1963 Valiant Wagon "Candy girl"

-
Going to be a great wagon. I like that you have a plan, but don't get stuck on the plan just for the sake of a plan. It's your journey, enjoy it wherever it takes you. I missed a 63 2 door when I was just a kid, that was a great car.

Cool project Rani! I look forward to watching this unfold. I'm a big fan of slant sixes with 4 speeds.

IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_0456_2.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg
Talking about Color , you said the brightest white is what you want .

Well I thought the original white on my Dart was bright until I got a Tundra . It makes the Dart's white look dirty . So when I repainted the Dart I used Toyota white and now it pops.
For comparison the Yellow and White pic was taken on a sunny May afternoon , the Tundra was taken in June years earlier , The Turquoise & White was taken at 1 pm in January so the lighting is deferent then the May lighting but the part in the sun is definitely brighter . Duplacolor makes both spray and brush touch up paints that match the Toyota paint.

Hope this helps with your build . Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715551985 View attachment 1715551986 View attachment 1715551987 Talking about Color , you said the brightest white is what you want .

Well I thought the original white on my Dart was bright until I got a Tundra . It makes the Dart's white look dirty . So when I repainted the Dart I used Toyota white and now it pops.
For comparison the Yellow and White pic was taken on a sunny May afternoon , the Tundra was taken in June years earlier , The Turquoise & White was taken at 1 pm in January so the lighting is deferent then the May lighting but the part in the sun is definitely brighter . Duplacolor makes both spray and brush touch up paints that match the Toyota paint.

Hope this helps with your build . Keep up the good work.
100% what I'm thinking. Not sure why the white tones used in the 60s were so dull, but the newer tones sure upped the ante.

The only thing I can think is the 60s were not as flashy as what is accepted today. No idea but I'm definitely looking into a modern white tone because I want it bright, like really bright.

My dad thinks a red interior would look good on this car but I kinda feel like red is overdone and very common out there which is why I'm thinking of not going with red interior

Thanks for the input

Well being that every interior color goes with white, theres plenty of other colors that pop to pick from for an interior. Remember those early 60s gold and light blue interiors. Those go nice with white. The light blue can even be two toned light n dark. So many possibilities with a clean sheet canvas like you have Ranigirl especially with a refrigerator white exterior. How bout making a baby candymatic out of it with red roof stripes.

As a comparison the trailer is '98 Chevy appliance white and not as bright as the Toyota white.
BTW forget Pearl white it looks dirty .

IMG_0492.jpeg

Got the transmission out of the shed and power washed. I am going to try to get the engine and transmission installed to test fit everything, and get the floor hump welded in.

20200627_205837.jpg

20200627_205848.jpg

20200627_205856.jpg

Are you going to run the drum brake looking parking brake thing, or go with a conventional slip yoke setup? I know if I had that val wagon, I'd convert it to BBP and slip an explorer 8.8 disc brake rear under the back, but then again where I am at 8.75's are as rare as hens teeth.

Are you going to run the drum brake looking parking brake thing, or go with a conventional slip yoke setup?
I have a conversation driveshaft that puts the slip yoke behind the flange. Pictures to come later today.

I don't know why people shy away from companion flange transmissions, there are a lot of ways around the driveshaft problem. The 4x4 guys have many solutions with readily available parts.

I have a conversation driveshaft that puts the slip yoke behind the flange. Pictures to come later today.

I don't know why people shy away from companion flange transmissions, there are a lot of ways around the driveshaft problem. The 4x4 guys have many solutions with readily available parts.

I agree. Those old trans are always cheap because of the fear of it all. I admit to rebuild a trunnion setup is a problem for several reasons. But that trunnion can be rebuilt also. The 4 x 4dealis the best idea no doubt.
The trunnion deals were strong enough for the max wedge cars back in their day.

The time hath cometh.

I still need to cut out the floor.

I was installing the slant and 4 speed to test fit everything and no matter what I'd do the passenger side motor mount wouldn't seat.

It's like the transmission tailshaft needed to go towards the driver side and just wouldn't.

I got under the car and pushed on the transmission with my foot and it was just stuck!!!

Then it hit me like a slap, duh, the transmission shifter mount is jammed on the tunnel because the tunnel needs to be cut out.

20200628_164903.jpg

20200628_165052.jpg

20200628_164654.jpg

That will be a sweet ride !
Wagons are so cool !
I have been looking for a wagon.
Most got crushed.
What color will she be ?
How about wheels ?
I look forward to seeing the progress !
White exterior , interior color not being revealed yet because it's rarely seen and kinda unconventional

14 inch steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps.

Yep the 4x4 guys usually put the slip yoke at the axle end but trans end works too .
On your car the trans end is fine . It would be no different than the Ball & Trunnion .

The easiest way is to retain the ball ant trunion flange and just get a slip yoke flange to match it.

I got under the car and pushed on the transmission with my foot and it was just stuck!!!

Then it hit me like a slap, duh, the transmission shifter mount is jammed on the tunnel because the tunnel needs to be cut out.

:lol: just keep listening, it will tell you what it needs :thumbsup:

:lol: just keep listening, it will tell you what it needs :thumbsup:
It sure will tell you what it wants.

Today had a couple setbacks but it was a great day in the shop almost all day.

I had to really wrestle with the engine all the way in and I couldn't get the passenger side mount to seat. No matter what I'd do. Finally I was almost going to lose my cool lol, I looked from underneath and discovered the problem is the oil pan is hitting the k frame.

So I started another thread thinking there might be different k frames for 170 vs. 225. Which is a negative.

The problem is the engine is from my 72 demon and all its 1972 glory and has the wrong oil pan.

The correct early A pan has the sump an inch farther back to clear the k frame. So that pretty much messed up the plan to test fit today.

Car building!!!....... gotta love it.

20200628_195308.jpg

20200628_195341.jpg

So in the car, I cut out the floor for the 4 speed and it's saying peek a boo now lol

First rough cut, still needs trimming and prepping

20200628_204139.jpg

20200628_190032.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to clean up the floors and found that the passenger side is rougher than I thought. The passenger side front is pitted really bad and thin.
The passenger rear has some kind of old repair and it's trash.

The driver side of the floors turned out to be easy better than I thought. I didn't find any soft spots on the driver side. Kinda weird

20200628_185555.jpg

20200628_185600.jpg

20200628_185603.jpg

-
Back