15x8 Cragar SS's on the rear of a 66 Dart

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I searched through some threads but didn't find a real answer. There are many 63-66 Dart's here. Anybody run 15x8 SS's without jacking the thing sky high or cutting and hacking? I know 15x7's will fit. Anybody try 8's? (4 1/2" backspace) tmm

I searched through some threads but didn't find a real answer. There are many 63-66 Dart's here. Anybody run 15x8 SS's without jacking the thing sky high or cutting and hacking? I know 15x7's will fit. Anybody try 8's? (4 1/2" backspace) tmm

it'll be tight dude, i just put some 17x7's w/a 4.25 bs on my car (66 valiant w/no wheel well/spring mods) it's lowered two inches, so the wheel/tire combo had to be right on, and these wheels fit perfect, there about an inch from the spring, and about 1/2 to 3/4" from the outside of the well. so, total width of the tire (sidewall to sidewall) will play a factor, the total width on my tire is 9.8 inches, and the tread width is 9.4 inches. your bs is only a 1/4" more, so they'll fit but will be tight, that's why total width is going to be important..........there's a 66 barracuda on the tech archive forum under the a body wheel/tire sizes thread........this guy has 17x8's w/4.5 bs on his car, and he had to do some minor mods to the drivers side spring because of the rearend he has, but other than that they fit, chk. it out.

some pics of my clearence's....
higgs

Attachments

• my new wheels 2 011.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 994
  • my new wheels 2 017.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 878
  • my new wheels 2 026.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 948
  • my new wheels 2 027.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 861
  • my new wheels 2 035.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 861
Toolmanmike.....I have 8"X15" cop wheels on my '65 Valiant (all 4 corners) with 215-60 tires on the rear. With careful attention to back spacing you should be able to fit a set of 235-60 tires on the back. 225-60 for sure. I think a 7" wheel with 4 1/2" back spacing is where I need to be, the 8" wheel pushes the sidewall bulge out a tad too far. My fronts have 195-60 tires on them but that is what was there when I bought the cqr.
Higgs.....what is your tire size, especially the diameter? Did you use lowering blocks to drop the rear? If so, ain't adjusting the rear brakes fun?
Bob

Toolmanmike.....I have 8"X15" cop wheels on my '65 Valiant (all 4 corners) with 215-60 tires on the rear. With careful attention to back spacing you should be able to fit a set of 235-60 tires on the back. 225-60 for sure. I think a 7" wheel with 4 1/2" back spacing is where I need to be, the 8" wheel pushes the sidewall bulge out a tad too far. My fronts have 195-60 tires on them but that is what was there when I bought the cqr.
Higgs.....what is your tire size, especially the diameter? Did you use lowering blocks to drop the rear? If so, ain't adjusting the rear brakes fun?
Bob

bob,
my tires are 245/45/17's, the diameter is just under 26 inches i believe, also i was slightly wrong on the width/tread above, those are numbers off a hoosier tire that i almost bought.........total width on these are 9.4, and tread is about 9 inches on the ground......the car is lowered w/2 inch lowering blocks, so yes, it can be fun adjusting the brakes lol.......
higgs

Thanks, Higgs. If I go away from the 15 wheels I was looking at a 235-50R17 tire. It is a 9.6" section width, 8.4" tread width, and 26.3" diameter. It is .2" wider at the bulge than yours but maybe 4.5" of back spacing will work?
Bob

Thanks, Higgs. If I go away from the 15 wheels I was looking at a 235-50R17 tire. It is a 9.6" section width, 8.4" tread width, and 26.3" diameter. It is .2" wider at the bulge than yours but maybe 4.5" of back spacing will work?
Bob

as to what i'm seeing on my ride i think that bs will work, it'll be tight though.....
higgs

Mike-
A few years ago I put a pair of 15x8 Cragar SS's on my D/Dart just to see if they would fit. I think the tire size was 275/60 x15. They are older BFG Drag Radials. They didn't fit. Too much tire cross sectional width. You'd need a 235 or 255 tire.

I can check the actual tire and rim specs later this week if you want me too.

My Dart has SS springs on it.
Alan

not early A body but later like my 70 Swinger will fit 255X60X15 on these Wheel Vintiques Small Bolt Wheels I have and get all of it into the wheel well without hitting anything and leaving about an inch clearance on each side. Backspace is critical though. Mine have 4 5/8 backspace. With this backspace 15X8 fit too but the tire is about a 1/4 of an inch from the fender lip. If you have wheels with at least 4 1/2 inch backspace 15, 16, or 17X7 wheels should fit your car with the 255X60 tires as I have seen tires this size on early Darts and Valiants at shows. What this means is there is not much difference from early to later a body when there is low and small wheel openings.
Chas.

Hi Guys, would a '64 Dart have the same rear wheel clearance as the '66 Valiant?.. I know it's the same undercarriage and the rear wheel body line looks very similar. I've dropped in an 8 3/4" behind a 3rd Gen Hemi and am looking for the biggest wheel/tire combo without mods. Thanks!!

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Hi Guys, would a '64 Dart have the same rear wheel clearance as the '66 Valiant?.. I know it's the same undercarriage and the rear wheel body line looks very similar. I've dropped in an 8 3/4" behind a 3rd Gen Hemi and am looking for the biggest wheel/tire combo without mods. Thanks!!

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Should be the same.

15'' x8'' with a 41/2" BS will work Mike These are not SS's but Rallies.
Ed.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 498
what size tire ?looks good , but not much room left , did you have to bend ant sheet metal to get them to fit ?

-
Back