17 years in the Barn - Need new knowledge

-
can you post a picture of the cam doc spec sheet? and also is this a cam sold through direct connection or mopar performance with a mopar part number?

It was a competition cams grind.
Based on my 30 year old handwriting.
I believe I bought it in about 1987.

car ran good with it though. Ran 11:20s in the quarter with a cast iron intake, AVS carb and 9 inch slicks.

It was a competition cams grind.
Based on my 30 year old handwriting.
I believe I bought it in about 1987.

car ran good with it though. Ran 11:20s in the quarter with a cast iron intake, AVS carb and 9 inch slicks.

0AC119D2-6858-468C-AD4A-D15450D62614.jpeg

My old duster was 2700 lbs without driver. 1.34 sixty foot. 11.001 quarter mile. Had more duration, I believe 346 and 356. Kim

Wow. Was the car mostly stock. Mine weighs right at 3400 lbs

11:01 is a strong number in a stock engine configuration

I did a valve drop test this weekend with the springs off and my clearance was .259 Exhaust and .189 Intake. Piston sits .005 in cylinder at TDC.

Clearance was checked with no head gasket and the gasket I intend to run is a Fel Pro .039 crushed thickness so add that to the clearances at TDC and a good cam grinder ought to be able to extrapolate those numbers into a recommendation versus what I am already have correct?

I did a valve drop test this weekend with the springs off and my clearance was .259 Exhaust and .189 Intake. Piston sits .005 in cylinder at TDC.

Clearance was checked with no head gasket and the gasket I intend to run is a Fel Pro .039 crushed thickness so add that to the clearances at TDC and a good cam grinder ought to be able to extrapolate those numbers into a recommendation versus what I am already have correct?

the comp cams master lobe catalog lists tappet lift @ TDC for all their lobes.
I'd imagine all cam grinders will be able to tell you that number.

That’s the opinion I was hoping to hear from folks that have stayed involved in automotive performance circles. I’ve been out of the loop so long I tend to overthink what can and can’t work. It’s still just a machine.
Like RRR said tune it and run it, make changes if you don't like how it runs...

That’s the plan for now. Had a hard enough time remembering how to degree in the cam! Thankful for the internet. Ha.
I’ve spent enough money on upgrades since they didn’t make much of this type of stuff in the 80s unless you were running Pro Stock! Need a little budget restraint. Hell, the car ran when I put it in the barn. My son and I have been having a blast with all these new goodies

That is a super stock cheater cam. Not very street friendly. EFI will not like it. Sweet car for sure. Kim
I think you are mistaken. That is a stock eliminator "cheater" cam (legal lift and duration, WAY more aggressive, unstable lobes). At the time that engine was built, super stock could run any cam they wanted.
I think the op would be much more happy with a cam change. Low budget: summit cam, a little more money, a hughes 904 grind.

I am not opposed to switching cam out at all and I recognize the benefits.
However, I spent about 4 years fighting this car and trying to get under the NHRA index with a cast iron intake and a Carter AVS carb on a car that shouldn’t have been built in first place because it was classed the same as a 6 pack Cuda. I just did it out of hard headedness to see if I could do it. 4 barrel 440 rated at 375hp compared to a 440 6 pack at 390 was just intellectually unrealistic. Didn’t have the budget or the knowledge then now now but now I don’t care. Ha.
Anyway, fast forward almost 30 years. Now I just want to have fun running it with my son.
BUT I do want to make some passes with an aluminum intake, mintubs and tires that actually hook the car and a reliable fuel supply on top end to see what it will run. After that, we will put anything on the cam that seems a better fit.
If it grenades it grenades. Been fixing broke down rusted **** for the last 20 years. Looking forward to doing something “Cool”
Just got out super sniper kit in the mail today. Excited for a new challenge.
Going to pull a 600cfm carb off and old Jeep for the break in of the newly re-ringed engine and cam followers and see where it takes us.

Guy around here ran a 69 440 dart in B/stock. Some people don't realize how hard it is to run the index. Ran this for years in Super stock I, 383 4spd.

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

P4130011.JPG

Any car guy with a brain should realize how hard it is to run the index, especially in stock eliminator.
A true, real stock six pack road runner might run low thirteens, with good tires, of the show room floor.
A "stock" eliminator car has to run what? high tens, on a low elevens index? Faster? With the rules about what can, and cant, be done, stock eliminator cars are AMAZING!

69 Dart 440 AVS C/SA,,,,,,,in far lane....Has run 10.30s at sea level.... Was over his house yesterday. working on a 72 Charger for Stock eliminator.

In near lane....daughter in 71 Duster

69 Dart 440 AVS C/SA,,,,,,,in far lane....Has run 10.30s at sea level.... Was over his house yesterday. working on a 72 Charger for Stock eliminator.

I know that car. He built it after NHRA allowed the Dart to move down a class. After the reclassified the car I toyed with the idea but kids and work took the priority. I am glad someone brought that combo to life! Fastest I ever got was 11:11. The transmissions in these things are where you can really make some time. Super cool and kudos to him!

Would that be Steve Wann? I remember people talking about him putting a car together at around the same time I was messing with it in late 80s?

-
Back