13.3's to 11.8's to Forget it...

whose got this?

• 318hasason 392 Hemi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 318isaDad 360 Duster

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
-
Let me just say to the few "nay-sayers", if I don't make it, fine. But I've been told a stock 360 without headers and 2.45's couldn't go 13's, but I went 13.9's consistently. Headers and 2.94's and I'm down to 13.3's. I'm going to change the 4 components (heads, cam, converter, gears) and see what I can get.
P.S. - boost or bottle will not be used.

That's ok. The headers are a luxury and I didn't know you already some. So running those is fine.

Ditto with the carb. Didn't know you had that already. I just detest Holley so much for the criminally ignorant tuning tips they put out and the fact that they hamstrung other carb manufacturers for decades, and the fact that Holley was slow to even begin to admit a choke was essentially useless and getting rid of it was a good thing. Just my personal disgust with the entire company history since I've started doing car stuff.

I'd use the 596 heads, your old school 284 cam (that's a good cam BTW, despite all the hate for it because it's not a "new" lobe) and your 273 rockers and the Stealth intake.
  • I have the choke horn but my choke is removed. I do not tune a Holley as Holley wants it done. I have a 10 pv in mine right now.
  • You like the Stealth better than the Eddy RPM's ??? interesting.

Let me just say to the few "nay-sayers", if I don't make it, fine. But I've been told a stock 360 without headers and 2.45's couldn't go 13's, but I went 13.9's consistently. Headers and 2.94's and I'm down to 13.3's. I'm going to change the 4 components (heads, cam, converter, gears) and see what I can get.

I have a Crane 340-360 stocker cam I would trade you for your 484 cam.
You know 360 stocker are running low 11s all the time.

I'm going to change the 4 components (heads, cam, converter, gears) and see what I can get.

I’m on board with all that.
Real heads
Real cam
Real converter
Real gears
Plus the other stuff you already own....... should be able to yield an “11”.
I just don’t see those items being something like a 484 cam, 11” converter, bowl ported 1.88 valve la heads and 3.23’s....... if you’re serious about the ET.

I like that you do it your own way...... so I’ll keep an eye on your progress and see how it works out.

I have a Crane 340-360 stocker cam I would trade you for your 484 cam.
You know 360 stocker are running low 11s all the time.
Hmmmmmm….… But man, wouldn't that stocker need at least 4.30's ? And at least a 4800 rpm flash stall ? If I don't use the 484 cam in this build, I'll do it. :)

I’m on board with all that.
Real heads
Real cam
Real converter
Real gears
Plus the other stuff you already own....... should be able to yield an “11”.
I just don’t see those items being something like a 484 cam, 11” converter, bowl ported 1.88 valve la heads and 3.23’s....... if you’re serious about the ET.

I like that you do it your own way...... so I’ll keep an eye on your progress and see how it works out.
appreciate it. Converter will most likely be a 9.5". 484 cam is just listing what I already have, I'm willing to buy another FT cam. suggestions on cam? Heads suggestions? Don't like the promaxx heads I posted in post 7 ?? I'd like 3.23's, but if I don't reach it I may go 3.73, no higher though.

Last edited:
We went 12.20’s with a 484 lift cam over 30 years ago. And that was the second time the guy was ever at a drag strip. Full weight 1972 Duster plus six point cage and frame connectors. And this was in Pittsburgh not some east coast super track.

Have you considered a low gear set for the 904? 3.55's with the low first are similar to 4.10's with the normal gears. Flip side is the RPM drop between gears which would be happier with a more torque oriented cam.

I’d run a fairly short duration solid lifter cam if it were up to me.
Thanks!. Do you have a specific grind in mind?

We went 12.20’s with a 484 lift cam over 30 years ago. And that was the second time the guy was ever at a drag strip. Full weight 1972 Duster plus six point cage and frame connectors. And this was in Pittsburgh not some east coast super track.
That's encouraging!

Have you considered a low gear set for the 904? 3.55's with the low first are similar to 4.10's with the normal gears. Flip side is the RPM drop between gears which would be happier with a more torque oriented cam.
Awesome suggestion! Actually, yes. I know a guy that builds tranny, and runs a mopar stocker himself. I've given that serious thought!

For the record, I'm not naysaying. I was merely pointing out an easier and cheaper way, that's all.

Hmmmmmm….… But man, wouldn't that stocker need at least 4.30's ? And at least a 4800 rpm flash stall ? If I don't use the 484 cam in this build, I'll do it. :)

What difference does flash stall make? If it's a good converter, flash stall will not affect street driving at all.

Maybe go with an OD transmission so you can run some deep gears and still have your highway cruise rpm and a set of Rhodes lifters to gain idle-3000 rpm to be more streetable.

Maybe go with an OD transmission so you can run some deep gears and still have your highway cruise rpm and a set of Rhodes lifters to gain idle-3000 rpm to be more streetable.
OD not at this time maybe Rhodes though

thinking with a 3500 converter the rpm range should be around 35-5500 the 484 should work.An increase in compression will help plus the tight lobe separation -108 will help Ive seen where the speedmaster heads didnt help much on a sbc vs the double humps.Dont be misled that there the end all be all.As far as the gears what if you had to run a powerglide with a 180 low? a small solid might make a little more power but the ? is how much really? Will you really notice it?

Thank God for guys that don’t mind working towards an easy goal instead of taking the wimpy way out and bolting on “the blue bottle”. Take pride in what YOU can do. Hold your head high.

Thank God for guys that don’t mind working towards an easy goal instead of taking the wimpy way out and bolting on “the blue bottle”. Take pride in what YOU can do. Hold your head high.

Gosh thanks man. All I was doing was throwing ideas out and I'm insulted? I'm growing pretty tired of this place anyway. How bout the mods just delete my ******* account?

THanks! Cam might be a little heavy for the gear/compression ?
Yeah,I was thinking more along the lines of a cam to run the numbers and not the whole package given the limitations you set.

I can say one of the most impressive street combos we had was a 360,j heads with 1.88/1.6 valves mild port to 230s/160s,10.1 compression,284 .484 cam installed straight up 108/108) rpm air gap,750 holley double pump and 3.55 gears.This thing had some serious low end and ran 108 mph in a porky *** challenger weighing in around 3,600 with a way too tight convertor that wanted to die in gear and no real tuning. I think with those things fixed it was capable of 110+ mph.

I have no problem with the 284/484 cam but in a perfect world personally would like to see it on 1.6 rockers as its a bit short on lift with 273 rockers. I still see it as a solid 12.0 project but if you check every box from weight to chassis to tune and the stars align you might surprise us all. I still say if it don't make it I would hit with a 100 shot lol.

Yeah,I was thinking more along the lines of a cam to run the numbers and not the whole package given the limitations you set.

I can say one of the most impressive street combos we had was a 360,j heads with 1.88/1.6 valves mild port to 230s/160s,10.1 compression,284 .484 cam installed straight up 108/108) rpm air gap,750 holley double pump and 3.55 gears.This thing had some serious low end and ran 108 mph in a porky *** challenger weighing in around 3,600 with a way too tight convertor that wanted to die in gear and no real tuning. I think with those things fixed it was capable of 110 mph.

I have no problem with the 284/484 cam but personally would like to see it on 1.6 rockers as its a bit short on lift with 273 rockers. I still see it as a solid 12.0 project but if you check every box form weight to chassis to tune and the stars align you might surprise us all. I still say if it don't make it I would hit with a 100 shot lol.
wondering about the 484 cam with magnum heads and 1.6 rocker? I've only done LA heads, never done Mag heads on a LA block. This would be my first time if I go that route.

-
Back