13.3's to 11.8's to Forget it...

whose got this?

• 318hasason 392 Hemi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 318isaDad 360 Duster

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
-
I've said it time and time over the years that this math of going from 15 second quarter miles to 13 second quarter miles is not the same math as going 13 second quarter miles to 11 second quarter miles but what do I know...
even others are now alluding to it and it's just not sinking in but like others said also- I'll enjoy watching it..:popcorn:...

I know we're not going to argue the difference between 354 and 355 are we?
The Dana has way more meat than the 8 and 3/4.. and I don't think it's the street driving that's going to hurt it... Not going around corners at 5 miles an hour... It'll be the time you heat those Mickey's up on the back and put promaxx heads Big cam and all that on the front and then when that new torque converter flashes at 4500 in the middle...
spool on the street was my point..... means 3.54's are basically identical to 3.55's.

I've said it time and time over the years that this math of going from 15 second quarter miles to 13 second quarter miles is not the same math as going 13 second quarter miles to 11 second quarter miles but what do I know...
even others are now alluding to it and it's just not sinking in but like others said also- I'll enjoy watching it..:popcorn:...
I just want to make sure I understand this quote. You are saying if I order Promaxx heads, new cam, PTC converter, and 3.23's/or 3.55's (all of which I said was on the table) my car isn't going to hit 11's. Is that your statement?

P.S. - is somebody arguing that it takes more hp gain to go from a 13 flats to a 12 flat than it does to go from a 16 flat to a 15 flat? That's common knowledge.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure I understand this quote. You are saying if I order Promaxx heads, new cam, PTC converter, and 3.23's/or 3.55's (all of which I said was on the table) my car isn't going to hit 11's. Is that your statement?

MORE gear atleast 3.91's..

The quicker you make a car ET the HP required to make it even faster is an exponential equation. A 3.55 gear is not going to turn the rpm you need to run the mph you need up top and 60' time at the start with the hp/tq you will have. Wallace racing has several good calcs for gearing etc to figure out the rpm needed with converter slippage. IMO the 3.91 with 26 tire will get you in the ball park. Get the car in the 1.65 60' and you will beat most of the NA new cars. New cars don't 60' very well and if you cut good lights very few will catch you on the big end.

The quicker you make a car ET the HP required to make it even faster is an exponential equation. A 3.55 gear is not going to turn the rpm you need to run the mph you need up top and 60' time at the start with the hp/tq you will have. Wallace racing has several good calcs for gearing etc to figure out the rpm needed with converter slippage. IMO the 3.91 with 26 tire will get you in the ball park. Get the car in the 1.65 60' and you will beat most of the NA new cars. New cars don't 60' very well and if you cut good lights very few will catch you on the big end.
right now, due to traction, he'd never run with me in a zero to 40 mph race. He's going to go from 20" rims down to 18" rims for more sidewall and also going with a wider tire to help with traction. My goal is to stick to his side like the MOPAR decals on the side of his car :)

As soon as I get my crush sleeve eliminator I can put together a set of 3.91s with a spool for you.
Thanks, I'd like to try them in my 318 car. But this 360 car I think I'll start with 3.23's, even if it's an open 3.23.

Watch that you don't over-gear, if the engine don't spin high enough, it sucks. My car runs through the gears way too quick, don't get me wrong it's fun, but she doesn't pull much past 5,000... And it doesn't take long to wind up to there. One of these days I will pull my center and see what gears I actually have. Came out of an 1/8 mi big block 72 demon racecar.

Watch that you don't over-gear, if the engine don't spin high enough, it sucks. My car runs through the gears way too quick, don't get me wrong it's fun, but she doesn't pull much past 5,000... And it doesn't take long to wind up to there. One of these days I will pull my center and see what gears I actually have. Came out of an 1/8 mi big block 72 demon racecar.

You can't over gear a lawn mower with a 3.9X gear. Ever. A /6 wouldn't be over geared with a 3.9X gear.

The problem is now, and always has been, that guys don't use ENOUGH gear and ENOUGH converter. It's just dumb really. It's simple math. RPM, MPH and tire diameter. How so many guy miss I can't say, but it's epidemic at the very least.

Had a customer with a Dart and a 383 Chevy in it. Built the engine for him and told him what gear to run. He says ok.

Car goes out and it's a pig. I mean a real porker. And he tells me it's turning 8200 at the lights.

After I fall on the floor, laugh my *** off with tears running down my face I say I told you what gear to run (it was 5.38) and he says yeah, I told everybody what you said, and I put the 4.30's in there so it wouldn't rev it's guts out and now it's still wound up too tight.

So I tell this mental pigmy there ain't now way on this big blue marble your silly *** in crossing at 8200 with a 4.30 gear, a 31.5 inch tall tire and your MPH. Either your tach in junk, the converter is junk, or the clocks are wrong.

The tach goes back to Auto Meter and they say it's perfect (they always are). But now, the car is crossing at way less RPM at the same MPH. Junk tach. But he was impressed when he could tell his drinking buddies his **** was turning 8k through the lights. But it wasn't, and it needed to.

I tell this dolt again, to get some 5.38 cogs in the pig and let it growl. But noooooooo...all the fence leaning gurus told him 4.88 max.

Fortunately he compromised and used a 5.13 and on a good day it would cross at 8000.

Just another example of guys listening to guys they should ignore.

P.S. - is somebody arguing that it takes more hp gain to go from a 13 flats to a 12 flat than it does to go from a 16 flat to a 15 flat? That's common knowledge.
What I do know is it's all lip service now..
I wouldn't be 100% shocked if you just barely eked your way into an 11.9999...
if you build your car like a kid and put all kinds of top end on it you do realize what's going to happen after some time trying to do 11's...
I would advise having your wife on alert with the Ramcharger and have her know where to pick up a U-Haul car trailer... Or make sure your AAA towing is paid up...

ahhhhh….. I feel the same. If I have a 360 with upgraded heads, cam, headers, converter in a A-body, I don't want NOS to run a high 11. It just don't sound right.
Aren't bottles for babies?????? (oops, somebody will thrash me over that :D )
I wont trash you but where I am coming from is if we want to keep the drag race hobby alive with the younger generation it kinda defeats the purpose when all of us go around and make statements like this.
Think about some kid wanting to run as fast as allowed with no roll bar having to build a car from the ground up to run 11s n/a,not likely he has a minimum of 20k laying around to blow and that's if he gets some serious deals and does most of the work.
On the other hand he gets a solid junkyard 5.2/5.9 magnum,mid 70s a body,and an exploder 8.8 rear with 3.73s and a nitrous kit and hes in the game at a price he can afford. He still built his stuff and learned what works he just did it differently. Old school is cool but times have changed and the 340/8 3/4 cars I could pick up back in the day for a grand or two would cost me 10-15k today.

I wouldn't be 100% shocked if you just barely eked your way into an 11.9999...
Out of your quote, this is what I like. Thank you. I feel the same, I may be able to eek an 11.99, and that will make that 500 hp Hemi backed by the 8 speed grunt!

I wont trash you but where I am coming from is if we want to keep the drag race hobby alive with the younger generation it kinda defeats the purpose when all of us go around and make statements like this.
Think about some kid wanting to run as fast as allowed with no roll bar having to build a car from the ground up to run 11s n/a,not likely he has a minimum of 20k laying around to blow and that's if he gets some serious deals and does most of the work.
On the other hand he gets a solid junkyard 5.2/5.9 magnum,mid 70s a body,and an exploder 8.8 rear with 3.73s and a nitrous kit and hes in the game at a price he can afford. He still built his stuff and learned what works he just did it differently. Old school is cool but times have changed and the 340/8 3/4 cars I could pick up back in the day for a grand or two would cost me 10-15k today.
20k to run 11's ??? :eek::eek: I sure hope not or I won't be play'n that 11 second game!

20k to run 11's ??? :eek::eek: I sure hope not or I won't be play'n that 11 second game!
To start from scratch?,an engine build alone would eat up 5k of that for a procomp headed engine.Now go buy a decent mopar body,how about a trans,converter,rear end,slicks,suspension rebuild on and on.Im not sure how you figure up the costs of doing this but it aint cheap.

You can't over gear a lawn mower with a 3.9X gear. Ever. A /6 wouldn't be over geared with a 3.9X gear.

The problem is now, and always has been, that guys don't use ENOUGH gear and ENOUGH converter. It's just dumb really. It's simple math. RPM, MPH and tire diameter. How so many guy miss I can't say, but it's epidemic at the very least.

Had a customer with a Dart and a 383 Chevy in it. Built the engine for him and told him what gear to run. He says ok.

Car goes out and it's a pig. I mean a real porker. And he tells me it's turning 8200 at the lights.

After I fall on the floor, laugh my *** off with tears running down my face I say I told you what gear to run (it was 5.38) and he says yeah, I told everybody what you said, and I put the 4.30's in there so it wouldn't rev it's guts out and now it's still wound up too tight.

So I tell this mental pigmy there ain't now way on this big blue marble your silly *** in crossing at 8200 with a 4.30 gear, a 31.5 inch tall tire and your MPH. Either your tach in junk, the converter is junk, or the clocks are wrong.

The tach goes back to Auto Meter and they say it's perfect (they always are). But now, the car is crossing at way less RPM at the same MPH. Junk tach. But he was impressed when he could tell his drinking buddies his **** was turning 8k through the lights. But it wasn't, and it needed to.

I tell this dolt again, to get some 5.38 cogs in the pig and let it growl. But noooooooo...all the fence leaning gurus told him 4.88 max.

Fortunately he compromised and used a 5.13 and on a good day it would cross at 8000.

Just another example of guys listening to guys they should ignore.

If you have the motor to spin 8,000, yeah you will benefit from having the gear... But one that is pretty much done at 5,000 you won't be happy with a deep gear and a smaller tire. I would be willing to bet my car would be quite a bit quicker through the 1/4 with a 3.23 than it is as is. No offense, I haven't verified my gear, but I would just about bet it wouldn't run over 100 mph in 3rd gear wound out. DiDon get me wrong, she's going to get there quick, but doesn't have the guts to wind out with the gears. In drive, I probably won't make it 10' in 1st gear. Stock 76 318 and 904 trans

unforking real. Hang on help is on it's way.

To start from scratch?,an engine build alone would eat up 5k of that for a procomp headed engine.Now go buy a decent mopar body,how about a trans,converter,rear end,slicks,suspension rebuild on and on.Im not sure how you figure up the costs of doing this but it aint cheap.
well, simply put if a "kid nowadays" wants a nice old classic, then he'll have to get his butt to work like we all do. If he wants to go 11's the "easy way", he can bolt a fart can and NOS on his Civic. But to go 11's to me isn't a huge bill. I just went 13.3's with a 700 dollar motor carb to pan. We'll see how much more to go 11's.

well, simply put if a "kid nowadays" wants a nice old classic, then he'll have to get his butt to work like we all do. If he wants to go 11's the "easy way", he can bolt a fart can and NOS on his Civic. But to go 11's to me isn't a huge bill. I just went 13.3's with a 700 dollar motor carb to pan. We'll see how much more to go 11's.
Its all good and if you look back at my posts I am all for what you are doing and have been there a few times myself but you are missing my point and that's ok. I would rather see my kid and his buds in a old mopar having a blast with old iron and going fast than to be in a honda. He works his butt off none the less if its a beater with nitrous going 11s or n/a, the only difference is one can be done with less efficient parts and less money. This has nothing to do with trying to change your mind or influence your build. For me personally I had lost sight of how expensive it is to build a car anymore because I am spoiled,then I experienced it with my son and his friends. I have also seen the way some older guys at the track treat them and it pisses me off, sorry if it got off track.

Oh, and I don't think a civic will do 11s with just nitrous and a fart can lol

Its all good and if you look back at my posts I am all for what you are doing and have been there a few times myself but you are missing my point and that's ok. I would rather see my kid and his buds in a old mopar having a blast with old iron and going fast than to be in a honda. He works his butt off none the less if its a beater with nitrous going 11s or n/a, the only difference is one can be done with less efficient parts and less money. This has nothing to do with trying to change your mind or influence your build. For me personally I had lost sight of how expensive it is to build a car anymore because I am spoiled,then I experienced it with my son and his friends. I have also seen the way some older guys at the track treat them and it pisses me off, sorry if it got off track.

Oh, and I don't think a civic will do 11s with just nitrous and a fart can lol
It's all good :) I'm just say'n NOS isn't going to be a part of me running high 11's. If I land a mid 12 so be it. It's page 6, soon to be 7, NOS isn't happening lol. Besides, my wife would lose respect for me... literally! LOL.

If you have the motor to spin 8,000, yeah you will benefit from having the gear... But one that is pretty much done at 5,000 you won't be happy with a deep gear and a smaller tire. I would be willing to bet my car would be quite a bit quicker through the 1/4 with a 3.23 than it is as is. No offense, I haven't verified my gear, but I would just about bet it wouldn't run over 100 mph in 3rd gear wound out. DiDon get me wrong, she's going to get there quick, but doesn't have the guts to wind out with the gears. In drive, I probably won't make it 10' in 1st gear. Stock 76 318 and 904 trans

That's what it was BUILT for. That's what HE wanted.

My point is he under geared a car. Most are.

It's all good :) I'm just say'n NOS isn't going to be a part of me running high 11's. If I land a mid 12 so be it. It's page 6, soon to be 7, NOS isn't happening lol. Besides, my wife would lose respect for me... literally! LOL.
With your experience level and age it shouldnt be!,of course I dont really know how old you are lol.

-
Back