18" wheels

-
Hey all, new to the boards but been reading for a while now, I have a question. I am looking to do 18's on my 68 barracuda 340. current suspension mods are:
hellwig front and rear swaybars.
QA1 single adjustable shocks all 4 corners.
hotchkis leaf springs. dana 60 rear.
1/2 hanger offset kit
PST 1.03 torsion bars
front and rear disk conversion (was on the vehicle when i purchased it, not sure what ones it is, looks like 11.75" rotors.

currently im looking at these wheels Rambler - U111 - US MAGS
wanting to do an 18x8 front and 18x9.5 rear. Looking for suggestions on this combo, would like to do a 255 or 265 up front and 295 in rear.

car is currently in the air for EFI install (gas tank install today hopefully) once i drop it back down i will take measurements.

was just looking for advice before i get to that point. I see 72bluNblu seems to be a subject matter expert with these things. Hopefully he will chime in with some advice :)

thanks in advance All,

Kris

A 265 front tire would need a 9-10.5" rim
A 295 rear tire would need a 10-11.5" rim

thanks for the info, good to know!!! im not completely stuck on thoes tire sizes, 255 front and 275 rear would be just as happy with.
thanks for the reply! :)

A 255 front would need a 8.5-10" wide rim
A 275 rear would need a 9-11" wide rim

I say go was wide as you can, large rim diameters, low profile tires look anemic when they are skinny. Measure it up when you have it together. Or if you haven't changed sheet metal around 72BluNBlu can probably get you in the ballpark.

I mean obviously i wanna shove as much tire under there as possible...lol, and yeah i really want to stay clear of the anemic look. I plan on cutting and rolling the rear fender lip and will see what needs to be done on the front. unfortunately the wheels i like come in a max width of 9.5. so i may have to rethink my wheel choice.

Maybe you can get with the you from page 1 and figure out If 15 is too big or if 16's?
OOPS, must be a day to day thing. 14'' are too small, 15's are just right and 16's in a pinch. I don't like big rims with tiny rubber bands around them, makes for a rough ride and hard on rims too.

If you don't like larger wheels whyou even click on this thread..........
(i know this wasnt addressed to me, but i fall in the same category, so i'd like to take a shot at answering it)
i'd have to agree that anything over 15 looks like poo-poo
but it is still a mopar and i like those

sides, ive been proven wrong before so rather then going what i know looks good, why not keep and open mind and see what everyone else is up too ?

OOPS, must be a day to day thing. 14'' are too small, 15's are just right and 16's in a pinch. I don't like big rims with tiny rubber bands around them, makes for a rough ride and hard on rims too.

I really dislike it when people make comments like this, blanket statements with little or no evidence to back them up. When have you run 17 or 18" rims on an A-body or classic mopar? I have, and I've never replaced a rim because of damage. I drive my cars daily and in all weather conditions. Rough ride? My Challenger rides better now with 17" rims and Bilstien's than it did with 15's and KYB's. Same for my Duster with 18's and Hotchkis shocks, it rides better now than it did with 15's and whatever cheap, sorry excuse for shocks it had on it before. If you use the right parts you don't get a rough ride.

done right you dont have the rubber band effect, I completely understand, you dont like the look of large wheels, just leave it at that. if the ride was so harsh and was so rough on rims then modern cars would not come with anything above a 16". Its hard to find a new car that isnt a base model car that has anything smaller then a 17" these days, even more so with performance cars.

again, its about what you like, i have a set of 15"s i keep for the strip, but outside of drags, i want to be able to throw my car into a corner with confidence.

my only real beef with your post, was well, it was your second post in the thread saying the same thing. it was unnecessary imo. but maybe you're just old and forgetful ;).

Big wheels don't always have tiny rubber bands around them. i.e. 18" wheels on an a body with the typical 28" tire many run. That's a 5" profile. Stock 14" wheels on a dart have 5.4"profile and the 15's have less than that.

Next....

There are tastful ways to run plus sized wheels.

Sweet! Those 17 or 18?
Mine are 18 x 10' wheels. Running 275/35 18" front with 1/4" spacers, and 315/30 18" rear with 1.5" spacers in rear.

IMG_0680.JPG

Damn.. you stuffed some rubber under that!!

I'd love to see that rear dropped just far enough to eliminate that air gap over the tire.

Are those the same rims I'm using? my pictures are in post 10, 12,15? I got lucky with the rear ones as I'm running an E body axel that sticks out the couple inches on each side more than normal. On the front I used adapters at first. I got tired of taking the adapters off when I wanted to put my drag tires on so I finally hoged out the center of the front rims so they just fit on over the stock disk Brakes. I noticed it would be possible to have a set of rotors turn down around the centerpiece so they could fit inside the rim but then the rims would only fit those rotors. Like I probably may have said in my other post - I'm not a huge fan of 18's, but for the price it was hard to turn down, and now they're growing on me.
Mine are 18 x 10' wheels. Running 275/35 18" front with 1/4" spacers, and 315/30 18" rear with 1.5" spacers in rear.

View attachment 1715025117

Damn.. you stuffed some rubber under that!!

I'd love to see that rear dropped just far enough to eliminate that air gap over the tire.

Cool Volk Racing like wheels. I always thought wheels like that would look cool on old mopars.

-
Back