1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
very nice man! That thing is clean!!!!

Just about finished sanding. NO BONDO in the car. As best I can tell aside from door dings it just like it was screwed together 48 years ago. Gona be nice, This has to be the most solid car I ever bought. Had a Fort Sill Bumper sticker from the 70's so it was in OK in addition to Texas. Thanks for all the great comments, they are keeping me motivated!

Thanks for all the input! I like the gasser idea, but it's too nice. The plan now is resto it and run a Hyper Pac 170 and make an NHRA Stock Class Car. Here are some more pictures of where it is going. This is what the underside looked like. Last picture is underside painted and ready to install the rear.

Seriously...how did you get it so clean? What did you use or do?

~ Big Lancer Fan!

Seriously...how did you get it so clean? What did you use or do?

~ Big Lancer Fan!
My painter likes to build the paint back from scratch so I DA sand the bodies with 80-320 paper and go back to the base metal. Like I said this is 48 year old paint so it has come off fairly easy. The problem is with a car with so much "personality" the nooks and edges are hard to get done, and I am doing those by hand. I will remove the front windshield tomorrow and I will be 90 percent done. Looks like next week to the body shop.

Moving to body shop has been delayed due to the painters schedule. That will let me do some small stuff to the interior parts and the front suspension. Here a picture of the interior as it is now. I have removed the door handles and the windshield getting ready for paint.

IMG_4007_320x240.JPG

These are the rims I am going to run, IF, I can find some Lug Nuts! Need 7/16 RH and LH Shank type lugs. Anyone?

Check AutoZone/Advance. My local AZ can get them because I was asked RH or LH when I bought for the same rims.

Here are some more pictures of my engine parts. The intake, Carb, NOS Rods, and a set of 12.5 Venolia Pistons.

IMG_4004_320x240.JPG

IMG_4006_320x240.JPG

IMG_4005_320x240.JPG

IMG_4001_320x240.JPG

IMG_4002_320x240.JPG

IMG_3997_320x240.JPG

IMG_3998_320x240.JPG

IMG_3999_320x240.JPG

IMG_4000_320x240.JPG

Check AutoZone/Advance. My local AZ can get them because I was asked RH or LH when I bought for the same rims.

Thanks! I think I have them covered. There is a guy in CA, LUG NUT KING. The guy is UNBELIVABLE! When I get them I will post the story.

Looks like you've acquired a set of those cast iron headers used with the Hyperpack - I understand they are quire rare! Looking forward to seeing more of your wagon project.

Looks like you've acquired a set of those cast iron headers used with the Hyperpack - I understand they are quire rare! Looking forward to seeing more of your wagon project.

When I was a kid, 15 years old, now I am 55, I bought a 62 Valiant from my next door mentor. It had a 61 Lancer front end and trunk lid. I rebuilt the engine and made a few mistakes. We fixed them and he wanted to know if I wanted to make the slant run a "little" better. $110 dollars later I had the intake and exhaust manifolds. The rear manifold had been modified to run in a 32 Stude at Langley VA. I think he was runner up in the state championship one year in the '60's. I have the stuff every since. I have had the intake in the 62 Valiant, a 66 Dart, a 64 Barracuda and the last was my 67 Barracuda. I have been collecting parts to make a run at the NHRA Stock Class. We will see.

Thanks to everyone for trying to find lug nuts for my Fenton Gyro Mags. I found a gentleman in California, LUG NUT KING, Raul Gonzalez, www.lugnutking.com. 909 376-8011. He had new lug nuts with new washers and the whole set cost me $25 bucks DELIVERED! 10 RH and 10 LH 7/16 20. NEW! And he sent the order to me with the INVOICE! Tell me the last time a business sent you parts and billed you to pay them. That my friend is old school and I appreciate it! I will recommend Lug Nut King to everyone I know!
Now here is the flip side of that. There is a company in washington state, I won't say the company (AKH wheels). I called him and told him I had a Dodge Lancer, 1962 and I needed Lug Nuts. I told him I needed 7/16 LH and RH. He said no problem I will send you a paypal request. So I get a request for $132 Bucks. So I call and he says well these are new and you get stainless washers and shipping to your door and I gave you a discount. So dummy me, I pay figuring I won't find any anywhere and I don't want to recycle my aluminum wheels. So anyway they show up. And guess what? They are 1/2 20 and the stainless washers? They come out of the box RUSTY! Excuse me, stainless don't rust. So I call and "you didn't tell me you needed 7/16!" Dude, you didn't listen. And the rusty washers? Just send them back for a refund. Never a sorry, no excuse for rusty washers.
So now you have learned what I have. LUG NUT KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is the front wheel mounted to check the lugs. Sorry for all the other stuff not cleaned, wanted to check the wheel and lugs. Last picture is what a $132 dollars worth of lugs look like! OUCH!!!!!

IMG_4028_640x480.jpg

IMG_4029_640x480.jpg

IMG_4030_640x480.jpg

IMG_3969_640x480.JPG

that rust is called patina,,,,and you have t opay for that lol the shinny stuff looks great

Waiting on the painter has allowed me to do a little more frame cleaning and painting. Here is the front end and the fender back side. Hope to move to the paint shop this week end! Found 10 Fenton Lug Nuts with washers new in the bags from Dale Wilch. These are only the right hand, but hey, maybe the left hands will show up if I keep looking! Now I need some center caps so if you have a picture of what a Fenton Gyro cap or wheel assembly looks like, I would appreciate seeing it! I am changing over to 67 drums and control arms after it comes back from the body shop.

IMG_4031_640x480.jpg

IMG_4032_640x480.jpg

Cool project, solid car.
Did you happen to buy it from a guy by the name of Dickens. North of Dallas TX out in the country..........if so I know that car, saw it sitting with the rest of his collection.

Cool project, solid car.
Did you happen to buy it from a guy by the name of Dickens. North of Dallas TX out in the country..........if so I know that car, saw it sitting with the rest of his collection.

It did come from Texas. Don't know any of the history although the Guy I got it from said he got it from someone who he had bought several cars from. I got it from Trucks and Toys in Lindale Tx. Any info on it's history would be cool! I thought it was real strange that a car this clean would be missing seats, gas tank, etc. Looks like someone was going with a street rodded theme, not stock. Finding seats and the gas tank has been a real effort! Thanks

I could swear the wagon he had was missing the seats..........next time I see him I will ask him some questions and see if I can figure out if your car is the one he had.

I could swear the wagon he had was missing the seats..........next time I see him I will ask him some questions and see if I can figure out if your car is the one he had.
The first pictures I got from the said "Daltons". I thought that was funny, but figured it meant something to the seller. Thanks for asking your friend. I sure would like to know the deal.

When I read the early design info on the slant, they started with the 170 and that was the basis for the engineering. All the design was around the little engine. When they enlarged to the 225, they had a ton of problems and one engineer said it was a P.O.S.

Geeze Louise…it is amazing how distorted and garbled a story gets when it's retold and misunderstood enough times. Just like that kids' schoolroom game of "Operator" -- you remember, the one where the teacher whispers a sentence to one kid, who whispers it to his neighbor, who whispers it to his neighbor, all round the circle until the last kid speaks it out loud and everyone laughs and laughs at how different it is from the original message.

Fact is, the 170 and the 225 were both engineered at the same time. One didn't come before the other, and they did not have "a ton of problems" with the 225. Port sizes were completely fine, and still are. Valve sizes were ample for the stock 170 and a little on the small side for high RPMs with the 225, but since the 225 was configured as a low-RPM torquer, this was not considered a problem. Bill Weertman was Chrysler's Managing Engineer - Engine Design from '55 to '62, Assistant Chief Engineer - Engine Design and Development from '62 to '76, and Chief Engineer - Engine Engineering from '76 to '87; if you're interested in the actual facts behind just about every aspect of the Slant-6 engine's initial and ongoing development, you should read his 3-volume work, "A History of Chrysler Corporation's Slant-Six Engine". It is probably still available from Chrysler Historical. There's also a great deal of information in the Slant-6 chapter of his Big Dåmn Book of Chrysler Engines (which if it's not on yer bookshelf or your Xmas list, should be).

Ok, I am not EXPERT. However I am not in kindergarden.
Here is the link, http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/hagenbuch-interview.html

Here are selected lines:
"Now the beloved slant-6 was designed first as a 170, but they knew all the time that it was going to be raised an inch and become the 225. But it was well into the 170 development program before we even saw a 225. Boy, that thing was a disaster! For an engine with a reputation like it now has, that thing was a pig to start with. Everything was wrong with it, things I can’t even remember. The parts were all made for the 170 with the exception of the block, crankshaft and connecting rods. All of them require modifications, a lot of which found their way into the 170 as well. It just proves you can’t build two engines that much different in displacement with the same identical parts and pieces; it doesn’t work out that way."

"What was the end solution? Was it to make it….
Oh, there were changes to everything. The crankshaft had torsional vibration problems which were rectified; I wasn’t close to that phase of the program, being plenty busy with piston rings and oil economy.
Why wouldn’t that happen on the 170?
Because the crank shaft has a whole lot more overlap, like a half an inch because it had an inch shorter stroke. The 170 is the nearest thing I have ever owned to an unbreakable engine."

OK????????????????
This is what I was referring to. So go and unload on AllPar and Pete Hagenbusch.

Ok, I am not EXPERT. However I am not in kindergarden.
Here is the link, http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/hagenbuch-interview.html

Here are selected lines:
"Now the beloved slant-6 was designed first as a 170, but they knew all the time that it was going to be raised an inch and become the 225. But it was well into the 170 development program before we even saw a 225. Boy, that thing was a disaster! For an engine with a reputation like it now has, that thing was a pig to start with. Everything was wrong with it, things I can’t even remember. The parts were all made for the 170 with the exception of the block, crankshaft and connecting rods. All of them require modifications, a lot of which found their way into the 170 as well. It just proves you can’t build two engines that much different in displacement with the same identical parts and pieces; it doesn’t work out that way."

"What was the end solution? Was it to make it….
Oh, there were changes to everything. The crankshaft had torsional vibration problems which were rectified; I wasn’t close to that phase of the program, being plenty busy with piston rings and oil economy.
Why wouldn’t that happen on the 170?
Because the crank shaft has a whole lot more overlap, like a half an inch because it had an inch shorter stroke. The 170 is the nearest thing I have ever owned to an unbreakable engine."

OK????????????????
This is what I was referring to. So go and unload on AllPar and Pete Hagenbusch.

Chirp..............Chirp.............Chirp

I sold the 61 yesterday and it is on it's way to minnesota. It was just a little too rough for me to fix it and since there are so few new parts I would have to cut up a good Lancer to fix this one. Frank will have use for all the good stuff and it will live inside another Lancer. Here are a couple of pictures of it on the trailer and the other 62 he picked up NY.

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

I'm glad you only own 1 non A body now! The lancer is looking GREAT (for what it is). No doubt your "hyper drive" will be as sweet. I want a ride when you get her done!

-
Back