1963 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible for the Wife

-
I went into a universal y pipe like you. I used a TTI Mandrel bent tail pipe and a Flowmaster Delta Flow muffler and it sounds great

A little classic Carter M2996S fuel pump action and a Now and Then CK-123 kit. Have a couple more I can restore someday. Follow the directions.. Interesting side notes about the Umbrella pins on the check valves that Carter would go after them if they reproduced them so they created their own pins and springs... Make sure you have the pump fully compressed before you tighten the screws or the rubber will stretch and fatigue when the cam shaft is compressing it..... Looks like 1963 all over again.

DSC_0075.jpg
DSC_0076.jpg
DSC_0077.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0079.jpg
DSC_0080.jpg
DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg
DSC_0084.jpg

The price was too good to pass up. NOS.... do I use it to replace the spin on filter complete the vintage look or make a lamp out of it?

DSC_0110.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I can see the finish line.... Just need to weld in the O2 sensor bungs and I will be sand blasting the pipes tomorrow... Built a lot of shields and mocked in the 2.25 Accurate Exhaust head pipe to see what sort of clearance it had... I am in good shape. I will put some header wrap between the starter and the shield where you can't see it. Don't forget to remove the washers from the plugs if you have the old ones with the removable head cups....

DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0112.jpg
DSC_0113.jpg
DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg
DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0117.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0120.jpg

An early A-Body buddy in Maricopa Az sent me a distributor shield that needed just a little repair. Time to blast and paint it and its ready to install... I can't believe I miss counted how many Aeromotive PTFE fuel line ends I needed.... another Jegs order going out tomorrow.....

DSC_0121.jpg
DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0123.jpg
DSC_0124.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg
DSC_0126.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0129.jpg
DSC_0130.jpg

Last edited:
With the starter shield bolted to the exhaust, will it transfer heat to the starter?

Very clean work, Jim! What did you do for the bypass hose?

With the starter shield bolted to the exhaust, will it transfer heat to the starter?

I am ordering ceramic spacer to hold them apart at the screws. Plus there is very little energy that can get through the sheet metal on edge. Think of it like a restriction on a hose. You can't get much through it. I am going to paint it all with thermal barrier coating tomorrow too. The thermal PhD's at work told me to bolt the shield to the exhaust and not the starter.

Last edited:
I think it will be fine as it is, great job and thanks for all the good pictures.

Cheers Wolfgang

What do you get when you have 2 bung holes and 2 bung hole plugs? Completed dual carb /6 exhaust pipes. Now I can run an O2 sensor in each to adjust each carb independently. I also bought some thermal coating that was not cheap but no where near the cost of ceramic coating. I will see how this holds up.... Coated the inside of the Durtras as well. Went with the bronze so give it some clash with the dark turquoise.... Time for finally assembly next weekend!

DSC_0136.jpg
DSC_0137.jpg
DSC_0138.jpg
DSC_0139.jpg
DSC_0140.jpg
DSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0142.jpg
DSC_0143.jpg
DSC_0144.jpg

Time to do it for the money.... new AMK bolts all around torqued and done.... Double wire clamps that I use on all my cars installed on the bypass and heater hoses. Manifold studs installed with teflon sealer. Need to grid down the mystery tab to allow the Dutras to be installed with all the studs installed. Took a while to find all the original manifold hardware but I finally did, using Aussiespeed batwings for the Dutras. The manifolds will be installed in the morning.... This could be ready to put in the car by Sunday!

DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0148.jpg
DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0152.jpg
DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0154.jpg
DSC_0155.jpg

Ah, why I dislike aftermarket... The AussiSpeed Dutra Duals are much better than the raw castings that Doug put out but they are not perfect... Lots of grinding and touching up on the Dual and the Offy manifold to get both to be free floating and not touching each other or the studs. This is a _requirement_ for /6 builds, those parts float and move around during thermal cycling. Need to be creative to get the batwings and nuts on the lower side of the manifolds.... wires, screwdrivers and a steady hand required.

DSC_0156.jpg
DSC_0157.jpg
DSC_0158.jpg
DSC_0159.jpg
DSC_0161.jpg
DSC_0162.jpg
DSC_0163.jpg
DSC_0164.jpg
DSC_0165.jpg

More gymnastics to get it together. Finished up the front steering, torqued and cotter pins installed.... nice and safe for the wife now.... Got a SB oil tube and will cut it off to the right length, if I can ever find someone who knows it.... Lots and lots of small details done and she is bolted up for good!

DSC_0166.jpg
DSC_0167.jpg
DSC_0168.jpg
DSC_0169.jpg
DSC_0170.jpg
DSC_0171.jpg
DSC_0172.jpg
DSC_0174.jpg
DSC_0175.jpg

Pertornix is wired in, need to run a wire back to the other side of the ballast resistor for a full 12V.. I always run the resistor with Pertronix, why put more stress on the module for no gain in performance in the range I run the engine. Installed the oil bleed back flapper, spring and tube... all I can see is it hold more oil to make a mess when I change the oil. I guess the real reason is people complained the oil light stayed on too long on cold starts because the filter drained back. Distributor cover shot with clear. I have installed many different torsion boots but this is the first from DMT... Jim knows is stuff, I installed these with my fingers! So easy! Need to installed vacuum plugs in carbs so I can balance them after I get it running. Going back to my old motorcycle days to get plugs that you thread into the carb body.

DSC_0176.jpg
DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0179.jpg
DSC_0180.jpg
DSC_0181.jpg
DSC_0182.jpg
DSC_0183.jpg
DSC_0184.jpg
DSC_0185.jpg

-
Back