1964 DODGE DART SLANT 6 to a V8

-

64Conv8

64Conv8
Reaction score
Removed a slant 6 from my 64 Dart convertible..built a 318 and am ready to put it in the car.. mixed opinions on replacing the crossmember to a V 8 style whatever that is..?? Shoemacher conversion engine mount is perfect...anyone else done this??? Does it fit ??

You don't need Schumacher mounts, the k member is the same so all you need are 273 factory mounts. You will need the v8 center link also.

Yup - V8 centerlink and mounts - no K frame swap on the early As.

Schumacher mounts in early A body are waste of time and money, as others have said v8 bolts into the K frame without issue just have to change center link

of course you need the proper manifolds and throttle cable/pedal

I have a 66Gt and looking at doing the same thing, these messages have sure been help.. What size wheels do you have? mine are 13" 5x4.25 bolt pattern. I'm looking for info on going to 5 x 4.5" pattern.

I have a 66Gt and looking at doing the same thing, these messages have sure been help.. What size wheels do you have? mine are 13" 5x4.25 bolt pattern. I'm looking for info on going to 5 x 4.5" pattern.

what the one in the picture of my avatar? its a 66 valiant (candian) it has 5x4" (same as yours) bolt pattern with 14" slotted aluminum american racing wheels, hydroboost drum brakes all way around (stops on a dime) its v8 with power steering, locks and windows

you can upgrade to disc brakes with many different options, same with bolt pattern

you are going to hate that power steering. it really limits your exhaust options.

I am putting in a 340 in my 64 now, and going with the stock 273 exhaust because nothing else cheap fits. and most expensive stuff doesn't either.

Removed a slant 6 from my 64 Dart convertible..built a 318 and am ready to put it in the car.. mixed opinions on replacing the crossmember to a V 8 style whatever that is..?? Shoemacher conversion engine mount is perfect...anyone else done this??? Does it fit ??

no needs for a conversion mount. you just need the factory v-8 mounts. the k-frame is the same for a slant and a v-8 in an early abody.

if you can't find nice used mounts then you can get them new from schumacher. http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/63.66aBody.html

exhaust is the other pain in the ***. this is what the factory manifolds look like. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=271974

i know other manifolds will fit in there but with power steering it it may be tough to find a set that fit other then the original type..

do you have a v-8 trans yet? if not you need one of those also because the slant 6 one will not bolt to a v-8. do your self a favor and stay with a 904. it fits those cars a little better.. does that car have a push button automatic? if so you may need to get an aftermarket shifter for it too. a v-8 pushbutton 904 is getting harder and harder to find...

While your at it modify your trans crossmember for dual exhaust. TTI has the diagram on their website.

If you want to keep the pushbutton shifter you'll need a cable shift V8 (A904-A) transmission. This is a 64-65only unit. I have a cable shift V8 front case that you could swap your current guts and tailshaft housing into that I'll let go of cheap

you are going to hate that power steering. it really limits your exhaust options.

I am putting in a 340 in my 64 now, and going with the stock 273 exhaust because nothing else cheap fits. and most expensive stuff doesn't either.

I don't have any issues with dual exhaust with power steering, Dakota manifolds with drivers side plained down some, and full 2 1/4" dual exhaust

nothing hits and it flows better then the factory manifold that was there, car was always power steering, locks and windows were added by me

I don't have any issues with dual exhaust with power steering, Dakota manifolds with drivers side plained down some, and full 2 1/4" dual exhaust

nothing hits and it flows better then the factory manifold that was there, car was always power steering, locks and windows were added by me

Would love to see pictures of your 64
also what trans are you running. I have an 833 with 10.5 clutch.

If you want to keep the pushbutton shifter you'll need a cable shift V8 (A904-A) transmission. This is a 64-65only unit. I have a cable shift V8 front case that you could swap your current guts and tailshaft housing into that I'll let go of cheap

thanx...gonna find out next week if the stuff I have fits..

-
Back