18" Wheels on a 66' Cuda - Advice

-

Jzaid84

Reaction score
Tried to search if anyone has done an 18" wheel setup on a first generation Barracuda and I couldn't find anything.

This is a virgin vehicle and all suspension is stock. Any advice and what will need to be done to achieve the wheel size I want? I am already searching out a 8 3/4 rear end with updated 4.5" bp; this should help wheel options from what I've read. Any advice on suspension work that needs to be done?

Thanks in advance!

Jzaid84,Check out the "Show That Lowered A-Body" thread in the Suspension, Chassis forum room. Some of those guys should be able to point you in the right direction or give you some ideas.

Someone is running 17 x 7 wheel with a 4" backspacing and 215/45/17 tire on the front of their early A. They've got a 245/45/17 on the back.

Jzaid 84 ,I am almost positive the most important thing is overall Diameter and B.S. of any wheel Tire combo. If you calculate from all of the '66 Barracudas here on Tire Specs. (cross section and total ROLLING Dia.and remember the cross section of the Tire can be WIDER than the Rim). The Rim Dia. should not be a problem. It is all part of the equation. Hope that helps. Tire Rack has a Spread Sheet with all of this info. Tim
:thumblef:

will this help??

Front

Wheel Brand Coys
Size 17x7
Backspacing 4.25
tire size 225/50/17
Suspension mods big bolt from 74 dart sport

Rear

Wheel Brand coys
Size 17x7
Backspacing 4.25
tire size 255/45/17
Suspension mod 8 1/4 rear, ss springs and poly bushings

DSC_0742.jpg

Thanks for the help fellas! Looking for wheel options now...

Anyone have an idea as to who makes a rear suspension kit for a 66 Barracuda?

18's aren't as critical on offset since they clear the tierod. 18x8 with 5-5.5 bs should be a homerun on the front.

My Daughter,s car is a '65 Barracuda. Today I just put 17 x 8's on the Rear with "0" offset (4" front / 4" rear) and did not take into account that an "8" Rim is "9" wide overall so my Rim has about 1/4" clearance from Inner fenderwell (outside edge) fully compressed. I went with a 245/40/17 and have about 1/16" clearance on the sidewall when compressed to where it might go during normal Driving. I should have gone with a narrower Tire. Learn from my mistake. Tim
:sad5:

doing the same with my car next spring, guess i will also have to move to the ghetto, due to ruining my classic car.

oh wait...I paid for my car, and dont remember anyone else offering to help with that, so i guess I can do what i want with it.
ps, cant wait to see how it looks when you get the wheels on.

Love this car. The paint is incredible. This car needs those new wheels. Beautiful my friend.

doing the same with my car next spring, guess i will also have to move to the ghetto, due to ruining my classic car.

oh wait...I paid for my car, and dont remember anyone else offering to help with that, so i guess I can do what i want with it.
ps, cant wait to see how it looks when you get the wheels on.

18" wheels wouldn't even get noticed in the hood. 26" might get you baller status.

18's aren't as critical on offset since they clear the tierod. 18x8 with 5-5.5 bs should be a homerun on the front.

My Daughter,s car is a '65 Barracuda. Today I just put 17 x 8's on the Rear with "0" offset (4" front / 4" rear) and did not take into account that an "8" Rim is "9" wide overall so my Rim has about 1/4" clearance from Inner fenderwell (outside edge) fully compressed. I went with a 245/40/17 and have about 1/16" clearance on the sidewall when compressed to where it might go during normal Driving. I should have gone with a narrower Tire. Learn from my mistake. Tim
:sad5:

Yup, 17x8" with 4" backspace isn't enough. Although I'm not an early A expert, I would suspect that 4.5" of backspace would be fine with an 8" rim and a 245 series tire.

Tim, how much room do you have to the springs? Have you rolled or cut the fender lip for clearance yet?

That's my next step 72bluNblu, to get the the stance we want ,I will have to "Message" the inner fenderwell the "Lip" and first part of the "Inner" fenderwell are fine, but it (inner fenderwell) starts to roll inward toward the car pretty quickly and will not allow enough wheel travel if the car were to be loaded for a "Road Trip". You know Food,Gas,People and a change of underwear. It has the potential of rubbing/cutting a Tire. I have about 1 1/2" to the springs. If it was just a "Cruiser" I would let it go ,but who knows Who or what that car can be loaded with when it comes to my Daughter and her friends. Thanks for the Input, suggestions welcome.
Thanks, Tim (Dad)
:banghead:

With an 1 1/2" to the springs, I'd go with a 4.75" backspace wheel if I could. Should leave plenty of room on both sides. But anything from 4.5" to 5" should work.

Already bought and mounted wheels so they are mine now.

Attachments

• cuda & Stuff 055.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 280
I will have to make them work,should not be too hard just a little set back. Offset I have is all they offered in 8 X 17.
cuda & stuff o41

-
Back