17" TorqLites on a 73 Duster

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
Nitto 275-50-17's on 17x8 in rear, 28" tall
Nitto 225-50-17's on 17x7 in front. 26" tall

Rears fit with a 3/16" spacer, barely clearing the spring shackle. Clearance aplenty in the wheelwell, fronts fit with no effort.

:-D

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 07 16.20.jpg

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 07 16.21.jpg

ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 07 16.21.jpg

ScreenHunter_04 Feb. 07 16.21.jpg

ScreenHunter_05 Feb. 07 16.21.jpg

ScreenHunter_06 Feb. 07 16.22.jpg

ScreenHunter_08 Feb. 07 16.22.jpg

ScreenHunter_07 Feb. 07 16.22.jpg

They look great but the front end needs to come down a bit.

Looks good, i think the whole car needs to go down actually. Lowered mine down when i went with the bigger wheels

cudalowered.jpg

I agree on the front end needing to be lower. It will have to have an alignment when that is done, and I did not have time today. Of course, too much lower and the ever popular "merry-go-round the steering linkage" headers will drag.

So, Mr Goody, do your front tires scrub when turning?

That's what I was thinking... back spacing numbers would be great! Maybe it is possible to get the right back space, and forget about using the spacers.

I agree on the front end needing to be lower. It will have to have an alignment when that is done, and I did not have time today. Of course, too much lower and the ever popular "merry-go-round the steering linkage" headers will drag.

So, Mr Goody, do your front tires scrub when turning?

No sure, closer to hitting the arch of the fender than anything else. Probably due to them being 27" tall.

-Mike

Yes, 4.5" BackSpacing. Unfortunatly, the torqlite's don't have a 4" BS option, as that would have been ideal! I got the wheels on sale at wheelsforless.com, and they were $522.75 shipped. I was looking at the Hopsters or the TorqThrusts, since they could be had with a 4" BS, but that would have been another $400! I can live with an invisible spacer for that. All out they set me back $1099.11, with the nittos bought and installed at my local tire shop.

looks great... i have the same size tires front and rear on my dart and can not believe how much the duster swallows those rear tires... on a dart they almost make it look tubbed...

yea man lower that baby as much as you can. i want to lower mine a bit more too.. the lower it gets the better it starts to look with tires like that..

dartsthmtn.jpg

Oh, and this is with the factory 8.25 rear.

So... is 4" back spacing "ideal"? What about up front?

Ideal for the 275-50-17's. It depends on the shape of the tire, specifically it's max width and it's tread width. My measurements show that for my car, with the 8.25" rear, a 4" BS would mount the most tires in the center of the wheel well, which has a max width between leaf springs and inside of fender lip of 11 5/8". Below is my amatuerish attaempt at measuring the wheelwell opening.

Up front, the 4" BS is fine.

ScreenHunter_14 Feb. 07 22.15.jpg

Thanks for the info, JimmyRay

I have been trying to figure out what size tires to use on my Demon.

I wouldn't think that an 8-3/4 rear would be any different than an 8-1/4 rear for mounting purposes... but who knows!

I am leaning towards a "more contemporary", 15" set of wheels... but your do look good!

So it looks like I could go with a 225/60SR/15 fronts mounted on a 7" wide wheel with 4" of back space... and 275/60SR/15 rears mounted on an 8" wide wheel with 4" of back space.

Looks like that wheel and tire combo would set in or near the exact center of the rear wheel wells.

Can't remember where I found this chart onlin, but it indicates that the 8.75 & the 8.25 for a-bodies are the same dimensions.

Would a 17x7 wheel with 4.5" back space, and with my rear lowered 2-3 inches, fit well on my 64 dart in the rear wheelwell without hitting the springs or touching the quater panel side?

Would a 17x7 wheel with 4.5" back space, and with my rear lowered 2-3 inches, fit well on my 64 dart in the rear wheelwell without hitting the springs or touching the quater panel side?

djvcuda is running a 17 x 7 with a 4 1/4 backspace on it.. with a tire something like 225/50-17.. on his 66 cuda might want to get ahold of him and ask...

i fit a 17x8 with a 5.72 backspace and a 225/50-17 onthe rear of a 69 dart. 8 3/4 rear and big bolt axles and brakes.

-
Back