170 /6 idle problem

-

TLlew

Reaction score
The /6 in my 66 Valiant was running fine until a couple days ago when my fuel pump started squirting gas out of the side. So, I replaced the fuel pump and it ran good for maybe a couple minutes, but then started idling like crap and the only way to keep it running was to keep my foot on the gas or turn the idle screw all the way in, which barely got it iding fast enough to not stall. I adjusted the spring in the choke thermostat, which was really loose, but it didn't have any effect. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Thanks for any suggestions.

What kind of shape is the carb in? If it still idles bad after you've replaced the fuel filter then I'd recommend a carb rebuild if it hasn't had one already; I bet the needles and seats aren't working properly and the fuel pump is pushing gas into the engine.

Turns out I got bad gas after I replaced the fuel pump. I added octane booster and gas treatment and filled it up with good quality gas. After burning about a quarter tank it was running fine again.

It still wouldent be a bad idea to change that fuel filter.Who knows what the old pump pushed up stream.Sometimes a little pm goes a long ways.

-
Back