1963 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible for the Wife

-
One more day of work then 2.5 weeks off for the holidays! I MUST get the main body sheet metal and epoxy primer FINISHED over the break.....

First day of the 2 week holiday vacation was beautiful in Southern Arizona. The body and front fenders are blasted....

DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSC_0075.jpg
DSC_0076.jpg

Time for some hammer and dolly work, floor board patches, cleaning, epoxy primer then time to weld in the rear quarter patches....

DSC_0077.jpg

Took time to convince myself it needed this but yea it needed it....

DSC_0078.jpg

Making a template out of 6 mil plastic

DSC_0079.jpg

Nobody make exact replicas so I wanted to line up as much as possible.

DSC_0080.jpg

Template on the new panel.

DSC_0081.jpg

Just some slot so you can get the magic marker in to mark it.

DSC_0082.jpg

Time to connect the dots...

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

The flanger is about 1/2" deep so need to add 1/2" around the perimeter.

DSC_0085.jpg

Marked and ready to cut... Measure measure measure to make sure.!!!!

DSC_0086.jpg

Cut out, looks good..

DSC_0087.jpg

Flanged and spot weld holes punched with the $38 Harbor Freight tool.... works good....

DSC_0088.jpg

Mark where the frame spot welds need to be...

DSC_0089.jpg

Clean it up a bit. Need to blast it tomorrow and epoxy prime it.

DSC_0090.jpg

All shaped and ready to go...

DSC_0091.jpg

Now the rear floorboard. Pain in the a$$ place....

DSC_0092.jpg

Well look here the left overs are PERFECT...

DSC_0093.jpg

A little hammering and persuading and it fits.

DSC_0094.jpg

Flanged and spot weld holes punched.

DSC_0095.jpg
Finish welding in the other panel (butt not lap, almost ripped it out but it really is almost done) tomorrow and blast the patch areas. With luck I can spray epoxy tomorrow..... not holding me breath there still is a lot of work.

Well I could not stand the hack job I did on the rear floor. Also the seatbelt anchor metal was pitted and weak. Safety first... I ordered the other front floor patch specifically for this so I just did it. I also spent most of the day welding and grinding the 1000 screw holes the last "restoration" put in the floor when they hammered in galvanized everywhere on the floor and screwed it down with self taping screws...
upload_2019-12-22_14-47-43.gif

Any luck I will be painting the floor boards with SPI epoxy primer (i.e. weld through primer)
upload_2019-12-22_14-47-43.gif
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0102.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg
tomorrow so I can get the patches welded in.

I'll be out that way today and get some pictures for you. Btw i purchased a wrecked 64 convertible for parts. Seemed like the cheaper way to acquire spare parts. I think that one is decent also.

Oh man a guy I know has told me to come over to do any metal work I wanted to for some time (he is an old car guy too) after seeing the Coronet and Duster.... I finally texted him to take him up on his offer.... WOW I now have a new best buddy!

What I saw when I walked in!

image2.jpeg

Showing me how to use the tools

image4.jpeg

Final Product...

image0.jpeg

His Toronado...

image3.jpg

What a crappy day in the desert..... About 2 inches this morning...

DSC_0096.jpg

So I stayed indoors and get some of the parts ready for bead blasting and painting. The parts arrived from ASP in Florida (they have a "NO CHINA" gif and I have had great luck with their rebuild kits)

Pulling the pulley on the alternator.

DSC_0097.jpg

Ah the old round back one wire and press it diodes! Love it!

DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg

Stripped and ready to blast. I will take it to my machine shop to press in the new diodes, change the front bearing and press the pulley back on. Use sockets to back up the diodes and bearings when you are taping them out of the housing. I needed some heat on the front bearing to get it to come out of the aluminum housing.

DSC_0101.jpg

Next strip down the starter..

DSC_0102.jpg

Good a newer style with the screw. My Coronet had the original that was a soldered here, what a pain..

DSC_0103.jpg

Stripped down and the ASP parts matched for the rebuild. Bead blasting tomorrow.

DSC_0104.jpg

Wiper motor. Boy that cloth insulation is just falling apart, this needs to come all apart and cleaned up...

DSC_0105.jpg

The temperatures are still too cold to risk having the epoxy primer failing on such a large area so the body stayed in the garage. We just scooped up everything left on the shelf to restore and I got a pile if parts ready that needed to be painted black SPI epoxy primer.

Never done just a heater box before.. man they are simpler than AC boxes!

DSC_0096.jpg

A few things to repair on this box as the vent door was ripped off (it was still with the car though)

DSC_0097.jpg

Little work to do here too...

DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg

Missing one standoff......

DSC_0101.jpg

Nice of them to tape the partial pice of seal back on...

DSC_0102.jpg

Rusty door!

DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg

Texted Bob at GlenRay and this is an aftermarket core but he can restore it...

DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg

Random part, the parking brake, making sure I can remember how to put the palls and springs back in..

DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0110.jpg

Blower motor restore... bead blasted the shaft before trying to remove the cage and it slipped right off.... nice to see a metal cage!

DSC_0111.jpg

Pulled the end cap and lots of carbon but plenty of brush left. Restore it...

DSC_0112.jpg

Getting the laminations out of the back half took 2 hours but the wife was bead blasting and got a lot done ...

DSC_0113.jpg
DSC_0114.jpg

I replace the wires in these as they are always rock hard and splitting due to the engine compartment heat....

DSC_0115.jpg

We got all the parts bead blasted and I got them shot with SPI black epoxy..... Need to keep them above 65F for 24 hours so they get to stay in the house tonight...

Blower motor housing...

DSC_0116.jpg

Air cleaner...

DSC_0117.jpg

Heater Box parts.

DSC_0118.jpg

Wiper motor and starter frame with alternator pulley and wiper mechanism.

DSC_0119.jpg

Heater box ready for repair as well as the doors..

DSC_0120.jpg

Starter motor parts all clean..

DSC_0121.jpg

Alternator parts all clean

DSC_0122.jpg

Wiper Motor parts all clean...

DSC_0123.jpg

Epoxy is dry so lets pick something to reassemble.... Wiper motor sound good...

The cloth shields are falling apart. Put some modern heat shrink tubing on them to make sure they don't short out...

DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0097.jpg

Cut the groves back in the slip ring with a razor saw...

DSC_0098.jpg

Polished up ready to go...

DSC_0099.jpg

Brushes are only 1/2 wore out more than a life time worth for a car that will never see the rain again :)

Install the end cap with the brushes..

DSC_0100.jpg

Now install on the housing making sure that they will not contact the armature as they travel up past the magnets.

DSC_0101.jpg

A little larger tubing to hold them together and out of the way of the armature..

DSC_0102.jpg

Working them through the gear housing and alining the bolt before pulling it tighter..

DSC_0103.jpg

Marking the color of the wires since they are all black now...

DSC_0104.jpg

Wave washer on the outside and the brass washer on the in side. The gear washer only will fit one way in the gear, don't force it...

DSC_0105.jpg

Ready for the gear...

DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg

Clean and lube (with plastic compatible lube) the park cams. When you rotate the middle cam it should open and close the contacts...

DSC_0108.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg

The gasket was shot so a thin coating of sealer to keep the grease in

DSC_0110.jpg

All done...

DSC_0111.jpg

I will solder the wires once I get the dash electrical tested out and see that it works!

DSC_0112.jpg

On to the next...

DSC_0113.jpg

Started on the..... starter.....

Razor saw to remove the mica between the pole pieces.

DSC_0114.jpg

Polished up and ready to go.

DSC_0115.jpg

Learned this on the Duster, MEASURE the old bushing and the new ones in the kit they are different. If it is larger than the original do a bit of sanding to get the diameter to within 0.0015 of the original or you will regret it. If they go in to tight they collapse the ID and then the shafts bind. Too loose and they may spin in the housing...

DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0117.jpg

Perfect. I only replace the ones that are loose on the shaft...

DSC_0118.jpg

In goes the fork for the drive..

DSC_0119.jpg

AND I QUIT..... I have done 3 starters without a quality pair of snap ring pliers for that #$%J&%$%^&%#@%^ output shaft snap ring... I am done till I go to town and buy a quality set of pliers...

So I reassembled the parking brake...

DSC_0120.jpg

Is this factory for early A-Bodies? Does any one reproduce these? @63DropTop is this correct and does your parts car have one in better shape?

DSC_0121.jpg

Blower motor time. It is getting new wiring as under the hood it is hard as a rock and cracked ..

DSC_0122.jpg

New ground close to the crimp to the coils.

DSC_0123.jpg

Last edited:
Next the green wire and through the original rubber grommet, can't believe it is still pliable and not cracked...

DSC_0124.jpg

File the stacked plates so that the motor slides into the housing easily, no hammering acceptable..

DSC_0125.jpg

Lube the shaft and in goes the armature...

DSC_0126.jpg

Brush older on next..

DSC_0127.jpg

Now the clips that hold the holder get tapped into the side. If doing it again these should be tapped out before trying to get the laminated core out....

DSC_0128.jpg

Getting close..

DSC_0129.jpg

New gasket from the DMT heater box kit.

DSC_0130.jpg

Frame installed..

DSC_0131.jpg

New Packard 56 male...

DSC_0132.jpg
DSC_0133.jpg

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL day in Southern Arizona today... but yesterday went to town and stopped by the machine shop to have the alternator parts pressed in... ready to assemble on the next nasty day where I don't want to go outside.

DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg
DSC_0116.jpg

Today attacked the sheet metal... Here is the HACK of a fix for a fender bender.. These holes where PUNCHED with a PUNCH not even drilled!

DSC_0117.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg

Started to work it with a dolly but the metal was just too stretched so I used a straight edge to find where the bubble was... see it.... drew a line were it was..

DSC_0120.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg

I then cut the line with the cut off wheel and welded it back closed and it really pulled the metal back to the point where I struggled to get it stretched back out! Also welded the holes shut...

DSC_0122.jpg

It looks ugly but trust me it only needs minimal filler.. When I stripped it the filler was 1/2" deep in places and the shape was total wrong... It should match the other side and the largest gap on the straight edge is now less than 1/8"..

DSC_0123.jpg

This body line should be as flat as a board from the door edge to the wheel wheel and now it is much closer...

DSC_0124.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg

Mama says the moulding had to go so they are gone... welded shut...

DSC_0126.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0129.jpg

Time to fix a few dings with the puller...

DSC_0130.jpg
DSC_0131.jpg
DSC_0132.jpg

Hammered out another nasty crease....

DSC_0133.jpg

-
Back