1938 Dodge pick up!

-
I haven't decided what to do with it yet, aside from getting it running so it's drivable.
I'm not much of a fabricator, unless I can find bolt-on parts.
Or buy a better welder, my little flux core wire feed has been handy, but out of it's league for fabrication work over 3/16".
I've got plenty of time though, I'm in no hurry. I even pondered throwing a slanty in it.
No definite plans yet. Get it running, get the body and interior done and....?
And move the beer fridge from the deck to the workshop.

Giles

I told uncle George about your truck. We chopped a coupe for him, and he had to get glass, and weatherstripping done. I'll ask him tommorrow who did those. Good luck. looks like fun Bud!

I'm slowly gathering some info and suppliers, interior, weather strip...
I have to say, I'll take all the help I can get with this one, it's uncharted territory for me.
I don't mind learning by making mistakes, I just don't want to make too many mistakes (would that mean I don't want to learn :read2:).

So far I found Kanter for brakes and suspension, and Robert Motor Parts for interior and trim, also Dodge City Truck Parts (Ont.).
But the more I can find the better off I'll be.

Giles

Hey, I am one of those guys! On the Journal, you will want to click on the H.A.M.B. (Hokey *** Message Board) and check out the classifieds.

lol they're aren't all so bad :-D

Anyway, can't wait for some bigger pics, lol.

Anyway, can't wait for some bigger pics, lol.

Go to the link provided. http://www.paymoreforenergy.ca/clicktobegin/?gclid=CMSxhMHx2aACFdFA2goduxw_Dw

Ok, what the hell. I'll do it.

Wylde1.

38-1.jpg

38-2.jpg

38-3.jpg

38-4.jpg

Bigger, not so flattering pics, lol, that'll keep'm quiet for a bit. Thanks Wylde1.
Better, newer pics coming in a couple weeks.

hey giles,

glad to see you finally got one! i have been keeping my eye out for one for ya as you know, but you found a quite the gem already! nice! i was just browsing kijiji this morning and i know its probably not in the plans right now, but there was a complete original 392 hemi for sale for 2.5k...she would be sweet with that...so many possibilities- hot rod black, smoothies or steelies with white/red walls, or slammed with bright paint and nice 5 spoke chrome wheels, stock resto, etc...whatever you do with her, she will be damn unique thats for sure! Definatly would be a sight to see at moparfest! (hint hint bring her there LOL)

really sweet wheels! hows the underneath looking. I think a 426 would do it just nice!
congtrates butternut!

The underneath is really solid no holes in the box, the cab floor under the seats no holes also, the front section of floor is wood from the factory.

The frame has already been blasted and primered, no holes there either.
The door bottoms are the only patched. The only thing that look like it needs attention underneath is the usual body mount and they are not rusted out either. The gas tank, I never looked at.

Unfortunately all the work that has been done to the body, will require re-doing, note the spray bomb primer, it is also on the frame.

hey giles,

glad to see you finally got one! i have been keeping my eye out for one for ya as you know, but you found a quite the gem already! nice! i was just browsing kijiji this morning and i know its probably not in the plans right now, but there was a complete original 392 hemi for sale for 2.5k...she would be sweet with that...so many possibilities- hot rod black, smoothies or steelies with white/red walls, or slammed with bright paint and nice 5 spoke chrome wheels, stock resto, etc...whatever you do with her, she will be damn unique thats for sure! Definatly would be a sight to see at moparfest! (hint hint bring her there LOL)

Throwing a Hemi in it sure tickles my fancy, but that would require a lot more time/money and fabrication. The frame would require boxing in, and or front clip... I have to research this thoroughly before I jump in it.

For now the plan is to just get it road worthy with it's original drivetrain and just enjoy driving it.

Moparfest ! You say, it's quite possible I'll be driving it there...the previous owner from the fellow I bought it from states that mechanically it should be good to go. Time will tell.

The first thing is to get the glass, then brakes, lights, rims/tires, suspension and steering to get it certified.

Giles

thats a great starter, thing looks to be in awsome shape. im doing a 36 ford pickup now with 10lug semi wheels and a cummins. keep a cummins in mind for a possible motor theyre different and you could tow whatever you want with it!

There's not much space between the frame rails and the hood/firewall to drop anything in it without somewhat major mods.
I just don't know how good this original drivetrain (3 speed) will perform, no idea of final drive ratio, lol, it might top out at 45MPH, which would be alright for puttin' around here.

If that's the case, I'll for sure look at other engine trans combo, that will require the least modification possible. Unless I can mount the body itself on a newer frame, like a Dakota, then I wouldn't be so reserved on chopping the Dakota frame.

ya i hear yeh, check out killbillet.com its a ratrod forum but a lot of guys use the newer chasis and do airbags. some real cool stuff on that site

Throwing a Hemi in it sure tickles my fancy, but that would require a lot more time/money and fabrication. The frame would require boxing in, and or front clip... I have to research this thoroughly before I jump in it.

For now the plan is to just get it road worthy with it's original drivetrain and just enjoy driving it.

Moparfest ! You say, it's quite possible I'll be driving it there...the previous owner from the fellow I bought it from states that mechanically it should be good to go. Time will tell.

The first thing is to get the glass, then brakes, lights, rims/tires, suspension and steering to get it certified.

Giles

well either way its a cool project! should be fun even as is with the current motor for a cruiser. Hopefully we will see her at moparfest! keep us all updated on her, as you can already see there is a ton of interest lol

Small blocks should fit without too much trouble. I've seen a '37 with an early hemi in it, so I know it can be done, but it would definitely require a lot of fab work. A small block shouldn't be bad, the nice thing about the old trucks is that the frame rails make it pretty easy to add engine mounts.

A Dakota frame would itself need a lot of modification to even fit the body, the Dakota frames go well under '50's era trucks, they would be too wide and too long for a '38. You could do a Mustang II front crossmember, I've seen them made for this application.

I'll be keeping the straight axle in mine though, there's a few kits available to convert the stock front end over to disk brakes.

Nice looking truck though, looks pretty solid in the pictures. :-D

-
Back