16" Wheels

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have 16s on Their car? I am curious to see how they look proportionally.

not the best pics but it may help.. the 68 dart has 16" wheels. the 71 dart has 17" wheels.. a lot better selection when you get to a 17 or 18" wheel then with a 16..

9-7-09002.jpg

9-7-09005.jpg

9-7-09013.jpg

I think its too bad there's not a lot of 16" choices they look right at home on muscle cars nice balance side wall to rim.

Those 17's look better anyway IMO and tire selection is far better.

Last edited:
The first photo are 16's the second photo are 15's hard to tell the difference. And yes they do look right at home on a old Mopar.

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

16 in tires are getting scarce like 14 and 15's. I have a 95 dodge 3500 with 16's.
on our old cars..... basically a 16 in rim and 60 series tire would pretty much give the same total height as a 15 and 70 series I bet. personally, I can stand to look at the larger rims and rubber ban tire. but I am old and old school! ha

16 in tires are getting scarce like 14 and 15's. I have a 95 dodge 3500 with 16's.
on our old cars..... basically a 16 in rim and 60 series tire would pretty much give the same total height as a 15 and 70 series I bet. personally, I can stand to look at the larger rims and rubber ban tire. but I am old and old school! ha

15" tires aren't getting scarce, nor are 16"

17+ doesn't look like rubber bands all the time. It all depends on the profile of the tire. a 28" tire on a 18" rim has 5" on each side. Same as a 24" tire on old school 15's, etc.

18s.jpg

Last edited:
Skip 16" wheels and go to 17" wheels. There are much more tire selections to choose from in 17"... But even that is dwindling down.

i guess i mean choices of tires in 14,15, and 16 is smaller and getting smaller. used tires in 14 and 15 pretty much non existant. i guess i am the only person here that considers used tires! ha
seems like anyone that does not like the larger rims is shunned! ha

Summit has 1,396 tires in 17" wheels size for passenger cars and competition.

947 tires for 16"

733 for 15".

i guess i mean choices of tires in 14,15, and 16 is smaller and getting smaller. used tires in 14 and 15 pretty much non existant. i guess i am the only person here that considers used tires! ha
seems like anyone that does not like the larger rims is shunned! ha

14"....there is some truth there.

The reason you see less used tires in those sizes isn't the availability of new, it's that late model cars are typically 17" and up now a days. There are a few exceptions. But even then, many of those people are upgrading.

My audi for example. Last time I needed tires I threw my wheels and used tires away in my scrap pile and bought 18's.

audi wheels.png

audi.jpg

Last edited:
Yea i understand 16 is not used as much as 15s or 17s. Anything above 17 And i lose interest.

When people are talking about tire availability. Its in performance tires cause you can get competition tires in any size rim
But lot of performance tires don't come in anything under 18" and if the do the 18" 19" can go from 205 to 355 and every step in between. Where as 16" and under will have just a few sizes and more likely between 205 - 225 and a few above which is fine for most of us.

Yea i understand 16 is not used as much as 15s or 17s. Anything above 17 And i lose interest.
Well, Ya had to know everyone had to give You their opinion as advice, lol! Only two have obliged Your request for pics of their rides w/16's mounted out of 17 responses,
& abodyjoe is the only pics of Your model w/comparative rims. Haven't decided which rims for my '64GT, but they will be 16's w/225/50R16's , 60 options at tire rack
alone from snows to competition skins. Same size I'm runnin' on the ShelbyZ, and unless I'm actually planning full on track suspension upgrades, the tires I can get in
that size are pushing the stock equipment over the edge already.

Summit has 1,396 tires in 17" wheels size for passenger cars and competition.

947 tires for 16"

733 for 15".

Well, Ya had to know everyone had to give You their opinion as advice, lol! Only two have obliged Your request for pics of their rides w/16's mounted out of 17 responses,
& abodyjoe is the only pics of Your model w/comparative rims. Haven't decided which rims for my '64GT, but they will be 16's w/225/50R16's , 60 options at tire rack
alone from snows to competition skins. Same size I'm runnin' on the ShelbyZ, and unless I'm actually planning full on track suspension upgrades, the tires I can get in
that size are pushing the stock equipment over the edge already.

Ok, right off I'll say I don't have any pictures of 16" rims for help.

So now the availability thing. If you don't mind running 225's or narrower, you have decent selection in 15 and 16" rims. Decent, not great. And actual performance tires are more limited than that. But, if you want anything wider than a 225, your options fall off a cliff. I went to Summit, which doesn't have everything but they have a decent selection. I searched by 15, 16, and 17" rims, just like roccodart440 did. But then I went a little further, and limited tire height to 24-28", because that's about all you can do with the stock tubs. I also only looked at radials, because if you want to run bias ply's you only have a couple choices anyway. Then I looked at the available tire sizes and ignored anything smaller than a 235 and larger than a 275, because a 275 is the best you'll do on a Dart with a 1/2" spring offset and stock tubs. Bigger than that requires much more significant modification. I called out 245's because that's a fairly safe bet for a wide tire on the back of a Dart that doesn't usually require cutting or moving anything with the proper backspace. I just took a screenshot of the relevant sizes, blocked out some of the front runners (you know, like a 26x6x15) and really wide drag radials (ie, 26x12x15) and added up the rest.

15's- 36 choices. Notice though that in each size you only have a few options. Like 245's? well, there's 6.
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 7.14.32 PM.png

16's - 44 choices. That's a little misleading though, because 29 of them are in a 235/60/16, which is a 27" tire. If you don't like those, you only have 15 choices. 245's? Yeah there's 7.
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 7.13.42 PM.png

17's - 378 choices. And a lot of choices in the useful sizes, like a 235/45/17 (70!) 245/45/17 (70!) or 255/40/17 (40!). Just in 245's of various heights there's 124 choices.
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 7.14.06 PM.png

And that doesn't even address quality of tire, because a bunch of those 15 and 16" tires are hockey pucks, where in 17" there's a better selection of performance tires. So that's where the "no selection available" statement in the 15" and 16" rims comes from. If you want to run 215's or 225's you have some selection. But if you want anything wider than that, yeah, selection pretty much sucks compared to 17" or 18" rims. Oh, if you're curious, if you follow the same rules and look at 18" tires (24-28" tall, 235 up to 275) you get 773. And 262 of those are various heights of 245's.

Here is something of interest. This is a 225/50R16 mounted on 8.5" corvette wheels. Notice the sidewall sticks out past the edge of the wheel. This is a good fit.

vette wheels.jpg

Last edited:
Here is something of interest. This is a 225/50R16 mounted on 8.5" corvette wheels. Notice the sidewall sticks out last the edge of the wheel. This is a good fit.

View attachment 1715034760
I have a life long friend that is the northern regional manager for firestone tire. he has informed me that by the end of this year there will be no more 14" or 15" tires being made, so if you need 14" or 15" tires I would recommend buying them now if you need them. I have 14" cragars on my dart so I am in the same boat. he is going to try and bump me up to a 16" so i'll have time until they phase them out. just for your information.

Maybe firestone is getting out of it, I doubt it, but maybe...

My parents own a newer Toyota Prius. It has 14 or 15" wheels. So they wont' be able to get tires for a brand new car?

Come on.. He's blowing smoke up your ***

And if MT stops making 15's hell has frozen over

Yeah I don't think the 15's will go away. Even the 14's, but you may end up being left with buying something from Coker or something like that with only a couple of size options in some kind of remake of an original looking tire, or drag radials from MT or the like. Now, you might have to run Prius sized tires on your musclecar eventually if you want something other than an original looking remake. And of course the remake's will be really expensive hockey pucks, and Prius' run pretty cute little tires. Not everyone wants to run drag radials. Fortunately there's pretty good support for all those autoX miata's, but again, that doesn't help a lot for street tires. And Miata's run pretty cute little tires too. The issue will continue to be tires that are more than 245mm wide, and I just see that getting worse for 14's, 15's and 16's.

-
Back