1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
My neighbor had one years ago with a 3 speed in the floor. Always loved them. His was a 2 door.Some one bought it after he died and I say it in town with a new paint job. Looked great. Good luck!!!!!! with a very nice car.

My neighbor had one years ago with a 3 speed in the floor. Always loved them. His was a 2 door.Some one bought it after he died and I saw it in town with a new paint job. Looked great. Good luck!!!!!! with a very nice car.

Sorry for the double post. Having connection problems.

that's cool. I'm just starting a 1962 lancer GT. I'll keep track of your progress. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post soon.

Here are some of the goodies I am using in the engine build. I will post some body work pictures soon as I get ready for paint! Here is the offset aircleaner, exhaust manifolds, Gotha Rocker Arms (OLD!), and my big valve head. The head is shaved 90, 181 Intake Valves, 150 Exhaust and a pretty agressive port job and chamber match. Not legal for the Stock Class but it should help me get the combination started. I can always slow down!

IMG_3977_640x480.JPG

IMG_3978_640x480.JPG

IMG_3979_640x480.JPG

IMG_3981_640x480.jpg

IMG_3985_640x480.jpg

Cool go fast goodies! Any idea what your wagon weighs?
Haven't had it on the scale but the NHRA says it shall weigh 2759. Not sure if that is with driver or not. 2 door weight they say is 2594, so I have an extra 165 lbs according to the NHRA.

HemiEd
When I read the early design info on the slant, they started with the 170 and that was the basis for the engineering. All the design was around the little engine. When they enlarged to the 225, they had a ton of problems and one engineer said it was a P.O.S. Now we know that is not true, but it got me thinking about port sizes and stuff. The Hyper Pac was run using the smaller engine and I have been told it will zing to 7 or 8K with very few problems. The weight break is better with the little engine and I just want to try making it work. I have a lot of time running the 225 with the Hyper Pac and none with the 170 so it will be a learning experience. Plus I know the 170 will allow me to run an air cleaner under the hood without trimming. Not sure about the 225.
That is a very informative post, thank you! My memory is just not what it used to be, but I had one of those aluminum block slant 6s, and put it in my daughters car for a while. Kept it in there until she blew the second head gasket pretty quickly.

I always thought it was a 225, am I correct?

It had a real design flaw, in that the cylinders were not tied to the block wall all the way up. They were just like upright sleeves, attached at the bottom, or very near the bottom.

We are talking twenty years ago, so some of the details are sketchy.

It had a very sophisticated and expensive head gasket, I assume trying to keep the cylinders sealed to the head, since they were prone to move around.

Haven't had it on the scale but the NHRA says it shall weigh 2759. Not sure if that is with driver or not. 2 door weight they say is 2594, so I have an extra 165 lbs according to the NHRA.

Just caught up with the rest of the thread. You are doing a great job, and it looks fantastic!

Just caught up with the rest of the thread. You are doing a great job, and it looks fantastic!

Yes all the production blocks were 225, they could have made a few prototype 170 aluminums but I don't think any ever made it out to the public. The block is open on the top and the head gasket is complex to seal the top. The other problem is anti freeze, if you don't protect the insides it will get leaks in the casting. I have an aluminum slant on a stand that I just use for bench racing!

Thanks for your comments HemiEd!

I have to say, those seats are beautiful!

Thanks! They weren't cheap but they look better in person than the pictures. I can't wait to put the back seat down, throw in a surfboard, an American Graffiti 8 Track and CRUZ!

Here is what I got done this weekend. Should go to the paint shop next weekend! (I HOPE!)

IMG_3992_640x480.jpg

IMG_3993_640x480.jpg

IMG_3994_640x480.jpg

IMG_3995_640x480.jpg

These are the rims I am going to run, IF, I can find some Lug Nuts! Need 7/16 RH and LH Shank type lugs. Anyone?

IMG_3984_640x480.jpg

These are the rims I am going to run, IF, I can find some Lug Nuts! Need 7/16 RH and LH Shank type lugs. Anyone?

Mine were ordered from my local tire store for small bolt Keystones on a '62 Lancer.
Cragar still sells them too..... I think

-
Back