18 spline abody 4 speed UPDATE.numbers

-

65valiantcali

Reaction score
Ok i just picked up a 18 spline 4 speed complete. hurst shifter ,linkage not just the tranny .Its the 18 spline tranny with aluminum a body output shaft and tailshaft housing.. I would like to know who would be interested in it. Any info on this would be great ..thanks fabo members .:blob6: I will post pics of inside of case n gears asap..thx fabo members

Attachments

• CIMG1025.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 769
  • CIMG1026.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 860
  • CIMG1027.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 693
  • CIMG1028.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 744
  • CIMG1029.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 770
  • CIMG1030.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 689
WOW, is that the overdrive style ?

i havent had a chance to look at it yet.i had someone pick it up for me.Anyinfo on it from pics would help. i know its early style tranny from side cover but thats it really.i dont know if its od or not.:angel4:Anyone have info let me know. i know that some aluminum tail housings werent od housings. thx for reply.damraider!

the tail shafts interchange..... it's just a 18spline that some one built for an A body. Also it would not be an overdrive the tail shaft doesn't determine that, the input bearing retainer is your indicator.

You can put an OD gearset behind an 18 spline input????

To bad somebody cut the input shaft down. If it has iron syncros and straight cut gears inside its an original a body 18 spline Hemi trans. Ive had two of these over the years pretty rare units.

What were you looking to get for this?

I may be interested.

1st and 2nd shift lever is upside down, it needs to be "up". If it were an overdrive, then the 3/4 lever should be "down".

Russ.

1st and 2nd shift lever is upside down, it needs to be "up". If it were an overdrive, then the 3/4 lever should be "down".

The first secound is in the front and it is up , the third fouth is in the back and it is down .

No, the forward lever is 3/4, the next lever back is 1/2. Fourth gear is the input shaft, which sticks out the front of the transmission, unless it's an overdrive, then it's 3rd gear (final drive, 1-1 ratio).

Russ.

Russ, sorry man you are right , I knew I should have had my breakfast today LOL !! I Totally spaced on that one.....

Common mistake, no problem. Looking again at the picture, I think reverse lever is upside down also.

If that has the large shaft a-body mainshaft and extension housing, that's a good find all by itself being aluminum, unless it is an overdrive.

Russ.

To bad somebody cut the input shaft down. If it has iron syncros and straight cut gears inside its an original a body 18 spline Hemi trans. Ive had two of these over the years pretty rare units.

I was looking at that too(input shaft).There is another 18spline 4 speed abody on another forum post hereon fabo with pics and it has short input shaft too.So i was wondering why the cut down of it?or if its stock length. Also i have already looked up prices on replacement input shafts they are from 215$ to 400$. not to crazy$ regardless i didnt do it.:eek:ccasion:

If that has the large shaft a-body mainshaft and extension housing, that's a good find all by itself being aluminum, unless it is an overdrive. Please explain further kind sir? Do you mean input mainshaft?

If that has the large shaft a-body mainshaft and extension housing, that's a good find all by itself being aluminum, unless it is an overdrive. Please explain further kind sir? Do you mean input mainshaft?

Don't know what 'input mainshaft' means. I was talking about the output shaft (mainshaft). The input shaft is a seperate piece, known as a main drive gear.

Most of the overdrive a-body OD units I come across has the small spline output/small X-housing. Also, the four speed mainshaft is different than a OD mainshaft. I've got several small spline, a-body 4 speed output shafts here , the 30 spline 4 speed output a-body shafts are harder to find.

The A-833 OD units found in GM vehicles have a different input shaft for the GM, and the case bolt patern for the bell housing is different. All of the GM overdrive units I've seen have a cast iron case, but I'm not saying they didn't make them, I've just never seen one.

Russ.

Edit: What i was refering to in my last sentence was aluminum cases for the GM OD transmission. Sorry 'bout that!

yep, not a regular mopar input. all the A-body extension housing i've ever seen have the 307 bearing, even the 68 hemi A body's. long as you have a A-body extension and mainshaft you can swap it into a hemi box, even if its from a 23 spline. i don't know what the hell they were doing with the levers...

could be a hemi box somebody ran in a chevy.

you should pull the side cover and get a picture of the inside.

yep, not a regular mopar input. all the A-body extension housing i've ever seen have the 307 bearing, even the 68 hemi A body's. long as you have a A-body extension and mainshaft you can swap it into a hemi box, even if its from a 23 spline. i don't know what the hell they were doing with the levers...

could be a hemi box somebody ran in a chevy.

you should pull the side cover and get a picture of the inside.

Thats my next step i will try and get some more pics .Inside the case of the gears for all to see .Thx 68 hemi for your input. yes someone else mentioned the levers too .i saw another pic of an 18 spline abody tranny and the levers are both up .so i was wondering about that .thank you for your time.:hello1:

Ok here are some numbers fopr tranny. c99129 on right side of case.retainer 280118?9?2..stamp vertical on case 12-0...side cover c95864z maybe c95664z hard to tell. Hurst shifter number is 3917379..Took side cover off its not straight cut gears.gears all look perfect .i will upload some pics soon..thx fabo members for your time

-
Back