13.3's to 11.8's to Forget it...

whose got this?

• 318hasason 392 Hemi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 318isaDad 360 Duster

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
-
Keep looking for deals guys. 10% off coupons from summit are pretty easy to find and PayPal just offered me a 4% off card. Summit takes PayPal so that’s 14%. Every little bit helps

Anyone ever run a spool with 3.55's on the street? Just curious....

I have ran 4.88s and 5.13s and currently have a moser spool and axles with 4.88s in the Dart for street use.
Would I put 3.55s with a spool in a 8 3/4 on the street for everyday driving? No thanks.

I have ran 4.88s and 5.13s and currently have a moser spool and axles with 4.88s in the Dart for street use.
Would I put 3.55s with a spool in a 8 3/4 on the street for everyday driving? No thanks.
I'm sure you'll be a witness to this progress... LOL. I'm sure at some point you'll be staged beside it
:thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll be a witness to this progress... LOL. I'm sure at some point you'll be staged beside it
:thumbsup:

So, does "the race continue"?

I used that MP 284 484 in the first motor I built when I was young. It was a low compression 360, 2.02 heads,home ported, with the MP templates . It was fun with a 9 1/2 inch converter. I put it in a $200 62 Ford pickup with 4.10s. I ran a predator carb for a while, and then switched to holley.

Something to think about from a thread on moparts:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/897511/360-cam-selection.html

"This won't answer your cam question, But was a good 360 build. A Friend of mine built 72 valiant with a .30 over 360 and the kb107's He ran a real small comp solid lift cam. Think it was 468 lift? I built him a 904 with the low 1st gear. I Had a little special converter a shop here in town did for me. It was kinda like the TCI 3500 street fighter converters but a little better. Ran 3.23 rear gears with 28x9 mickeys. Through 2.5" hooker maximum flow mufflers we got a best of 7.57 in the 1/8 with a 1.57 60ft. It would go through the 1/8 still in 2nd gear. We won a bunch of races in that car. Everyone swore it was a 408 stroker for the way it would leave. Another friend bought the car and was in 14 finals the next year. Then he started running cheaper gas in it and hurt 3 of the kb107 pistons. Cheap gas and Denotation and the kb pistons won't live.
Car was around 3170 lbs with driver."

Get as much Comp as you can tune for.

I'll just say, if you want to keep costs down, I wouldn't go past 4:10's. Once I went into the 4:xx ratios, heat(@ cruise) became an issue, freeway speeds and fuel economy went into the crapper

Gear should never affect engine temp. I run 4.56's and have zero issues. You had some other issues.

Now...fuel mileage...aaaaaaaayup. Gear is a mileage killer.

For me, I'd rather increase my carbon footprint to piss of the granola eating Birkenstock wearing tree hugging fruit loops.

But that's just me.

Yeah,I was thinking more along the lines of a cam to run the numbers and not the whole package given the limitations you set.

I can say one of the most impressive street combos we had was a 360,j heads with 1.88/1.6 valves mild port to 230s/160s,10.1 compression,284 .484 cam installed straight up 108/108) rpm air gap,750 holley double pump and 3.55 gears.This thing had some serious low end and ran 108 mph in a porky *** challenger weighing in around 3,600 with a way too tight convertor that wanted to die in gear and no real tuning. I think with those things fixed it was capable of 110+ mph.

I have no problem with the 284/484 cam but in a perfect world personally would like to see it on 1.6 rockers as its a bit short on lift with 273 rockers. I still see it as a solid 12.0 project but if you check every box from weight to chassis to tune and the stars align you might surprise us all. I still say if it don't make it I would hit with a 100 shot lol.

Do I know that car???

Do I know that car???
The engine was in my dart originally when my cousin owned it. When we got the car we sold it to a buddy who put it in his wifes 73 challenger and with street tires and some 2.0 60 foots the car went 13.0s at 108. He kept thinking it had a carb issue so he had me look at it and when he put it in gear it would dam near die-gotta love them b&m 3000 stall converters!.

LOL!! Now you are just bragging!!!!

Weak moment I guess. Lol
ahhhhh….. I feel the same. If I have a 360 with upgraded heads, cam, headers, converter in a A-body, I don't want NOS to run a high 11. It just don't sound right.
Aren't bottles for babies?????? (oops, somebody will thrash me over that :D )

ahhhhh….. I feel the same. If I have a 360 with upgraded heads, cam, headers, converter in a A-body, I don't want NOS to run a high 11. It just don't sound right.

No you’re safe. He yelled at me and closed his account. Lol. I’m not saying nitrous doesn’t have a need, it’s just not needed here.

Last edited:
Let me just say to the few "nay-sayers", if I don't make it, fine. But I've been told a stock 360 without headers and 2.45's couldn't go 13's, but I went 13.9's consistently. Headers and 2.94's and I'm down to 13.3's. I'm going to change the 4 components (heads, cam, converter, gears) and see what I can get.
P.S. - boost or bottle will not be used.
From gurus to self-proclaimed dumbasses LOL elevens are not in your future...
every time the duster comes out of the garage...
. I run 4.56's and have zero issues..
When did that happen? In Fantasyland?...
:poke:..
Elevens..:rofl:..
Toke.gif

every time the duster comes out of the garage...
.View attachment 1715422000...
You have 3.54's with a spool? Dana probably has more meat on the ring/pinion than the 8.75. Fear is without the thickness of ring and pinion, something could break with to much street driving. I've never run a spool, only sure-grips. I can get a new spool for under 100. Sure grips are 2.7 million dollars. It's the reason I'm curious about it.

Nitrous is like anabolic steroids. Each juice cost you some cheap money and it’s extremely effective but not permanent. When everyone is on it, it makes perfect sense to spray since it’s the most logical method to reach the same power level you’re hanging around.

You have 3.54's with a spool? Dana probably has more meat on the ring/pinion than the 8.75. Fear is without the thickness of ring and pinion, something could break with to much street driving. I've never run a spool, only sure-grips. I can get a new spool for under 100. Sure grips are 2.7 million dollars. It's the reason I'm curious about it.
I know we're not going to argue the difference between 354 and 355 are we?
The Dana has way more meat than the 8 and 3/4.. and I don't think it's the street driving that's going to hurt it... Not going around corners at 5 miles an hour... It'll be the time you heat those Mickey's up on the back and put promaxx heads Big cam and all that on the front and then when that new torque converter flashes at 4500 in the middle...

Nitrous is like anabolic steroids. Each juice cost you some cheap money and it’s extremely effective but not permanent. When everyone is on it, it makes perfect sense to spray since it’s the most logical method to reach the same power level you’re hanging around.
Reminds me of a song - I used to do a little bit a little wouldn't do it, so a little got more and more...

-
Back