1964 Barracuda (273) Headers - will these work?

-

elm13

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new and learning all the time in the Mopar world.

I am needing/wanting headers for my 273 rebuild... I hate to stick the stock manifold back on but as one can imagine the 273 rebuild has gotten a bit pricey :)

I found these... on the Summit Racing Site...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9064/overview/

The sales rep. withS thought they "might work"... Has any one tried them??? Or have any thoughts??? They are claimed to work for street rod 273 type projects and are "block huggers"... I am hopeful but not holding my breath about these working. If it looks like they will work I will probably spring for the ceramic coated ones but much more importantly... I need them to fit. :)

I cant bring myself to justify the Doug's and tti's I've seen and IF the spitfire's are still available I'm not sure they work and I've not seen very kind reviews of that maker.

Anyway I searched for this specific car for over 20 years. My grandfather bought it new and sold it when I was 15... I happened upon the exact car with my grandfathers name still on insurance papers in the glove box, just a few miles from my home in a storage lot and was able to buy it back. :) Anyway back to headers... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much for whatever insight you can provide!

My son has a set of Spitfires on his '65 Cuda with 340..... the fit is VERY nice. We did have to install a remote oil filter as they come too close to the block for even the shortie oil filter... but I like the cooling and extra oil capacity that comes with the remote filter. (We used the Canton adapter at the block.) We put Remflex gaskets on with them and they sealed right up.

All the poor issues about Spitfire were on delivery time..... I think Layson's is/was making them or an equivalent now....can't say if delivery time has improved. Still pricey.... so you might get lucky and run across some used Spitfires.

And you can check with Schumacher.. but still will be pricey.

There is a member here who modified the Hedman version of those to work in his early A. He moved the #1 pipe out of the collector and rejoined it at the base of the #3 pipe. The passenger's side just fell into place. He did a good job, too. So, they CAN be MADE to work, but they will not drop in. I don't think his car had power steering, either.

I have Spitfires on my car, and they fit and work just fine, even with the 90* filter adapter! As for obtaining them, yea that was the problem when Harold was building them! I didn't have that problem as I got one of the first sets after he made the alterations from the prototype set he was mocking up on my friends 65 race car! I paid $188 delivered and got em in about 2 days!!!

As a cheap alternative to headers consider having your exhaust manifolds acid ported. Have mildly ported heads on the 273 in my 65 valiant and wanted more exhaust flow while keeping stock look. Local shop acid ported my exhaust manifolds for $125. They flow tested em by adding water before and after to check volume amount each log held and calculating difference to show how much material was removed. Gained about 300 cfm's per side if I remember right. Not a gain like headers but much improved over stock and cheap.

Oldschoolcuda

Shorty headers don't make much more power then manifolds, long tube is the way to go, but everything is a compromise of pros and cons.

looking at this design, looks like it may work but still pretty expensive. notice clear area under 3-5 runners. Maybe #1 modded...
$_57.JPG

Hooker Super Comps

-
Back