1964 Dart GT & 1965 Barracuda

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Ok so my deal on a Duster so far has fallen through with my Vette for trade. I have since then found a few other cars that I'm interested in and would like some info and knowledge on.

I will post the adds here so I can get your take on them and if it is a go or no go. I may end up just parting out the Vette and getting my money out of it.

Also with these cars what would be the biggest motor I could put into them with out any cutting?

The First one is the 64 Dart GT (Also has a killer looking T'bird I'm asking about as well in the add I grew up around those). Tell me what to look for and if the rust he says is in the quarter panels should I pass on it.

do they make panels for these cars?

This is the add-

SPECIAL LANDAU Edition, 4500 Produced , Embergloy paint , 390 engine ,96,000 mi , runs good , Solid frame/Floor Pans , interior nice except for kick panels and door panels need replaced , just needs a little TLC. Too many toys . Will make a NICE Antique for someone also have a 1964 Dodge Dart GT 6cyl, auto w/ bucket seats. 14" Mopar Rally wheels , Like new Tires, Interior in Good shape ,Runs , Body has some Rust spots, Solid Frame/Floor pans. Extra Transmission / Rear end and misc. other parts. NICE car for a V8 Swap! $2800

5F75M55J53F33M73p8c616fba5b6bcc9b17a7.jpg

The next one is the 1965 Barracuda, there is no info on the car really in the add, but it looks good in the pics. I have always loved the rear window and I know if that is gone well kiss the car good bye as well.

Here is the add-

UP FOR SALE IS A 1965 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA THIS CAR IS RED IN COLOR HAS 13,000.00 THIS CAR IS IN DRIVING CONDITION.

Thats all it says in the add and it is sitting on the trailer as you can see from the pics, it looks nice.

5Lf5N75Hb3E83I93J6c68884af581c4131e40.jpg

5L45I15G23Kf3Nd3Hcc6827ace39a90721335.jpg

5Lf5Kf5F73ne3Jf3N3c68f47227018acd1586.jpg

I dont know the values on these cars or much really on them so any and all info you can give me would be great.

Thanks everyone.

These cars are going to be about the same moneywise, so if the 64 Dart is around the 2800.00, he is in the ballpark. The Cuda owner however must be watching too much Barrett-Jackson cause nobody would pay anywhere near that $$ for a car that needs door panels, windlace and maybe carpet just from looking at the pics, which are no help as you know!! The condition of the items in the pic are a good indication of the condition of a lot of the car I would guess, and no early Barracuda has sold anywhere near $13,000, except maybe that near mint original car I saw listed a while back!!

That car should be selling for somewhere around the same as the Dart, unless there is a Hemi under the hood or something very high dollar not shown. And judging by his lack of pics, he may be concealing some of the truth about it's condition. The 64 Dart sounds like an honest car, and I'll bet it could be had a few bucks cheaper than the asking price!! I would probably chase that car as he is realistic with his price, and i'd bet the other guy will never be!!! JMO, and good luck with your search!! Geof

...oh, and the back window of the 65 car is a dime a dozen, so if you break it or it's gone, you can come and pick one up at my house for FREE!!!! Oh, and tell that to the "Desert Car Kings" too, although it won't make for as good of a story on TV!!! Geof

I'd go for the Dart (and I'm a Ford guy mostly).

...oh, and the back window of the 65 car is a dime a dozen, so if you break it or it's gone, you can come and pick one up at my house for FREE!!!! Oh, and tell that to the "Desert Car Kings" too, although it won't make for as good of a story on TV!!! Geof

HAHA Yeah I watched that and was like oh man not good. I didnt know they were that easy to find.

Yeah I talked to the Barracuda guy and he is a Chevy guy and may come look at my Vette with the Barracuda but he wanted money to do so and I said no.

I know if I just do the paint on my car and wait three years it will sell for more then what I have in it. I'm sure in an auction now I would get my money out of it.

I may part it out as the parts would get my money for sure.

The guy on the Dart I have left a few messeges so I dont think he wants to sell it any time soon.

The hunt is still on.........

The Barracuda appears to look good. The one thing I notice is that I didn't see the VIN tag on the door post, which I imagine you know could be a problem. While my '65 cuda had the plate the Ct DMV gave me a big rash trying to get the car registered because Chrysler didn't use rivets to hold that plate on.

The Barracuda appears to look good. The one thing I notice is that I didn't see the VIN tag on the door post, which I imagine you know could be a problem. While my '65 cuda had the plate the Ct DMV gave me a big rash trying to get the car registered because Chrysler didn't use rivets to hold that plate on.

I didnt notice that I was thinking it was a certi card out under the fender. Thanks for that info.

I have a guy offering a 79 Jeep CJ lifted plus a $1000 cash. I dont know if I could sell the Jeep fast or not.

If I could get what he is asking for it in my area I would have the Money for the Dart and a 73 Duster I have my eye on.

The Barracuda ad just says "has 13,000", not what he is asking. He is lazy, so don't drive far to see it or might be a waste of time. Doesn't even state the engine type, but does tell us it is red (like we couldn't tell from the photo). Without more info, $2500 tops. Don't believe the Desert Car Kings show. The rear glass isn't $2000. More good glass than good bodies around, so maybe $100 to replace it.

You can get a good idea of rust from where the car has spent its life. If SoCal or Az, no worries, maybe just rusted floor pans. Otherwise, check it closely. Once you get it, treat it so it won't rust later.

Many posts on putting a V-8 in an early A. Basically, change the whole drivetrain and major parts of the steering, suspension, and brakes. Not all is required, but if you put in a 440, you don't want to rely on 9" drum brakes to stop. The saving grace in an early A is that you don't need to change the K-frame. A BB won't buy much power over a SB since not enough room in the engine bay to install a good exhaust, unless you cut out the inner fenders. A 64 also doesn't have much opening for a radiator. If you want a V-8, it would be cheaper to get one with a 273 if you can be happy with that.

More pics of the Barracuda

barracuda.jpg

seats.jpg

motor.jpg

enginebay.jpg

under.jpg

underside.jpg

untitled.jpg

Can someone decode the fender tag I dont have the book to do it. I think they guy says its a 273 in the car but he is not sure. I believe he is a GM guy.

Not to shabby. At least it looks pretty good in the pic. Only problem I see is it will probably have transmission problems. As the kick down rod looks to me bolted down to the intake. Mine was hacked up like that on my GT and I ended up needing a new transmission. Not enough to keep me from buying a car, but something to use a bargaining tool.

Not to shabby. At least it looks pretty good in the pic. Only problem I see is it will probably have transmission problems. As the kick down rod looks to me bolted down to the intake. Mine was hacked up like that on my GT and I ended up needing a new transmission. Not enough to keep me from buying a car, but something to use a bargaining tool.

Thanks I just wanted to get a trained eye on it.

The body condition looks good, from what we can see in the photos. That makes it much more valuable there. Shipping a rust-free CA/AZ car to VA would be $1K. I am not seeing $13K in parts. The intake, carb, and valve covers upgrades are worth $200. Original brakes (are they front disk, if so add $400 if prime condition?). Needs a new interior, including door panels. Redoing the seats is ~$700 in parts. I wouldn't pay over $5K, and maybe start at $3K.

Barracuda looks like it might have dough in the quarters. Common. I think there are fair to poor patches available....but you'd be paying for work and paint that needs redone.
IMO 5K tops if V8, less if 6. If I'm wrong and the quarters are rock solid and original and it's a v8 car, then 10K maybe, if everything else is good/excellent.
Can't see Dart real good, but is worth less than Barracuda, even if same engine, unless body is more solid. Open the vent boxes (on both cars) near the kick panels and put as much of your arm up in there as you can...feel around the bottom of the "stack" and see if it's rusted out. That's a royal pain to fix....and expensive. Also look for rust or repair on the A pillar. Should be noticeable when entering/exiting car.

I love that body style of T Bird, but unless they are original and mint, thay are not worth anything. I don't know why, but they just aren't. You can get a #2 condition one for about 10K.

...and as far as Desert Kings goes...WTF??? I'm not even in the car business and I know that a 67 console is not a 68 console, but is close, and that the one they said wouldn't work, was just as close (could have even been the same year)...and what are the odds that there were brand new interior panels for less that $200 just laying around???

...and that place (DVAP) has a good reputation. I've even heard of them years ago, before the show.

PLEASE!!!!

...and WAY too much forced drama.

Whatever.

...and as far as Desert Kings goes...WTF??? I'm not even in the car business and I know that a 67 console is not a 68 console, but is close, and that the one they said wouldn't work, was just as close (could have even been the same year)...and what are the odds that there were brand new interior panels for less that $200 just laying around???

...and that place (DVAP) has a good reputation. I've even heard of them years ago, before the show.

PLEASE!!!!

...and WAY too much forced drama.

Whatever.

Yeah I bought something from DVAP years ago and the part arrived better then they said it was and I was happy.

I think I may pass on this car as I think my Vette is worth more with it needing paint. I mean low book is 7 on Vette and high book is 12s for a 96 LT4.

I have a guy coming to look at my Vette so I will see what happens. I'm on the hunt for a Mopar but I can't do the body work like I used to be able to after having a stroke (age 29) and I also cant drive the stick in the vette due to that as well.

Looking at a few Dusters, Chargers and I may have a guy coming to look at my Vette this weekend and if I get what I want out of it I will wait and go to Carlisle and get something.

Also there is a 73 Dart Sport I may trade for car is nice.

I do like the early Barracuda something about them I really like.

-
Back