1964 Valiant 4 Speed with Posi .

-

Marlin4130

Reaction score
My 1964 Valiant has the Factory 4 speed and Posi Rear end . The rear wheels have side to side play . And will eventually lock up .
The wheels will not want to turn . May be just the axle bearings . But I am not the expert on this .

My question is how to identify the differential . For 1964 . Chrysler had 2 Posi Read ends . I believe mine to be the smaller
one . Which I do not think parts are available for . My Posi has a more flat rear , removable plate on it . And no tag.
Is there any sort of spotter's guide to tell the difference between the two ? My 66 Formula S Had a 833 and a Posi .
I believe the Posi had a more rounded . Removeable rear plate .

I found a 1964 Dart with a 273 and a 833 in it . If the Rear end is the rebuildable Posi . I would buy it . And use or rebuild .

Any advice appreciated

Here's a photo of various Mopar rear ends. The only one that DOES NOT have a rear access cover is the 8-3/4. That one, the guts come out from the front.

Mopar_rear_id.jpg

Mopar's differentials are "Sure Grip". Posi is a Chevy term.

You've described the little Dana 7 1/4 rear axle. And Mike is right. It's not a posi. That's a GM term for a limited slip differential. Chrysler's marketing name is "Sure Grip".

Whats this Posi you speak of ?

Mopar's differentials are "Sure Grip". Posi is a Chevy term.

You've described the little Dana 7 1/4 rear axle. And Mike is right. It's not a posi. That's a GM term for a limited slip differential. Chrysler's marketing name is "Sure Grip".
Posi SG 4f.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Marlin.
Forgive the "lesson". Us Mopar guys don't usually embrace Chevrolet terms like "Posi". If you mentioned that you had a Rock Crusher 4 speed you'd really catch some flack!
All the automakers had marketing names for their products. Our automatics were called Torqueflites. Gm called theirs Turbo-Hydramatic. Ford called at least one transmission a Cruis-o-matic.
Ever heard of a "Top Loader" 4 speed? Ford.
Traction Lok? Ford differential along with Detroit Locker.
Ma Mopar had their own names...."Sure Grip" was what they called their limited slip differentials. I know, it doesn't roll off of the tongue like Posi does but it is the correct term.

View attachment 1716153213

Welcome to the forum. Marlin.
Forgive the "lesson". Us Mopar guys don't usually embrace Chevrolet terms like "Posi". If you mentioned that you had a Rock Crusher 4 speed you'd really catch some flack!
All the automakers had marketing names for their products. Our automatics were called Torqueflites. Gm called theirs Turbo-Hydramatic. Ford called at least one transmission a Cruis-o-matic.
Ever heard of a "Top Loader" 4 speed? Ford.
Traction Lok? Ford differential along with Detroit Locker.
Ma Mopar had their own names...."Sure Grip" was what they called their limited slip differentials. I know, it doesn't roll off of the tongue like Posi does but it is the correct term.
Thanks ! I won't go into detail . I fully respect the lesson . As for the 833 . I have always termed it as a 833 . Had a Barracuda and Charger . I promised myself . Once I could not lift the 833 . It's time to quit . Probably a slide at this point . I really appreciate all this .

Don't take our corrections as personal. We're trying to indoctrinate you into the fold. We don't want a fellow Mopar brother soundin like an idiot around a bunch of other car guys. We all started somewhere. You got some pics? We love pics around here.

My recommendation. Don't bother trying to repair the 7 1/4 rear, unless it just needs axle bearings/seals. It is getting real hard to source parts. You should consider upgrading the rear. If you do upgrade the rear, don't toss out the 7 1/4. There might be salvageable parts that someone could use.

Thanks ! I won't go into detail . I fully respect the lesson . As for the 833 . I have always termed it as a 833 . Had a Barracuda and Charger . I promised myself . Once I could not lift the 833 . It's time to quit . Probably a slide at this point . I really appreciate all this .
Don't quit if you cannot lift a 833, just buy a trans jack.

My recommendation. Don't bother trying to repair the 7 1/4 rear, unless it just needs axle bearings/seals. It is getting real hard to source parts. You should consider upgrading the rear. If you do upgrade the rear, don't toss out the 7 1/4. There might be salvageable parts that someone could use.

It may just need new Bearings . I think I will do one side to experiment . Thanks - I think it's worth a try indeed .
With the car elevated . The rear wheels "Hop" So the bearings are indeed gone . No leakage .

It may just need new Bearings . I think I will do one side to experiment . Thanks - I think it's worth a try indeed .
With the car elevated . The rear wheels "Hop" So the bearings are indeed gone . No leakage .
What part of Washington are you in ?

-
Back