1962 s series 6.1 hemi

-
that's looking great! I noticed you have cut out the original firewall before plating it, in the ACT, (Australian Capital Territory) for those in the US, we have to leave the original in place and plate over the top. Rego here have some odd ideas! Sub frame connectors are another problem, here that is a chassis and then requires the car to be registered as an individually constructed vehicle.
Have you thought about installing torque boxes while you're at it? Everything I've read out of the states make them sound like a good idea, try the link below. I found him great to deal with.

www.sheetmetalstuff.com

good luck, Marty

good stuff marty:toothy8:

The current issue of Hot Rod magazine has an article on an awesome pro-built 62 Valiant. (might have something on their web site, I dunno) 100% Mopar except coil-over front suspension, 4 link, etc. 6.1 Hemi.
It's the most over the top Frog I've ever seen.

The current issue of Hot Rod magazine has an article on an awesome pro-built 62 Valiant. (might have something on their web site, I dunno) 100% Mopar except coil-over front suspension, 4 link, etc. 6.1 Hemi.
It's the most over the top Frog I've ever seen.

What's on the cover of that mag? I've just looked at the current Hot Rod mag here in Australia but it's not the one, maybe next month for us!

What's on the cover of that mag? I've just looked at the current Hot Rod mag here in Australia but it's not the one, maybe next month for us!

Hot Rod varies the covers of their mag depending on whether it's a subscriber or news stand edition. But, it's the November, 2011 issue. As someone said, it's full of Dukes and Smokey and the Bandit stuff. I did not see the car on their web site.
I might be able to send it to you. IIRC, it's 3 pages.

marty,

thanks for the reply. was looking at boxing in the rear spring hangers and will be running two decent frames for trans loop and floor support between chassis connectors so should be very solid. I have all mods signed off on by engineer so all good there. I was wondering why you plated over the top of the origonal firewall, mine had rust just starting where the three sections of metal met.

here is last weekends effort.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/img0036kz.jpg/

Hi Henry,

The only way to legally do a flat fire wall in the ACT is to leave the original in place and go over the top! Strange I know but that's our RTA, all left to right conversions are done this way here as well. Not sure if I can use sub frame connectors as RTA here makes them a chassis and the car becomes an individually constracted vehicle with far more involvement to registar. Love your trans mount sub frame, I'm about to start mine soon as I now have my engine and trans. I'm using an Alloy Hemi V6 and O/D 4 speed auto from a 2010 Commodore with less than 10,000 Km (6,ooo miles) on it, not as much power as you but small, light and revy. Should be fun enough at 300hp and 30+ mpg!
What trans tunnel are you using, mines the matching one to the running gear.

Been slack in the last few months so progress slow. Have the chassis cross members done and ready for floor, engine mounts tacked in and a bit of mock up done for the ac and new steering. Few picks attached.

Cheers

lookin' good henry, i've got to get back on mine with some updates. thats some great stuff

what are your plans for steering?

Awesome job...

I wonder if the Elko rack could be configured to work with US a bodies?

yes i spoke to them you can send them your k frame and they will do the conversion. then they said to use the gto steering rack

Great thanks. I really don't want to send the rack to Australia but a GTO rack would be really easy to find here in the states.

Hmmmm...

Thanks again.

Well got the day off so got a bit done. TIG'd up doubler plate for rear spring and fitted spring box. Fitted floor cross brace and put in a relief for the fuel lines. Braced up the upper control arms and fixed up some factory cocky @#$%. Made up plates for the lower control arms. Off to get sheet floor in a couple of weeks.

Looking good Henry,
like the spring mounts! Shame I can't do the same in the ACT. Any work at all to the frame rails and the car can't be registered!

Marty

Thanks guys. Enjoying the process at the moment. Marty, the engineer I have has been great. He came out, I showed him some sketches, he made changes which were warranted and then I went ahead. I think it is a good process as he is fully understanding of what I am trying to achieve and as am of his requirements as he will be putting his name on the piece of paper. Sounds like the act are very backwards in regards to this. I think if a well engineered car aligning to the overall standards and signed off by competant engineer is completed there should not be any issues. I believe the issues are people doing basic bolt on modifications who are not aware of the implications of some of their actions. Sorry for the rant! Just gets me dark all this issues around car modification regulations.

-
Back