the crapper

I'll just say, if you want to keep costs down, I wouldn't go past 4:10's. Once I went into the 4:xx ratios, heat(@ cruise) became an issue, freeway speeds and fuel economy went into the crapper

A lot of truth there. I had 4.30s in my 65 Valiant. I had to find the sweet spot with "mileage" as it was my daily driver for almost four years. Ends up, ironically, 55MPH put me dead on the best mileage it could get. "Whatever that was". I never measured it. It was "around" 2800 RPM give or take if I remember. Really wasn't too bad.

Well if you got some gears I have this cam sitting on the shelf collecting dust (I ended up with a lunati grind) I think would be spot on for you're combo and would make you a deal on. I would be buying nitrous myself, it is the ultimate streetable power adder (turn on make pass,shut off go home) and works well with high gears. I think low 12s are doable with your parts but idk about 11s.

STL4650AS.jpg

My .02....
If this is the complete level of rework(as in....... you’re changing only those items, and will run 3.23’s)you’re not going to get there

Agreed..definately..NOT with that 284/484 cam!!!

I would use the magnum heads for a compression bump and the rpm intake. Use that 528 cam and oil through lifters. Buy the conversion kit for the heads and run cheap chevy rockers. 3500 stall and at least 3.55 gears. Or. shave the la heads .060 and .050 intake side. and run them with the same cam and the rpm intake. Wont have to find oil through lifters or rockers arms. I still don't think youll get there without some 3.91 or deeper gears but much closer.

While it could be possible, the .528 cam is a 12's cam in it's best combo.
Mp designed it for that, decent street manners but enough to pull into 6900 and run a high 12's with 3.91's and slicks.
I've had 3 of them, they idle mild , lightly choppy. Sound great with some real compression, but a flattish tq curve.
Great for what they are.

Unless you're cloning a 340 car performance record... 3.23 are the death of your goal.
Bury this thread.

Well if you got some gears I have this cam sitting on the shelf collecting dust (I ended up with a lunati grind) I think would be spot on for you're combo and would make you a deal on. I would be buying nitrous myself, it is the ultimate streetable power adder (turn on make pass,shut off go home) and works well with high gears. I think low 12s are doable with your parts but idk about 11s.

View attachment 1715421318
used that grind in a 440. would put a 360 with a ported head , 4500 stall and a 4.30 gear in the 11's easily

That's ok. The headers are a luxury and I didn't know you already some. So running those is fine.

Ditto with the carb. Didn't know you had that already. I just detest Holley so much for the criminally ignorant tuning tips they put out and the fact that they hamstrung other carb manufacturers for decades, and the fact that Holley was slow to even begin to admit a choke was essentially useless and getting rid of it was a good thing. Just my personal disgust with the entire company history since I've started doing car stuff.

I'd use the 596 heads, your old school 284 cam (that's a good cam BTW, despite all the hate for it because it's not a "new" lobe) and your 273 rockers and the Stealth intake.

Both great post. I'm thinking right along the lines of both posts. I'm not against buying another cam, just not going roller in a LA block because of $$

View attachment 1715421318
THanks! Cam might be a little heavy for the gear/compression ?

-
Back